    copy a cd is the only reason it is hooked back up. Is there a way to
    just disable the cdrom without opening the case, or what else can I
    look for to see what is causing this.

    Terry Lange, Oct 13, 2003

  2. Terry Lange

    Harrison Guest

    Does it happen to do it when you open certain web pages?
    http://www.omega.reallybites.com/boo/boo.html

    Harrison, Oct 13, 2003

  3. Terry Lange

    Terry Lange Guest

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 11:41:31 -0400, Harrison
    <> wrote:

    >Does it happen to do it when you open certain web pages?
    >http://www.omega.reallybites.com/boo/boo.html

    Not that I know of. I just woke up, and walked thru the house and
    heard it. I came through and yahoo was still open from last night. No
    other pages were open.

    Terry Lange, Oct 13, 2003
  4. Terry Lange

    Harrison Guest

    If you're sure it's not a trojan or prank, then test the sensitivity
    of the eject button on the drive. It's possibly so close that it
    sometimes connects.

    Harrison, Oct 13, 2003
  5. Terry Lange

    yugsdrawkcab Guest

    Harrison wrote:
    > Does it happen to do it when you open certain web pages?
    > http://www.omega.reallybites.com/boo/boo.html

    Yet more proof to stay away from Internet Explorer. The script doesn't
    work with Netscape. :)

    yugsdrawkcab, Oct 13, 2003
  6. On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 11:35:08 -0400, Terry Lange <>
    stated:

    > Before I installed XP it also did it on Win98. I never use the cdrom
    > since I have installed my cd burner about 3 years ago. I just can't
    > figure out where to look and what to look for to stop this. About 8
    > months ago I just opened the case and unplugged the thing. I had to
    > copy a cd is the only reason it is hooked back up. Is there a way to
    > just disable the cdrom without opening the case, or what else can I
    > look for to see what is causing this.

    Normal suspects:

    The CD drawer has intereference on front causing it to not fully close.

    A bad (or hypersensitive) 'eject' button on front of drive.

    A CD eject button on the keyboard that's bad or has cat sleeping on it
    occasionally.

    Confused packet driver software.

    Shared drive on network.

    Disable the drive from Windows Device Mangler.

    Win9x: Right Click - My Computer - Properties - Device Manager - CDROM -
    Properties - Disable.

    WinXP: Start - Right Click My Computer - Properties - Hardware - Device
    Manager - CDROM - Properties - Disable.

    HTH

    Mark
    --
    Grammar is the difference between saying what you mean
    and saying what I think you mean.

    Dracomark_NOT_REAL_ADDRESS@Yahoo_YIKES.com, Oct 13, 2003
  7. yugsdrawkcab wrote:

    > Harrison wrote:
    >
    >> Does it happen to do it when you open certain web pages?
    >> http://www.omega.reallybites.com/boo/boo.html
    >>

    > Yet more proof to stay away from Internet Explorer. The script doesn't
    > work with Netscape. :)

    --Or mozilla... I know, I know.. Same-Same.

    BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
    (BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)

    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Oct 13, 2003
  8. Terry Lange

    Harrison Guest

    Or Konquerer :)

    Harrison, Oct 13, 2003