CDRW drive dissapears

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Steven H, Sep 16, 2003.

  1. Steven H

    Steven H Guest

    for lack of a better way to put it that is.

    whats happenning is that my CDRW drive (ASUS CRW-4012A) is being
    detected by the BIOS and by Windows but not always showing up or shows
    up at boot but simply decides remove itself.

    upon checking out my event log i find

    The device 'ASUS CRW-4012A' (IDE\CdRomASUS_CRW-
    4012A__________________________1.0_____\5&2dfcc752&0&0.0.0) disappeared
    from the system without first being prepared for removal.

    this is a brand spanking new CDRW (techinically it is a replacement for
    my old one - extended warrantys are good things).

    i was having similar problems with my old one (excpt for the fact that
    my old drive simply wouldnt read or write) - im hoping like hell its
    just my windows install (although i would rather not have to reinstall).

    iam running a Soltek 75drv if it makes any diffrence

    has any body had similar problems -

    Steven H
    Steven H, Sep 16, 2003

  2. Steven H

    Joe Citizen Guest

    Heard of similar problems with other brands, solution was to update the
    firmware.
    Check the manufacturers website for an update.

    Joe.

    Joe Citizen, Sep 16, 2003

  3. Steven H

    Steven H Guest

    In article <dGy9b.149222$>,
    says...
    > Heard of similar problems with other brands, solution was to update the
    > firmware.
    > Check the manufacturers website for an update.

    well i just grabed the latest firmware and installed it - i will keep an
    eye out on the drive and see what happens.

    i also noticed that there is a firmware upgrade for my bios - i may have
    to resort to installing that

    Steven H
    Steven H, Sep 16, 2003
  4. Steven H

    Andrew Guest

    You change your IDE cables, They may be dodgy

    Andrew, Sep 17, 2003