    I had a DX266 back in 92/93 with Windows 3.1 and a CDROM drive was with
    the computer - if I order one for him, how easy will it be to install?

    Thanks!

    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Dec 10, 2004

  2. Weyoun the Dancing Borg

    john Guest

    Weyoun the Dancing Borg <> wrote in message
    > Hi!
    >
    > My grandfather has a SX25 pc with windows 3.1. There is no chance of
    > upgrading this to a new computer, but he would likea CDROM drive. I can
    > install it for him no problems, but what is the possibility of getting a
    > CDROM drive for it?

    There shouldn`t be any problem with it using the newest of IDE cdrom drives
    that are available at the moment.

    > I had a DX266 back in 92/93 with Windows 3.1 and a CDROM drive was with
    > the computer - if I order one for him, how easy will it be to install?
    >
    > Thanks!

    And it should be fairly easy to mount/install.
    Either as a slave to the primary/master HD, or as master on the secondary
    ide channel (jumpered accordingly)

    You`ll then only need a dos-ide-driver, and mscdex.exe (which should already
    be on your grandads` C:\Dos directory); and then edit 2 boot-up files
    (autoexec.bat &config.sys) examples to follow:

    <autoexec.bat>
    C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD000
    <config.sys>
    DEVICE=C:\DOS\CDROM.SYS /D:MSCD000
    LASTDRIVE=Z

    john, Dec 10, 2004

  3. Weyoun the Dancing Borg

    Trent© Guest

    On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 08:32:36 +0000, Weyoun the Dancing Borg
    <> wrote:

    >Hi!
    >
    >My grandfather has a SX25 pc with windows 3.1. There is no chance of
    >upgrading this to a new computer, but he would likea CDROM drive. I can
    >install it for him no problems, but what is the possibility of getting a
    >CDROM drive for it?

    Any drive should work. That is...you'll have as much trouble with ANY
    cdrom you put in! lol I'd suggest puttin' in a plain cdrom...no
    burner.

    First off, I doubt if the BIOS will recognize it...which may only be a
    minor problem.

    >I had a DX266 back in 92/93 with Windows 3.1 and a CDROM drive was with
    >the computer - if I order one for him, how easy will it be to install?

    Probably not really easy...but not impossible either. Do you have any
    more specs on the machine? Are the controllers built into the
    mainboard? Are there 2?

    I think drivers might be the biggest problem...and pointing the
    machine to the proper port.

    Give it a shot...then let us know what problems you have. We'll be
    glad to help.

    Have a nice one...

    Trent©

    Trent©, Dec 10, 2004
  4. Weyoun the Dancing Borg wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > My grandfather has a SX25 pc with windows 3.1. There is no chance of
    > upgrading this to a new computer, but he would likea CDROM drive. I can
    > install it for him no problems, but what is the possibility of getting a
    > CDROM drive for it?
    >
    > I had a DX266 back in 92/93 with Windows 3.1 and a CDROM drive was with
    > the computer - if I order one for him, how easy will it be to install?
    >
    > Thanks!

    thanks guys - the probelm is, he's 160 miles away and i can only get to
    him once, so trouble shooting is a no no :)

    I decided to buy him a computer instead. something more up to date than
    a 1991 SX :)

    --

    There is nothing wrong with your news reader.
    Do not attempt to adjust your settings.

    Please stand by.

    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Dec 10, 2004