Cell Modem on Wireless network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by JAY, May 14, 2009.

  1. JAY

    JAY Guest

    Hi

    I have a Netopia DSL Modem/Wireless router which is working fine - it
    provides broadband for two PC machines and my laptop all running Windows XP
    Home SP3 and all three computers are networked through the router.

    But I just bought a USB Stick Modem from Vodafone and I my plan is to close
    my expensive account with the landline phone company (I only have the land
    line because I need it for the Broadband ADSL connection).

    My plan is to slip the USB modem it a slot on a PC in my upstairs office and
    share that internet connection (via the Netopia wireless router newtork).
    Naturally the DSL connection on that modem will be unplugged.

    Problem is I tried all this. Disconnected DSL, put Cell modem in USB port as
    planned (that machine got excellent 3G+ broadband connection). Set that
    machine to share the internet connection and I JUST CANNOT GET IT TO WORK.
    The PC with the so-called shared connection works fine but I cannot get any
    other machine to connected to the Internet via that one. I have read loads of
    Microsoft documentation from the website and did all they suggest to no avail.

    I would really appreciate any help preferably from someone who has actually
    done this themselves successfully.

    Thanks a lot.

    Jay.

    JAY, May 14, 2009

  2. JAY

    Donald Guest

    Maybe you can try to use a crossover cable to connect the two PCs together
    or use a hub or switch instead of your router. I guess there are some
    settings on your router which may have blocked the connection through your
    gateway PC. There is a way for you to connect to the router by opening a web
    page on one of your PC and change the settings there. You can check the
    manual of your router and see how that works. When you are using DSL, some
    settings about PPPoe protocol may be there. You will need to clear that. It
    is better to use static IP address for every PC other than the gateway PC
    which may be assigned an IP address from the ISP of your current ISP. Which
    Operating System are you using on the gateway PC with the modem?

    Donald, May 16, 2009