    in speed than a pentium 4 label as having a speed of 1.7 Ghz. Is it true and
    if so by how much? Any reply would be greatly appreciated. Thanx a lot.

    Steven
    steven, May 31, 2004

  2. steven

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Toolman Tim, May 31, 2004

  3. steven

    Hamman Guest

    "steven" <> wrote in message
    news:40ba8d19$...
    > i am told by someone that a celeron with a speed of 1.7 Ghz is actually

    lowe
    > in speed than a pentium 4 label as having a speed of 1.7 Ghz. Is it true

    and
    > if so by how much? Any reply would be greatly appreciated. Thanx a lot.
    >
    > Steven

    Dont touch a celeron (or duron for that matter) with a 10ft clown pole.
    Especially when you can get a full AthlonXP for the same price as a Celly.

    hamman
    Hamman, May 31, 2004
  4. steven

    Andy Guest

    "Hamman" <> wrote in message

    > "steven" <> wrote in message
    > > i am told by someone that a celeron with a speed of 1.7 Ghz is actually

    > lowe
    > > in speed than a pentium 4 label as having a speed of 1.7 Ghz. Is it true

    > and
    > > if so by how much? Any reply would be greatly appreciated. Thanx a lot.
    > >
    > > Steven
    > >

    > Dont touch a celeron (or duron for that matter) with a 10ft clown pole.
    > Especially when you can get a full AthlonXP for the same price as a Celly.
    >
    > hamman

    Athlon is prone to overheating which causes locking (freezing). I lost a few
    hundred dollars to change hardware towards Pentium.
    Andy, May 31, 2004
  5. Andy wrote:

    > Athlon is prone to overheating which causes locking (freezing). I lost a few

    ....if you don't cool it with decent hardware.

    Similarly, a tire is prone to going flat if you drive a nail into it.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    AOL Diary http://snipurl.com/aoldiary
    Blinky the Shark, May 31, 2004
  6. steven

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Mon, 31 May 2004 14:52:45 GMT, "Andy" <>
    scribbled:

    >Athlon is prone to overheating which causes locking (freezing). I lost a few
    >hundred dollars to change hardware towards Pentium.

    No, they're not.

    Riddles II, v3
    - T. Pratchett
    -= Hawk =-, May 31, 2004
  7. steven

    Martik Guest

    >> Dont touch a celeron (or duron for that matter) with a 10ft clown pole.
    >> Especially when you can get a full AthlonXP for the same price as a
    >> Celly.
    >>
    >> hamman

    1.6ghz Duron is $59CDN vs $100 for cheapest Athlon (2200) - not worth the
    price difference unless you're on a very tight budget.

    > Athlon is prone to overheating which causes locking (freezing). I lost a
    > few
    > hundred dollars to change hardware towards Pentium.

    Pentium has better thermal protection but most MB's now have built-in
    protection for Athlons
    Martik, May 31, 2004
  8. steven

    Kenny Guest

    what kind of trash are you telling people to do you moron!
    Celerons are great.

    www.computerboom.net
    "Hamman" <> wrote in message

    > "steven" <> wrote in message
    > > i am told by someone that a celeron with a speed of 1.7 Ghz is actually

    > lowe
    > > in speed than a pentium 4 label as having a speed of 1.7 Ghz. Is it true

    > and
    > > if so by how much? Any reply would be greatly appreciated. Thanx a lot.
    > >
    > > Steven
    > >

    > Dont touch a celeron (or duron for that matter) with a 10ft clown pole.
    > Especially when you can get a full AthlonXP for the same price as a Celly.
    >
    > hamman

    ---
    Kenny, May 31, 2004
  9. steven

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Yes, Celerons are great. But they are not P4's downgraded because of not
    passing tests. They are a different CPU, with limited cache memory. We use
    Celerons at work on all but the CAD workstations, since they do great with
    MS Office type products. IMO, for graphics intensive applications, the P4 is
    going to perform enough better to pay for itself.

    Toolman Tim, May 31, 2004
  10. Once upon a time, OK, it really happened on Mon, 31 May 2004 14:06:14
    -0700, "Toolman Tim" <TCMayer_at_charter_net_invalid> claimed the
    following truncated trash was the absolute, fucking truth:

    >Yes, Celerons are great. But they are not P4's downgraded because of not
    >passing tests. They are a different CPU, with limited cache memory. We use
    >Celerons at work on all but the CAD workstations, since they do great with
    >MS Office type products. IMO, for graphics intensive applications, the P4 is
    >going to perform enough better to pay for itself.

    Celerons are nothing but P4s with 128 kb of cache. They have the exact
    same core.

    Dr Harvie Wahl-Banghor

    >"Kenny" <> wrote in message
    >> what kind of trash are you telling people to do you moron!
    >> Celerons are great.
    >>

    >> www.computerboom.net
    >> "Hamman" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "steven" <> wrote in message

    >actually
    >> > lowe

    >true
    >> > and

    >lot.

    >> > Dont touch a celeron (or duron for that matter) with a 10ft clown pole.
    >> > Especially when you can get a full AthlonXP for the same price as a

    >Celly.
    >> >
    >> > hamman
    >> >

    >> ---

    ---

    Zittmutter offers McDougal some oral carnal knowledge in Message-ID: <>
    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, May 31, 2004
  11. Martik wrote:

    >>> Dont touch a celeron (or duron for that matter) with a 10ft clown pole.
    >>> Especially when you can get a full AthlonXP for the same price as a
    >>> Celly.

    >>> hamman

    > 1.6ghz Duron is $59CDN vs $100 for cheapest Athlon (2200) - not worth the
    > price difference unless you're on a very tight budget.

    >> Athlon is prone to overheating which causes locking (freezing). I lost a
    >> few
    >> hundred dollars to change hardware towards Pentium.

    > Pentium has better thermal protection but most MB's now have built-in
    > protection for Athlons

    If you don't run a POS HSF, AMD's fine.

    Blinky the Shark, May 31, 2004
  12. steven

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor" <> wrote in message
    > Once upon a time, OK, it really happened on Mon, 31 May 2004 14:06:14
    > -0700, "Toolman Tim" <TCMayer_at_charter_net_invalid> claimed the
    > following truncated trash was the absolute, fucking truth:
    >
    > >Yes, Celerons are great. But they are not P4's downgraded because of not
    > >passing tests. They are a different CPU, with limited cache memory. We

    use
    > >Celerons at work on all but the CAD workstations, since they do great

    with
    > >MS Office type products. IMO, for graphics intensive applications, the P4

    is
    > >going to perform enough better to pay for itself.

    > Celerons are nothing but P4s with 128 kb of cache. They have the exact
    > same core.

    Which core? P4 has different flavors. I would guess of course that the
    Celeron comes without the hyper threading, for instance...

    My point was that the Celeron is *not* a P4 that failed a speed test, as the
    OP had queried, and that the "fully loaded" P4 was better for certain
    applications.
    Toolman Tim, Jun 1, 2004
  13. steven

    Martik Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message

    >> 1.6ghz Duron is $59CDN vs $100 for cheapest Athlon (2200) - not worth the
    >> price difference unless you're on a very tight budget.

    >>> Athlon is prone to overheating which causes locking (freezing). I lost a
    >>> few
    >>> hundred dollars to change hardware towards Pentium.

    >> Pentium has better thermal protection but most MB's now have built-in
    >> protection for Athlons

    > If you don't run a POS HSF, AMD's fine.

    Until it gets so clogged with dust it's useless. I regularly blast mine out
    with 40psi!
    Martik, Jun 1, 2004
  14. steven

    fuctifino Guest

    "Martik" <martik@_nospam_telus.net> wrote in message

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message

    pole.

    > >> 1.6ghz Duron is $59CDN vs $100 for cheapest Athlon (2200) - not worth

    the
    > >> price difference unless you're on a very tight budget.

    > >> Pentium has better thermal protection but most MB's now have built-in
    > >> protection for Athlons

    > > If you don't run a POS HSF, AMD's fine.

    > Until it gets so clogged with dust it's useless. I regularly blast mine

    out
    > with 40psi!
    >
    > Isnt it risky to blast out crap at 40psi ? Im not an expert and Im sure

    youll point out Im wrong But cant that course some sort of static that can
    knacker the chip? I thought it would put some sort of possitive charge in
    the air thats all if it is put under compression and blasted out ?
    Im probably wrong and was just typing out loud so ignore me if i am.
    fuctifino, Jun 1, 2004
  15. steven

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "fuctifino" <> wrote in message

    > "Martik" <martik@_nospam_telus.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message

    > pole.

    > the

    lost

    built-in

    > > > If you don't run a POS HSF, AMD's fine.

    > > Until it gets so clogged with dust it's useless. I regularly blast mine

    > out
    > > with 40psi!
    > >
    > > Isnt it risky to blast out crap at 40psi ? Im not an expert and Im sure

    > youll point out Im wrong But cant that course some sort of static that can
    > knacker the chip? I thought it would put some sort of possitive charge

    in
    > the air thats all if it is put under compression and blasted out ?
    > Im probably wrong and was just typing out loud so ignore me if i am.

    I don't know about *that*, but I've never had a problem. Except for the time
    the compressor was set at 90 lbs, and it blew the jumpers off the
    motherboard! Took me *hours* to figure out that mess <g>
    Toolman Tim, Jun 1, 2004
  16. steven

    Michel Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > "Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Once upon a time, OK, it really happened on Mon, 31 May 2004 14:06:14
    >>-0700, "Toolman Tim" <TCMayer_at_charter_net_invalid> claimed the
    >>following truncated trash was the absolute, fucking truth:
    >>

    >>>Yes, Celerons are great. But they are not P4's downgraded because of not
    >>>passing tests. They are a different CPU, with limited cache memory. We

    > use
    >
    >>>Celerons at work on all but the CAD workstations, since they do great

    > with
    >
    >>>MS Office type products. IMO, for graphics intensive applications, the P4

    > is
    >
    >>>going to perform enough better to pay for itself.

    >>Celerons are nothing but P4s with 128 kb of cache. They have the exact
    >>same core.

    > Which core? P4 has different flavors. I would guess of course that the
    > Celeron comes without the hyper threading, for instance...
    >
    > My point was that the Celeron is *not* a P4 that failed a speed test, as the
    > OP had queried, and that the "fully loaded" P4 was better for certain
    > applications.

    I have an AthlonXP 2500+ and all the 4 computer I have at home work on
    AthlonXP from 1000Mhz to 1837Mhz and I have no problem on biggest thing
    is that your fondation is at important as your roof to make an analogies
    with building a house if your Motherboard is a crappy one your CPU will
    be as good as the Motherboard you have to support it. Like a great
    amplifier with crappy speaker will give you crappy sound.

    Both CPU are very good Intel or AMD will work fine but if you look at
    same speed your dollars might go further on a AMD based PC but again
    that depend of what you do and if you follow always the crowd or if you
    lead the crowd.

    If I could afford the latest I would go with the 64 from AMD that is
    fully compatible with 32 bits OS and software, another good point I
    should add is that without AMD, Intel will still sell 800Mhz P4 to us
    without any shame.

    To be honest for my next I should said next motherboard could be a Intel
    based PC as I feel that I should have a P4 close by so that I don't
    loose touch with Intel but making sure that I don't give them everything
    without a fair fight :). Healthy competition people bring healthy market
    no the other way around.

    Michel
    Michel, Jun 1, 2004
  17. steven

    Martik Guest

    >> Until it gets so clogged with dust it's useless. I regularly blast mine

    > out
    >> with 40psi!
    >>
    >> Isnt it risky to blast out crap at 40psi ? Im not an expert and Im sure

    > youll point out Im wrong But cant that course some sort of static that can
    > knacker the chip? I thought it would put some sort of possitive charge
    > in
    > the air thats all if it is put under compression and blasted out ?
    > Im probably wrong and was just typing out loud so ignore me if i am.

    I really don't know but never had a problem. It sure cleans the hell out of
    the PS and HS though.
    Martik, Jun 1, 2004
  18. Martik wrote:

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message

    >> If you don't run a POS HSF, AMD's fine.

    > Until it gets so clogged with dust it's useless. I regularly blast mine out
    > with 40psi!

    My inbound air is filtered, so there's no mung inside the case. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 1, 2004
  19. Toolman Tim wrote:

    > I don't know about *that*, but I've never had a problem. Except for
    > the time the compressor was set at 90 lbs, and it blew the jumpers off
    > the motherboard! Took me *hours* to figure out that mess <g>

    I'd love to see a GIF of your face when that happened. I can't decide
    if an audio track would show you laughing your ass off (at yourself[1]), or
    unreeling a long string of profanities. Come to think of it, I think I
    can can picture you doing both at the same time. :)

    [1]That was definitely one of those times where all you can do is point
    your finger at yourself and say, "I found the doofus!" :)

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 1, 2004
  20. Michel wrote:

    > If I could afford the latest I would go with the 64 from AMD that is
    > fully compatible with 32 bits OS and software, another good point I
    > should add is that without AMD, Intel will still sell 800Mhz P4 to us
    > without any shame.

    ....for $500.

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 1, 2004