    get what you pay for" apply here?? Any insight is greatly appreciated, I am
    not sure that maybe the name (pentium vs. celeron) is what's going on and
    maybe celeron would work as well and save us some money. TIA
    martin loomis, May 31, 2004

  2. martin loomis

    ICee Guest

    martin loomis wrote:
    > I.m shopping around and see that a computer with a 2.8ghz Celeron
    > processor cost like $300 less than a P4 at same speed, I've been told
    > that celerons are pentium chips that were flawed( batch of 3.0ghz cut
    > out of a sheet but those that don't pass testing are labeled celeron
    > at a lower speed(true?). Also been told that a celeron's L2 cache is
    > lower than a pentium, don't know how to check that so am wondering if
    > that is true. Does the old saying, "You get what you pay for" apply
    > here?? Any insight is greatly appreciated, I am not sure that maybe
    > the name (pentium vs. celeron) is what's going on and maybe celeron
    > would work as well and save us some money. TIA

    The Celeron has 128 KB L2 cache and the P4 has 256KB, 512KB or 1MB
    cache, depending on the model. The FSB (actually data transfer rate) is
    faster on some Pentium 4 models also.
    The specs of each are readily available from Intel's site:
    http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/processors/pentium4/
    http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/processors/celeron/
    ICee, May 31, 2004

  3. martin loomis

    Frederic Guest

    http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/processors/celeron/index.htm?iid=sr celeron

    http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/processors/pentium4/index.htm?iid=ipp_dlc_celeron body_p4p

    P4 is designed for performance. Celeron for office application purpose.

    Celeron are definitively not bad P4 chips.

    Celeron will make you save some money. P4 will make you save time (waiting
    after your computer)

    A good compromise for a normal user would be to have a celeron with a good
    video card.
    It's a waste to have a P4 with a cheap video card that requires the
    processor to calculate images to be send to the monitor.

    Tom's hardware publish regurlarly benchmarks about processors
    http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/index.html

    --
    Frederic
    MCP, IT Project+, i-Net+, CIW Associate, A+

    Frederic, May 31, 2004
  4. martin loomis

    Andy Guest

    > I.m shopping around and see that a computer with a 2.8ghz Celeron

    processor
    > cost like $300 less than a P4 at same speed, I've been told that celerons
    > are pentium chips that were flawed( batch of 3.0ghz cut out of a sheet but
    > those that don't pass testing are labeled celeron at a lower speed(true?).
    > Also been told that a celeron's L2 cache is lower than a pentium, don't

    know
    > how to check that so am wondering if that is true. Does the old saying,

    "You
    > get what you pay for" apply here?? Any insight is greatly appreciated, I

    am
    > not sure that maybe the name (pentium vs. celeron) is what's going on and
    > maybe celeron would work as well and save us some money. TIA

    I have 1.7 GHz Celeron and AIW 8500 ( all in wonder) video card and it works
    great. Never had a problem.
    Andy, May 31, 2004
  5. martin loomis

    Unknown Guest

    If the objective is to save money, stick with the Celeron.

    Unknown, May 31, 2004
  6. martin loomis

    Plato Guest

    martin loomis wrote:

    > I.m shopping around and see that a computer with a 2.8ghz Celeron processor
    > cost like $300 less than a P4 at same speed, I've been told that celerons
    > are pentium chips that were flawed( batch of 3.0ghz cut out of a sheet but

    Incorrect. Are you getting your advice from a vacuum/whitegoods/pc
    salesman at a discount store?

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jun 2, 2004