cdrom opens, and immediately closes

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by abc123, Apr 11, 2005.

  1. abc123

    abc123 Guest

    This happen whether I am running the OS or not. For example, if press
    <DEL> during bootup, and I go into the bios settings, and press the
    cdrom's open button, the cdrom will open and immediately close. If I
    let the maching boot into windows-98, right-click on the cdrom, and
    chose eject, the cdrom will open and immediately close.

    If I move very fast, I can put a cd into the tray. In that case, the
    cdrom will read the cd just fine.

    The cdrom is on it's own ribbon cable. I have tried setting the cdrom
    to master, then cable-select, then slave, the cdrom does the same thing
    on any setting.

    I have tried putting a different cdrom in the place of the troublesome
    cdrom, and the different cdrom works fine.

    Is it just a bad cdrom?

    BTW: I was replacing a bad power-supply for a friend. I think the cdrom
    was working before the power-supply took a dump.

    Any ideas?
    abc123, Apr 11, 2005

  2. On 10 Apr 2005 16:13:11 -0700, "abc123" <>
    wrote:

    >This happen whether I am running the OS or not. For example, if press
    ><DEL> during bootup, and I go into the bios settings, and press the
    >cdrom's open button, the cdrom will open and immediately close. If I
    >let the maching boot into windows-98, right-click on the cdrom, and
    >chose eject, the cdrom will open and immediately close.
    >
    >If I move very fast, I can put a cd into the tray. In that case, the
    >cdrom will read the cd just fine.
    >
    >The cdrom is on it's own ribbon cable. I have tried setting the cdrom
    >to master, then cable-select, then slave, the cdrom does the same thing
    >on any setting.
    >
    >I have tried putting a different cdrom in the place of the troublesome
    >cdrom, and the different cdrom works fine.
    >
    >Is it just a bad cdrom?
    >
    >BTW: I was replacing a bad power-supply for a friend. I think the cdrom
    >was working before the power-supply took a dump.
    >
    >Any ideas?

    There's a guy in the sci.electronics.repair group with a similar
    problem to yours, and this is the one reply that he has received (see
    below). The thread is entitled "cd-rom reader repair hint : door
    doesn't open"

    Well you should look at the FAQ for CD repair at
    http://www.repairfaq.org

    Realize that there are two switches inside the drive. One tells the
    electronics that the door is open, the other that it is closed.
    If one of those switches has gone bad, or are somehow not be activated
    when they are supposed to, the electronics won't know the state of
    the door. Then it can't decide whether it should be operating the
    motor to open the door, or operate the motor to close the door, or
    just sit there.

    Michael
    Tom MacIntyre, Apr 11, 2005

  3. abc123

    abc123 Guest

    To me, that means replace the cdrom. They only cost about $25.

    abc123, Apr 11, 2005
  4. "abc123" <> wrote in message
    > To me, that means replace the cdrom. They only cost about $25.

    16X DVD +/- dual-layer burners are only $50...might use it as an excuse to
    upgrade.
    Patrick Michael, Apr 12, 2005
  5. On 11 Apr 2005 15:40:57 -0700, "abc123" <>
    wrote:

    >To me, that means replace the cdrom. They only cost about $25.

    Right, unless you like to tinker with broken stuff. :)

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Apr 12, 2005
  6. abc123

    j00stj3 Guest

    I would say the cd-rom drive is faulty, maybe just a loose screw,
    or maybe some electrical part got fried when the psu died (some kind of
    peak?)

    Anyway, I'd toss that thing in a dark corner and trie another one!.

    Greetz,

    Joost

    j00stj3, Apr 12, 2005
  7. On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 19:05:52 GMT, Tom MacIntyre
    <> wrote:

    >On 11 Apr 2005 15:40:57 -0700, "abc123" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>To me, that means replace the cdrom. They only cost about $25.

    >Right, unless you like to tinker with broken stuff. :)
    >
    >Tom

    The guy in the other group pulled a gear and pulley and then put the
    originals back. The unit is now working.

    Tom
    Tom MacIntyre, Apr 12, 2005
  8. abc123

    AG Guest

    "j00stj3" <> wrote in message
    > I would say the cd-rom drive is faulty, maybe just a loose screw,
    > or maybe some electrical part got fried when the psu died (some kind of
    > peak?)
    >
    > Anyway, I'd toss that thing in a dark corner and trie another one!.
    >
    > Greetz,

    I used to have one like that that I kept in a server. We didn't need the
    drive much so it didn't matter.

    AG
    AG, Apr 12, 2005
  9. abc123

    Chris Evans Guest

    And some damn good Sonys and Lite-On DVD +/- dual-layer burners have dropped
    under $100 with the Nero suite included. Why stop at 16X?

    Chris
    A+, Net+

    Chris Evans, Apr 13, 2005
  10. abc123

    capoeira360 Guest

    Hi,
    (sorry for stealing the thread but I didn't know if it would be right
    to start a new one)

    I've read over the thread and I wanted to see if I could get help for
    a similar problem. I have been trying to fix a CD-RW drive that will
    not stop opening and closing. It does it every few seconds without a
    disk in, and then slows down a little when a disk is incserted, but
    it will not stop long enough to read the disk.

    I realize that it is probably a hardware malfunction, so I was
    wondering if anyone knows any way to disable, or turn off the drive
    until I can get a replacement.

    Thanks so much for your help
    capoeira360, Apr 26, 2005
  11. abc123

    AG Guest

    "capoeira360" <-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > (sorry for stealing the thread but I didn't know if it would be right
    > to start a new one)
    >
    > I've read over the thread and I wanted to see if I could get help for
    > a similar problem. I have been trying to fix a CD-RW drive that will
    > not stop opening and closing. It does it every few seconds without a
    > disk in, and then slows down a little when a disk is incserted, but
    > it will not stop long enough to read the disk.
    >
    > I realize that it is probably a hardware malfunction, so I was
    > wondering if anyone knows any way to disable, or turn off the drive
    > until I can get a replacement.
    >
    > Thanks so much for your help

    Just unplug the power to the drive. Open the case and remove the power
    plug. It won't hurt anything but you won't have a CDROM but since it
    doesn't work any way you haven't lost anything.

    AG
    AG, Apr 26, 2005
  12. abc123

    capoeira360 Guest

    Hi again folks,

    Thanks so much for the suggestions. I opened the computer up and
    unplugged the 4 pin power connector for the CD-RW drive. This seems
    to have disabled both my DVD-Rom and CD-RW drives. When I powered up,
    it said it could not locate the primary and secondary drives.
    Afterwards, neither drive showed on the device manager.

    Does anyone know a way I can cut power from just the CD-RW drive,
    while leaving the DVD Rom drive fully functioning? And has anyone
    ever heard of a CD drive just opening and closing, non-stop, anytime
    the computer is powered?

    Thanks again :)
    capoeira360, Apr 28, 2005
  13. abc123

    Breedo Guest

    I take it your CD-RW and DVD were attached on the same IDE cable with the
    CD-RW connected as the primary and DVD the slave. Just unplug the IDE cable
    from the CD-RW and plug that connector into the DVD. The end connector is
    for the primary drive and the middle connector is for the slave. Also check
    if there are any jumpers on the drive for primary/slave settings.

    Good luck!
    -Breedo_

    Breedo, Apr 29, 2005