    correct it. I checked in a Google search but I get a lot about SCSI
    compatible. Thanks.

    Martin
    Martin Knight, Jan 1, 2004

  2. Martin Knight

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Martin Knight said:

    > I just installed a new CD Writer I got for Christmas. I slaved it off the
    > mastered CDROM and not I get a message on boot up that says the CDROM is not
    > ATAPI compatible.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me exactly what that means and what do I have to do to
    > correct it. I checked in a Google search but I get a lot about SCSI
    > compatible. Thanks.
    >
    > Martin

    Maybe you could give make and model of the drive, and what software came with
    (and what you installed)
    Brian H¹©, Jan 1, 2004

  3. Martin Knight wrote:

    > I just installed a new CD Writer I got for Christmas. I slaved it off the
    > mastered CDROM and not I get a message on boot up that says the CDROM is not
    > ATAPI compatible.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me exactly what that means and what do I have to do to
    > correct it. I checked in a Google search but I get a lot about SCSI
    > compatible. Thanks.

    ok, first, as painfull as it is, RTFM - make sure this puppy ISN'T SCSI.
    (If it *is*, you're in a heap of trouble already.) Something tells me
    the product you have is *old* - IDE and not ATAPI as the BIOS says....

    I forget the particulars, but loosly translated the original connection
    (commands from the IDE controller) was called IDE... but "true"
    standardization didn't really take place until ATAPI controll sets took
    over.

    Likely you'll need to tell the BIOS to ignore that device, and let
    Windows detect it / install drivers for it on its own.

    Good luck, I'm pullin' for ya!

    BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
    (BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)
    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Jan 1, 2004
  4. Martin Knight

    RDS Guest

    Try setting the CDRW as a Master and the other CD as Slave.

    Roger

    RDS, Jan 1, 2004
  5. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

    I tried switching the ribbon cable ends, reversed slave and master, changed
    BIOS and its not a SCSI drive. So I called my friend who helped me buy the
    computer last year and he'll be over next week to help figure it out. Thanks
    again for replying to me.

    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin Knight, Jan 4, 2004