Cel-Phone Question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Jul 21, 2007.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello,

    Tried to find a cel phone forum somewhere, but couldn't come up with one.
    So, will take the liberty of asking here, as it seems everyone on this forum
    is so smart about most anything electrical.

    Have had a Samsung a650 cel phone, with Verizon service, for a year or so
    now.
    Has always worked very well.

    Today, for the first time ever, the screen lit up just fine when the cover
    was opened, but
    couldn't send, receive, or access any messages that were left.

    The battery indicator showed a full charge.

    Past experience with other gadgets has shown that sometimes plugging and
    unplug the gadget works to reset things, when there is a problem.

    So, for the heck of it, I took out the batteries, replaced them, and now
    everything works just fine, like always.

    So, can anyone explain what might have happened, please ?
    Just would like to learn a bit about this.
    Trying to call Verizon service to ask is hopeless.

    Is this a common cel-phone phenomena ?

    Thanks,
    Bob
    Robert11, Jul 21, 2007

  2. Robert11

    meerkat Guest

    "Robert11" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Tried to find a cel phone forum somewhere, but couldn't come up with one.
    > So, will take the liberty of asking here, as it seems everyone on this
    > forum is so smart about most anything electrical.
    >
    > Have had a Samsung a650 cel phone, with Verizon service, for a year or so
    > now.
    > Has always worked very well.
    >
    > Today, for the first time ever, the screen lit up just fine when the cover
    > was opened, but
    > couldn't send, receive, or access any messages that were left.
    >
    > The battery indicator showed a full charge.
    >
    > Past experience with other gadgets has shown that sometimes plugging and
    > unplug the gadget works to reset things, when there is a problem.
    >
    > So, for the heck of it, I took out the batteries, replaced them, and now
    > everything works just fine, like always.
    >
    > So, can anyone explain what might have happened, please ?
    > Just would like to learn a bit about this.
    > Trying to call Verizon service to ask is hopeless.
    >
    > Is this a common cel-phone phenomena ?

    Put it down to a `glitch`, or poor battery connection.
    If it happens regularly, you might have a problem.
    meerkat, Jul 21, 2007

  3. Robert11

    Guest

    "Robert11" <> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >Tried to find a cel phone forum somewhere, but couldn't come up with one.
    >So, will take the liberty of asking here, as it seems everyone on this forum
    >is so smart about most anything electrical.
    >
    >Have had a Samsung a650 cel phone, with Verizon service, for a year or so
    >now.
    >Has always worked very well.
    >
    >Today, for the first time ever, the screen lit up just fine when the cover
    >was opened, but
    >couldn't send, receive, or access any messages that were left.
    >
    >The battery indicator showed a full charge.
    >
    >Past experience with other gadgets has shown that sometimes plugging and
    >unplug the gadget works to reset things, when there is a problem.
    >
    >So, for the heck of it, I took out the batteries, replaced them, and now
    >everything works just fine, like always.
    >
    >So, can anyone explain what might have happened, please ?
    >Just would like to learn a bit about this.
    >Trying to call Verizon service to ask is hopeless.
    >
    >Is this a common cel-phone phenomena ?

    It's common, when you remove the battery you are resetting the OS.

    I do this to my Nokia when it hangs - usually due to bad software I've
    installed.
    --

    http://www.onahorse.com/
    , Jul 21, 2007
  4. Robert11

    philo Guest

    "Robert11" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Tried to find a cel phone forum somewhere, but couldn't come up with one.
    > So, will take the liberty of asking here, as it seems everyone on this

    forum
    > is so smart about most anything electrical.
    >
    > Have had a Samsung a650 cel phone, with Verizon service, for a year or so
    > now.
    > Has always worked very well.
    >
    > Today, for the first time ever, the screen lit up just fine when the cover
    > was opened, but
    > couldn't send, receive, or access any messages that were left.
    >
    > The battery indicator showed a full charge.
    >
    > Past experience with other gadgets has shown that sometimes plugging and
    > unplug the gadget works to reset things, when there is a problem.
    >
    > So, for the heck of it, I took out the batteries, replaced them, and now
    > everything works just fine, like always.
    >
    > So, can anyone explain what might have happened, please ?
    > Just would like to learn a bit about this.
    > Trying to call Verizon service to ask is hopeless.
    >
    > Is this a common cel-phone phenomena ?

    If your cellphone had been a computer that had locked up...
    you essentially re-booted it...
    and no...it's not a common problem

    philo, Jul 21, 2007