    with a full format and installation.

    Thank you very much!

    Jim McCants
    Jim McCants, Feb 27, 2010

  2. Jim McCants

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Jim.

    Have you tried the System File Checker? sfc /scannow

    See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833
    How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted
    system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Feb 27, 2010

  3. Jim McCants

    Tom Guest

    > Yesterday Win7 decided to no longer show my 2 LiteOn DVDRW drives. I've
    > tried to re-install/repair the driver (6.1.7600.16385) and everytime I get
    > the same response = my current driver is good. BUT, then when I check with
    > Device Manager, it shows that the drives are not working. Can anyone help
    > me get a new cdrom.sys installed into the system32/drivers folder?
    >
    > Booting up with the Win7 DVD will work. But I can't find the cdrom.sys on
    > the disk. No other repair options are there to get this fixed.
    >
    > Help would certainly be appreciated. I don't want to have to start all
    > over with a full format and installation.
    >
    > Thank you very much!
    >
    > Jim McCants

    Did you per chance install any of the software that came with the drives as
    well? I have seen where it can hose any drivers that are needed fore use
    from Windows? If so, remove them all in their entirety, then uninstall all
    drivers while in the device manager by right clicking on the devices and
    then delete the drive(s) from the device manager. Reboot, then try and
    update the device manager by having it search for the best driver after
    those device(s) reappear after the reboot. If that doesn't work, see if
    Lite-on's website has the driver for the operating system for your
    particular model updated.

    If Lite-on's solution is a no-go, then try using the sfc /scannow in the
    start/run (or in a command prompt), then see what happens. You may also want
    to check and see if the drive(s) have a well seated connection as well, by
    reseating them; that would be the last resort, then try again to update the
    drivers again.
    Tom, Feb 27, 2010