    Can anyone recommend a reliable and reasonably priced outfit?

    TIA

    Wyn
    Wyn, Dec 29, 2003

  2. Wyn

    Lennier Guest

    On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 19:03:37 +1300, Wyn wrote:

    > My son, who lives in Wellington (Newtown), wants to buy a CDRW Drive and
    > have it installed.
    >
    > Like me he does not have the skill to fit it himself.

    Quay Computers is a reputable company and will happily sell you a good
    CD-RW.

    You DO have the skills needed. Use your common sense, and follow
    the following instructions...

    Shutdown the computer. Ensure the computer is switched OFF and the power
    cord is physically removed from your computer.

    Open the case, being careful not to touch any
    electronic components.

    Examine the contents of your computer in order to locate where the present
    CD-ROM is located.

    Notice that it has either two or three cables attached - these cables are
    quite obvious as to what they are.

    One has four thick wires and a bulky plug that can only go in one
    particular way. this is the power cable and is connected directly to the
    power supply, and possibly also to another device.

    The second is a broad cable that has many thin wires all stuck together.
    This cable is the DATA cable. Note carefully exactly how it is plugged
    into the present CD-ROM - you will need to put it exactly the same way
    into the new CD-RW. It too can only go in one particular way for it to
    work. Older computers will permit the cable to be inserted both upwards
    and downwards. But only the one way works. Newer cables can only go in the
    one way.

    The third cable, if present, is connected to the sound card. It too has
    only four wires, but is considerably smaller than the power cable.

    Notice that between the second and third cables there is a spot where
    there is an adjustable jumper. You will need to look at this jumper once
    you've taken the old CD-ROM out of the computer case.

    Now you will need to undo the screws that are holding the present CD-ROM
    in the case; and you will need to unplug all the cables connected to the
    CD-ROM. The cables may be rather firmly plugged in. The third cable may
    have a catch holding it in place which will need to be squeezed in order
    to remove that cable.

    Remove the old CD-ROM from the case of the computer.

    Examine the back of both the old CD-ROM and the new CD-RW in order to
    compare the jumper settings.

    Somewhere on the CD-ROM and the CD-RW there will be markings which help to
    identify what those jumpers are set to:

    SL = "slave"
    MA = "master"
    CS = "cable select"

    These are to do with how the CD-ROM is connected to the DATA cable.

    Ensure that the jumper on the new CD-RW is set exactly the same as the
    jumper on the old CD-ROM - either to "SL" or to "MA" or to "CS". But the
    new needs to be set exactly the same as the old.

    Carefully ease the new CD-RW into the case. Attach the cables in exactly
    the same way they were attached to the old CD-ROM. Screw the CD-RW into
    the case, ensuring that the front of the CD-RW lines up with the front
    pannel of the computer case.

    Replace and re-screw the cover of the case.

    Plug power cable back in, and switch computer back on.

    Install the software that came with the CD-RW. If you are using any
    version of Micro$oft Windows newer than Windows 98/ME you will need to log
    on as the Administrator in order to install the software.

    Done!

    Lennier
    Lennier, Dec 29, 2003

  3. Wyn

    DUser Guest

    On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 19:03:37 +1300, Wyn wrote:

    > My son, who lives in Wellington (Newtown), wants to buy a CDRW Drive and
    > have it installed.
    >
    > Like me he does not have the skill to fit it himself.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a reliable and reasonably priced outfit?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Wyn

    Most convenient to Newtown would be

    Atech Computers
    276-282 Wakefield St.
    WELLINGTON

    Inquiry: 04-8016188
    Support: 04-8016192
    Fax: 04-8016988

    E-mail:

    http://www.atech.co.nz/

    In Wakefield St where the PC company premises used to be, opposite the
    Chaffers Supermarket.
    DUser, Dec 29, 2003
  4. Wyn

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Lennier wrote:
> [...]

    > CS = "cable select"
    >
    > These are to do with how the CD-ROM is connected to the DATA cable.
    >
    > Ensure that the jumper on the new CD-RW is set exactly the same as the
    > jumper on the old CD-ROM - either to "SL" or to "MA" or to "CS". But
    > the new needs to be set exactly the same as the old.
    >

    > Carefully ease the new CD-RW into the case. Attach the cables in
    > exactly the same way they were attached to the old CD-ROM. Screw the
    > CD-RW into the case, ensuring that the front of the CD-RW lines up
    > with the front pannel of the computer case.
    >
    > Replace and re-screw the cover of the case.
    >
    > Plug power cable back in, and switch computer back on.
    >

    > Install the software that came with the CD-RW. If you are using any
    > version of Micro$oft Windows newer than Windows 98/ME you will need
    > to log on as the Administrator in order to install the software.

    Excellent instructions. What if he wants to keep his existing CD-ROM *and*
    have the CD-RW? :)
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Dec 29, 2003
  5. Wyn

    Lennier Guest

    On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 21:34:28 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Excellent instructions.

    Thank you...

    > What if he wants to keep his existing CD-ROM *and*
    > have the CD-RW? :)

    Then the jumper settings need to be set differently depending on how the
    new CD-RW is connected to the data cable, will need a spare power cable to
    connect the CD-RW, and a spare slot in which to place the new CD-RW.

    The DATA cable has three plugs on it - one at each end of the cable and
    one in the middle.

    The plug in the middle is the "slave" and the plug at the end is the
    "master".

    The Jumper on the new CD-RW needs to be set depending on which plug on
    the data cable the CD-RW is being connected to.

    If you're plugging the DATA cable into the CD-RW using the middle plug
    then the jumper needs to be set to "slave".

    Otherwise set it to master.

    ENSURE that, if there is more than one device attached to a DATA cable
    then *only* the device attached to the end of the DATA cable is set to
    Master and the other is set to Slave.

    Lennier
    Lennier, Dec 29, 2003
  6. Wyn

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Lennier wrote:
    > On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 21:34:28 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> Excellent instructions.

    > Thank you...
    >

    >> What if he wants to keep his existing CD-ROM *and*
    >> have the CD-RW? :)

    > Then the jumper settings need to be set differently depending on how
    > the new CD-RW is connected to the data cable, will need a spare power
    > cable to connect the CD-RW, and a spare slot in which to place the
    > new CD-RW.
    >
    > The DATA cable has three plugs on it - one at each end of the cable
    > and one in the middle.
    >
    > The plug in the middle is the "slave" and the plug at the end is the
    > "master".
    >
    > The Jumper on the new CD-RW needs to be set depending on which plug on
    > the data cable the CD-RW is being connected to.
    >
    > If you're plugging the DATA cable into the CD-RW using the middle plug
    > then the jumper needs to be set to "slave".
    >
    > Otherwise set it to master.
    >
    > ENSURE that, if there is more than one device attached to a DATA cable
    > then *only* the device attached to the end of the DATA cable is set to
    > Master and the other is set to Slave.

    Good little "How to" there Lennier.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Dec 29, 2003
  7. Wyn

    Lennier Guest

    In article <81THb.43562$>, ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Good little "How to" there Lennier.

    Thanks

    Lennier
    Lennier, Dec 29, 2003
  8. Wyn

    Gurble Guest

    On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 22:15:34 +1300, Lennier
    <> wrote:

    >ENSURE that, if there is more than one device attached to a DATA cable
    >then *only* the device attached to the end of the DATA cable is set to
    >Master and the other is set to Slave.

    Hmm, I've never had any problems setting them the other way around...

    Why do you say the end one has to be master?

    Otherwise, excellent instructions, by the way.
    Gurble, Dec 29, 2003
  9. On 30 Dec 2003, Gurble wrote

    > On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 22:15:34 +1300, Lennier
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>ENSURE that, if there is more than one device attached to a DATA cable
    >>then *only* the device attached to the end of the DATA cable is set to
    >>Master and the other is set to Slave.

    > Hmm, I've never had any problems setting them the other way around...
    >
    > Why do you say the end one has to be master?

    This is only an issue if you are using the CS jumpering option on both
    drives to determine which is master and which is slave.

    > Otherwise, excellent instructions, by the way.

    Agreed.

    --
    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    - Bureaucracy: That place always in need of a laxative (or acting as
    one).
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Dec 29, 2003
  10. Wyn

    Wyn Guest

    Lennier wrote:
    > On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 19:03:37 +1300, Wyn wrote:
    >
    >> My son, who lives in Wellington (Newtown), wants to buy a CDRW Drive
    >> and have it installed.
    >>
    >> Like me he does not have the skill to fit it himself.

    > Quay Computers is a reputable company and will happily sell you a good
    > CD-RW.
    >
    > You DO have the skills needed. Use your common sense, and follow
    > the following instructions...

    Hey, thanks for that Lennier.You went to a whole lot of trouble, and I
    appreciate that.

    You have more confidence in my ability than I do. I'm one of those types
    who always manages to drop a screw or a nut deep inside the bowels of
    any device. Even checking tyre pressures can be a challenge. If I don't
    manage to drop a dust cap inside a hub cap it's a real achievement.

    I do have other skills, though :)

    I'll keep your instructions for further reference. I just hope I will
    not need them

    Wyn
    Wyn, Dec 29, 2003
  11. Wyn

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Wyn" <> wrote in message
    > Lennier wrote:
    > > On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 19:03:37 +1300, Wyn wrote:
    > >
    > >> My son, who lives in Wellington (Newtown), wants to buy a CDRW Drive
    > >> and have it installed.
    > >>
    > >> Like me he does not have the skill to fit it himself.

    > > Quay Computers is a reputable company and will happily sell you a good
    > > CD-RW.
    > >
    > > You DO have the skills needed. Use your common sense, and follow
    > > the following instructions...

    > Hey, thanks for that Lennier.You went to a whole lot of trouble, and I
    > appreciate that.
    >
    > You have more confidence in my ability than I do. I'm one of those types
    > who always manages to drop a screw or a nut deep inside the bowels of
    > any device. Even checking tyre pressures can be a challenge. If I don't
    > manage to drop a dust cap inside a hub cap it's a real achievement.
    >
    > I do have other skills, though :)
    >
    > I'll keep your instructions for further reference. I just hope I will
    > not need them
    >
    > Wyn

    Remember that when the shop installs it and there's any problems with it
    afterwards, then there's no nasty little excuses for it not to be working
    right.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Dec 29, 2003
  12. Wyn wrote:
    > Lennier wrote:
    >> On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 19:03:37 +1300, Wyn wrote:
    >>
    >>> My son, who lives in Wellington (Newtown), wants to buy a CDRW Drive
    >>> and have it installed.
    >>>
    >>> Like me he does not have the skill to fit it himself.

    >> Quay Computers is a reputable company and will happily sell you a
    >> good CD-RW.
    >>
    >> You DO have the skills needed. Use your common sense, and follow
    >> the following instructions...

    > Hey, thanks for that Lennier.You went to a whole lot of trouble, and I
    > appreciate that.
    >
    > You have more confidence in my ability than I do. I'm one of those
    > types who always manages to drop a screw or a nut deep inside the
    > bowels of any device. Even checking tyre pressures can be a
    > challenge. If I don't manage to drop a dust cap inside a hub cap it's
    > a real achievement.
    >
    > I do have other skills, though :)
    >
    > I'll keep your instructions for further reference. I just hope I will
    > not need them

    Wyn,

    While Lennier has given you very good instructions, the work is very
    'mechanical' (using a screwdriver and plugging/unplugging cables). Your
    response indicates a problem in this area so I would urge caution.

    There are a number of points in Lennier's instructions where things can go
    wrong - for example having installed the hardware and powered up the machine
    you may not be able to use the new drive because your OS cant find it. This
    should not happen if your OS is Windows and it is ME or 2000 or later. If
    you get someone to install the device for you then you have an end result
    that the device is fully working and there can be no questions if warrantee
    issues arise later.

    IMHO you should consider carefully whether to do the installation yourself.
    To do so you need to be able to handle unexpected results along the way
    (such as your OS not seeing the device when you power up as above) and be
    willing and able to spend the time retracing what you might have done wrong
    and persisting with trying other options - re-reading the instructions or
    even hitting google up for more info.

    If you opt for getting the retailer to install the device then often they
    will do a 'package' covering purchase and installation which is cheaper than
    buying the device then coming back to them for help later if you get stuck
    on installation issues.

    Good Luck!

    --
    Bryan Souster - reply to bas01 at clear dot net dot nz
    For acronyms (IIRC, TIA etc) visit www.acronymfinder.com for the meanings.
    Bryan Souster, Dec 29, 2003
  13. Wyn

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    > On 30 Dec 2003, Gurble wrote
    >
    >> On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 22:15:34 +1300, Lennier
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> ENSURE that, if there is more than one device attached to a DATA
    >>> cable then *only* the device attached to the end of the DATA cable
    >>> is set to Master and the other is set to Slave.

    >> Hmm, I've never had any problems setting them the other way around...
    >>
    >> Why do you say the end one has to be master?

    > This is only an issue if you are using the CS jumpering option on both
    > drives to determine which is master and which is slave.

    That's my understanding too. I've put them the other way before I knew
    better. However, all instructions I see these days say to put the master on
    the end and the slave in the middle, regardless of 'CS'. In fact they don't
    mention using CS, they specifically say jumper to 'master' and 'slave'. So
    now I always put the master on the end. Who am I to argue with motherboard
    manufacturers instuctions?
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Dec 29, 2003
  14. Wyn

    Lennier Guest

    On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 02:18:15 +1300, Gurble wrote:

    > Otherwise, excellent instructions, by the way.

    D'ya think he'll use them?

    Lennier
    Lennier, Dec 29, 2003
  15. Wyn

    Lennier Guest

    On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 09:23:13 +1300, E. Scrooge wrote:

    > Remember that when the shop installs it and there's any problems with it
    > afterwards, then there's no nasty little excuses for it not to be working
    > right.

    The likelihood of anything going wrong when putting in a CD-RW is
    minuscule.

    Easy to do, quite straight forward, and even a child - or a *very* senior
    citizen - can do it.

    The instructions are quite clear and straight forward, point out all what
    is needed to know, and even where to find the bits.

    Lennier
    Lennier, Dec 29, 2003
  16. Wyn

    Lennier Guest

    On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 08:48:24 +1300, Wyn wrote:

    > You have more confidence in my ability than I do.

    So - prove my confidence is not misplaced...

    Lennier
    Lennier, Dec 29, 2003
  17. Wyn

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Lennier" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 09:23:13 +1300, E. Scrooge wrote:
    >
    > > Remember that when the shop installs it and there's any problems with it
    > > afterwards, then there's no nasty little excuses for it not to be

    working
    > > right.

    > The likelihood of anything going wrong when putting in a CD-RW is
    > minuscule.
    >
    > Easy to do, quite straight forward, and even a child - or a *very* senior
    > citizen - can do it.
    >
    > The instructions are quite clear and straight forward, point out all what
    > is needed to know, and even where to find the bits.
    >
    > Lennier

    Should there be fault mainly with unit itself, you then have to bugger
    around chnging it. The shop should give a good deal to fit if not even do
    it for nothing. If there's a problem they can sort it all out at the same
    time.

    Of course the advantage of doing things yourself is that you know the screws
    aren't stripped and that the connections are good and firm, not just quickly
    slapped in there.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Dec 30, 2003
  18. On 30 Dec 2003, ~misfit~ wrote

    >>> Why do you say the end one has to be master?

    >> This is only an issue if you are using the CS jumpering option on
    >> both drives to determine which is master and which is slave.

    > That's my understanding too. I've put them the other way before I knew
    > better.

    Haven't we all, mate, haven't we all? ... and spent the next x hours
    trying to figure out why it puked in our laps. 8-(( Then kicked our own
    stupid asses all around the parade ground when the penny dropped.

    > However, all instructions I see these days say to put the
    > master on the end and the slave in the middle, regardless of 'CS'. In
    > fact they don't mention using CS, they specifically say jumper to
    > 'master' and 'slave'. So now I always put the master on the end. Who
    > am I to argue with motherboard manufacturers instuctions?

    Likewise and indeed so ... but it's my feeling that the instructions, in
    saying that, rather reflect convention than operational necessity. That
    said, I think it's still a good habit to maintain - at least it tries to
    ensure a degree of consistency in a field where there ain't a lot of it
    about.

    Now I stop to think about it [I have these lucid spells sometimes! :cool:]
    doesn't using the CS setting require a cable with a twist in it between
    master and slave?

    --
    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    - I was not CREATING a disturbance, I was improving one already there.
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Dec 30, 2003
  19. Wyn

    pete Guest

    "Nicolaas Hawkins" <> wrote in message
    > On 30 Dec 2003, ~misfit~ wrote

    > >> This is only an issue if you are using the CS jumpering option on
    > >> both drives to determine which is master and which is slave.

    > > That's my understanding too. I've put them the other way before I knew
    > > better.

    > Haven't we all, mate, haven't we all? ... and spent the next x hours
    > trying to figure out why it puked in our laps. 8-(( Then kicked our own
    > stupid asses all around the parade ground when the penny dropped.
    >

    > > However, all instructions I see these days say to put the
    > > master on the end and the slave in the middle, regardless of 'CS'. In
    > > fact they don't mention using CS, they specifically say jumper to
    > > 'master' and 'slave'. So now I always put the master on the end. Who
    > > am I to argue with motherboard manufacturers instuctions?
    > >

    > Likewise and indeed so ... but it's my feeling that the instructions, in
    > saying that, rather reflect convention than operational necessity. That
    > said, I think it's still a good habit to maintain - at least it tries to
    > ensure a degree of consistency in a field where there ain't a lot of it
    > about.
    >
    > Now I stop to think about it [I have these lucid spells sometimes! :cool:]
    > doesn't using the CS setting require a cable with a twist in it between
    > master and slave?

    No, thats more like the real old style hard drive cables that had two
    connectors per drive,
    (ST506?) or the diskette cables that catered for two drives. --
    pete, Dec 30, 2003
  20. Wyn

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    > On 30 Dec 2003, ~misfit~ wrote
    >> However, all instructions I see these days say to put the
    >> master on the end and the slave in the middle, regardless of 'CS'. In
    >> fact they don't mention using CS, they specifically say jumper to
    >> 'master' and 'slave'. So now I always put the master on the end. Who
    >> am I to argue with motherboard manufacturers instuctions?
    >>

    > Likewise and indeed so ... but it's my feeling that the instructions,
    > in saying that, rather reflect convention than operational necessity.
    > That said, I think it's still a good habit to maintain - at least it
    > tries to ensure a degree of consistency in a field where there ain't
    > a lot of it about.
    >
    > Now I stop to think about it [I have these lucid spells sometimes!
    > :cool:] doesn't using the CS setting require a cable with a twist in it
    > between master and slave?

    No. My understanding is that there is a conductor that is present on one of
    the connectors but not on the other that dictates which is master and which
    is slave if CS is selected on both drives. If the drives are jumpered as
    master and slave this is ignored and isn't required for data transfer.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Dec 30, 2003