    Any helpful advice would be appreciated, thanks.
    Allen
    , Sep 28, 2007

  2. olfart Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    > Hello, until recently, when I put a cd/dvd into my cd/dvd drives my
    > computer would recognise them and open up.
    > Now, they don't recognise them, either drive remains dormant...?
    > Any helpful advice would be appreciated, thanks.
    > Allen

    Did you change the brand of discs you use???
    Do the drives show up in Device Manager?
    olfart, Sep 28, 2007

  3. Guest

    On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 18:50:44 -0400, "olfart" <>
    wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> Hello, until recently, when I put a cd/dvd into my cd/dvd drives my
    >> computer would recognise them and open up.
    >> Now, they don't recognise them, either drive remains dormant...?
    >> Any helpful advice would be appreciated, thanks.
    >> Allen

    >Did you change the brand of discs you use???

    No.
    >Do the drives show up in Device Manager?

    It says they are working properly, but don't know what you mean by
    'showing up properly'...? As you can see I'm not very auvait with
    this sort of analizing. (Win XP Home) = I went into Control Panel>
    Administrative tools> Computer management> Device manager> then:
    DVD/CD Rom Drives....both drives show as ok?
    Allen
    , Sep 29, 2007
  4. Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 23:34:18 +0100, lid wrote:

    >Hello, until recently, when I put a cd/dvd into my cd/dvd drives my
    >computer would recognise them and open up.
    >Now, they don't recognise them, either drive remains dormant...?
    >Any helpful advice would be appreciated, thanks.

    Open My Computer. Right Click CD Drive. Choose Properties. Select the
    AutoPlay tab and select the option you want.
    Evan Platt, Sep 29, 2007
  5. Guest

    On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 16:13:30 -0700, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >Open My Computer. Right Click CD Drive. Choose Properties. Select the
    >AutoPlay tab and select the option you want.

    Hello Evan, I've done that but nowt happens?
    I put in a disk = cd/dvd wether empty or containing material/songs etc
    The Drive icons used to 'enlarge' then it would ask what I wanted to
    do, but now, nothing happens? I'm off to bed.
    Allen
    , Sep 29, 2007
  6. Fred Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 16:13:30 -0700, Evan Platt
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Open My Computer. Right Click CD Drive. Choose Properties. Select the
    >>AutoPlay tab and select the option you want.

    > Hello Evan, I've done that but nowt happens?
    > I put in a disk = cd/dvd wether empty or containing material/songs etc
    > The Drive icons used to 'enlarge' then it would ask what I wanted to
    > do, but now, nothing happens? I'm off to bed.

    Try the Microsoft Autoplay repair wizard.
    The Microsoft AutoPlay Repair Wizard scans your computer devices to find
    defective AutoPlay settings, and attempts to fix those it finds.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...B6-E8FA-45C4-A171-1B389CFACDAD&displaylang=en
    Fred, Sep 29, 2007
  7. Plato Guest

    lid wrote:

    > Hello, until recently, when I put a cd/dvd into my cd/dvd drives my
    > computer would recognise them and open up.
    > Now, they don't recognise them, either drive remains dormant...?

    Note that the drive _may_ have gone bad, or another drive on the same
    IDE channel may have gone bad.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Oct 7, 2007