Celeron Prescott + Overclock

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Ctrl=A4+/Alt+=A4/Del=A4+=29=2, Apr 14, 2006.

  1. Hello everyone,

    I read the post named "building a new PC,help" and was intrigued by
    the talk of overclocking a CPU. Considering I have no experience with
    it, I thought I would inquire as to what all was entailed in doing
    this. And also do they run hotter, any disadvantages? If someone
    could take the time to read the voluminous amount of information I
    provide below and perhaps kind of tell me step by step what I need to
    do if it is even a wise idea with what I have to even try to overclock.

    My CPU is a 2.53GHz, Celeron Prescott, 256MB L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB.

    Here is some info on my motherboard taken from Fresh Diagnose. It is
    a Dell motherboard. I didn't know if anyone would need this
    information or not to tell me if I should try to overclock, but
    figured it couldn't hurt.

    Processor Info (from BIOS)
    Socket Designation Microprocessor
    Processor Type Central Processor
    Processor Family Specific Pentium Version
    Manufacturer Intel
    Procesor ID 00000F41-BFEBFBFF
    Supported Voltage(s) 1.1 Volts
    Current Voltage 1.1 Volts
    External Clock 533 MHz
    Maximum Speed 3600 MHz
    Current Speed 2533 MHz
    Processor Status CPU Socket Populated, Status Enabled
    Processor Upgrade ZIF Socket
    L1 Cache Handle $700
    L2 Cache Handle $701
    L3 Cache Handle N/A

    Motherboard Information

    On Board Devices
    Device 1 AC'97 Audio Controller (Sound Card, Status
    Enabled)

    System Power Controls
    Next Scheduled Power-on Dec 00, at 00:00:00

    Cooling Device
    Temperature Probe Handle None
    Device Type Fan
    Status OK
    Cooling Unit Group None
    OEM Defined $00000000
    Nominal Speed 0 rpm

    And I know that this is probably a huge information overload and many
    of you may be aggravated by the amount of information I am including.
    But, I wasn't sure what all was needed, like I said, I have no clue
    really.

    Here is some info on the Processor:

    Model Intel Pentium 4
    Type Primary Processor
    Vendor Intel Corporation
    Family Intel P4 Family
    Hardcoded Name Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.53GHz
    Frequency 2527 MHz
    Family/Model/Stepping 15/4/1
    Logical CPU Count 1
    CL Flush 8

    Detailed Info
    Address Bus Width 36 Bit
    Core Details 126 µOPs, 48 Loads, 24
    Stores In-Flight
    Data Bus Width 64 Bit
    Execution Speed Up to 6 µOPs/Cycle
    Execution Units Double-pumped ALU, FP
    Move/Store/FXCH, Double-pumped ALU,
    Slow ALU, FP Execute, Load,
    Store
    Floating Point Integrated
    Instruction Decoder 1x IA-32/Cycle
    Instruction Set IA-32
    Multimedia MMX, SSE, SSE2
    Multiprocessing SMP, using integrated local
    xAPICs
    Physical Memory 2^36 Bit (64 GB)
    Pipeline Depth 20 Stages
    Power Management HLT, STPCLK, SMI/SMM, Sleep,
    Deep Sleep,
    Automatic Clock Throttling
    Processor Core RISC, Out-of-order and
    Speculative Execution
    Processor Modes Real, Protected, Virtual,
    Paging, SMM, Probe Mode
    Registers 32 Bit Integer, 80 Bit FP,
    64 Bit MM, 128 Bit SSE and SSE2
    Split Voltage Yes (Automatically
    determined via VID Pins)
    Supported External Bus Speed 100, 133 MHz Quad-Pumped, AGTL+
    Supported Multiplier 13.0x, 14.0x, ..., 24.0x
    Virtual Memory 65,528 GB (~64 TB)

    Cache Configuration
    L1 Code TLB 4 KB pages, 4-way set
    associative, 32 entries
    4 KB/4 MB/2 MB pages, fully
    associative, 128 entries
    L1 Data TLB 4 KB/4 MB pages, fully
    associative, 64 entries
    L2 Cache None
    Trace L1 Cache 12 KµOPs, 8-way set associative
    Unified L2 Cache 256 KB size, 4-way set
    associative, 64 byte lines, sectored

    Processor Features
    Floating-point Unit on chip (FPU) Yes
    MMX Instructions (MMX) Yes
    MMX Instruction Extensions (MMX+) No
    3DNow! Instructions No
    3DNow! Instruction Extensions (3DNow!+) No
    Streaming SIMD Extensions (SSE) Yes
    Streaming SIMD Extensions 2 (SSE2) Yes
    Multiprocessor Capable No
    x86-64 Long Mode (LM) No
    Virtual Mode Extension (VME) Yes
    Debugging Extension (DE) Yes
    Page Size Extension (PSE) Yes
    Time Stamp Counter (TSC) Yes
    Model Specific Registers (MSR) Yes
    Physical Address Extension (PAE) Yes
    Machine Check Exception (MCE) Yes
    CMPXCHG8 Instruction (CX8) Yes
    On-chip APIC Hardware (APIC) Yes
    Fast System Call (SEP) Yes
    Memory Type Range Registers (MTRR) Yes
    Page Global Enable (PGE) Yes
    Machine Check Architecture (MCA) Yes
    Conditional Move Instruction (CMOV) Yes
    Page Attribute Table (PAT) Yes
    36-bit Page Size Extension (PSE36) Yes
    96-bit Processor Number (PSN) No
    CLFLUSH Instruction (CLFSH) Yes
    Debug Trace Store (DTS) Yes
    ACPI Supported (ACPI) Yes
    Fast Save and Restore (FXSR) Yes
    Self Snoop (SS) Yes
    Thermal Monitor Supported (TM) Yes
    IA-64 Processor Capable (IA-64) No

    If any of you are still awake and were kind enough to respond to this,
    I thank you and look forward to reading what you have to say.

    Alt

    --
    All of Usenet is in a psychological, emotional, and antisocial free fall
    into an abyss and fully immersed in a drowning pool of mental illness.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Ctrl=A4+/Alt+=A4/Del=A4+=29=2, Apr 14, 2006

  2. Again, not sure if this information is needed but I am using Windows
    XP-SP2 with 512MB RAM.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Ctrl=A4+/Alt+=A4/Del=A4+=29=2, Apr 14, 2006

  3. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Ctrl=A4+/Alt+=A4/Del=A4+=29=2

    Pen Guest

    ""(Ctrl¤+/Alt+¤/Del¤+)""
    <""Alt-Ctrl-Del\"@________------------{{{{ }}}}.net"> wrote in message
    > Again, not sure if this information is needed but I am using Windows
    > XP-SP2 with 512MB RAM.

    Dell boards don't overclock. They don't have the parts
    needed. The motherboard must support overclocking.

    Pen, Apr 14, 2006
  4. Pen wrote:
    > ""(Ctrl¤+/Alt+¤/Del¤+)""
    > <""Alt-Ctrl-Del\"@________------------{{{{ }}}}.net"> wrote in message
    >> Again, not sure if this information is needed but I am using Windows
    >> XP-SP2 with 512MB RAM.

    > Dell boards don't overclock. They don't have the parts
    > needed. The motherboard must support overclocking.

    Okay, thank you very much Pen. At least I didn't get my hopes up for
    too long before I found out it couldn't be done.

    Alt

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Ctrl=A4+/Alt+=A4/Del=A4+=29=2, Apr 14, 2006