    Anybody knows a good package cd (wideos) for the MCSD
    program?

    , Feb 2, 2005

  2. Guest Guest

    From MSDN website, you can download hundreds of pre-recored webcasts ..

    From Microsoft's MSDN website, you can download hundreds of pre-recored
    webcasts. They are not specifically geared toward preparing for MCSD
    certification, but present information covered by the exams. I download the
    audio portion to a digital voice recorder and listen during my commute to
    work.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/showsandwebcasts/

    "" <> wrote in
    message news:27c601c50964$c3268bb0$...

    Guest, Feb 3, 2005

  3. Re: From MSDN website, you can download hundreds of pre-recored webcasts ..

    >From Microsoft's MSDN website, you can download hundreds of pre-recored
    >webcasts. They are not specifically geared toward preparing for MCSD
    >certification, but present information covered by the exams. I download the
    >audio portion to a digital voice recorder and listen during my commute to
    >work.
    >http://msdn.microsoft.com/showsandwebcasts/

    I'm sure this will fall on deaf ears.

    The amount of information and knowledge (a lot of it free) that ms
    provide is truly awesome. It makes me think, why are so many crap
    systems produced on microsoft platforms? Then I take a look in this ng
    and reason becomes totally clear....

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Feb 3, 2005
  4. UAError Guest

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere <.@> wrote:

    >>From Microsoft's MSDN website, you can download hundreds of pre-recored
    >>webcasts. They are not specifically geared toward preparing for MCSD
    >>certification, but present information covered by the exams. I download the
    >>audio portion to a digital voice recorder and listen during my commute to
    >>work.
    >>http://msdn.microsoft.com/showsandwebcasts/

    >I'm sure this will fall on deaf ears.
    >
    >The amount of information and knowledge (a lot of it free) that ms
    >provide is truly awesome. It makes me think, why are so many crap
    >systems produced on microsoft platforms? Then I take a look in this ng
    >and reason becomes totally clear....
    >
    >Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    ....hhhmmm...

    Maybe it has something to do with the fact that MS is still
    pursuing the "easy to use" development tool, rather than
    focusing on the much more elusive and difficult "highly
    productive" development environment.

    I mean its cute that you can drag a data connection from the
    server explorer and drop it as a ready made class - but that
    looses its novelty pretty quickly. And while you can quickly
    generate all sorts of gizmos with next to no work - as soon
    as you are trying to get any real work done and you need to
    deviate from MS's happy path - then you actually have to
    know what's going on ANYWAY.

    And while components, frameworks, application blocks do
    eventually enhance productivity they also steepen and / or
    lengthen the initial learning curve considerably - to the
    point that these technologies are replaced by the next
    generation when you finally after two years or so figure out
    how to do something in 3 lines that originally took you 30
    (OK, I'm exaggerating here). None of this will ever enable
    an epsilon minus semi-moron to develop software properly -
    but it does make people who know what they are doing more
    productive.

    And where does this attitude come from that anyone who
    barely knows how to navigate MS Word should also be capable
    of developing software?

    The industrial revolution did in fact allow lower skilled
    workers to produce more goods (after some investment on part
    of the factory owners). However the manufacturing metaphor
    does not translate very well to software development - more
    isn't better - you'd think Frederick P. Brooks, Jr. made
    that point eloquently enough 30 years ago. What's needed are
    tools that make the competent people more productive - and
    CASE tools didn't cut it. Whenever these tools come into
    existence, they will require highly skilled and knowledgable
    people to use them (effectively).

    MS has got to start realizing that it is going to take an
    army of sophisticated and competent administrators and
    developers (who aren't in MS's employ) to make distributed
    computing work with .NET (or any other technology for that
    matter) in an environment of diverse business needs. The
    'now anybody can do this' sales-pitch may be popular with
    some managers but does not necessarily attract the right
    people (or business customers) to the technology.

    Unless of course .NET, WinFX isn't about business solutions
    in the long term anyway but just an evolutionary step for
    the software core for the umpteenth successor of the XBOX,
    the universal hyper-connected electronic productivity and
    entertainment media center and wanna-be killer of the
    generic consumer PC.
    There seems to be more money in entertainment than in real
    business anyway.
    Oops, entertainment is THE business - my mistake.

    (-:

    'Any fool can write code that a computer can understand.
    Good programmers write code that humans can understand.'
    Martin Fowler,
    'Refactoring: improving the design of existing code', p.15

    UAError, Feb 3, 2005
  5. Guest Guest

    Re: From MSDN website, you can download hundreds of pre-recored webcasts ..

    The more feature rich and complex the development tool, all the more feature
    rich and complex the requirements.

    Guest, Feb 3, 2005
  6. Re: From MSDN website, you can download hundreds of pre-recored webcasts ..

    >And where does this attitude come from that anyone who
    >barely knows how to navigate MS Word should also be capable
    >of developing software?

    Indeed.

    >The industrial revolution did in fact allow lower skilled
    >workers to produce more goods (after some investment on part
    >of the factory owners). However the manufacturing metaphor
    >does not translate very well to software development - more
    >isn't better - you'd think Frederick P. Brooks, Jr. made
    >that point eloquently enough 30 years ago. What's needed are
    >tools that make the competent people more productive - and
    >CASE tools didn't cut it.

    I wish there were more people like you.

    Process Improvement. There is no reason at all why more companies
    should not adopt the same approach to software development as they do
    for their core business; manufacturing and construction are good
    examples. Yes, there big difference between the final products, but
    just because software cannot be touched (as such), does not mean it
    does not exist!

    I agree about the case tools, I remember using some of the early 4gl's
    and when used badly, they actual had a detrimental effect - no change
    here!

    >Whenever these tools come into
    >existence, they will require highly skilled and knowledgable
    >people to use them (effectively).

    As with any tool.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Feb 4, 2005
  7. Re: From MSDN website, you can download hundreds of pre-recored webcasts ..

    >The more feature rich and complex the development tool, all the more feature
    >rich and complex the requirements.

    sad, but often [needlessly] true.....

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Feb 4, 2005
  8. kDog Guest

    I recommend any video featuring Jenna Jamison. You can
    just sit there on your couch while wacking your pud --
    and forget all about that nasty little exam.

    kDog, Feb 6, 2005