    Server machines (say Server 2003).

    Thanks in advance
    Srihari
    Sri, Jun 10, 2005

  2. In article <>,
    Sri <> wrote:
    : Just wanted to find out if Cisco Discovery protocol can be used to
    :talk to and identify, detect status up/down from Microsoft Windows
    :Server machines (say Server 2003).

    Not without installing some software on the Windows server. But if
    you have a handy cannon ready to swat that fly, then see

    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/cucxsw/prodlit/icmsw_ov.htm
    --
    Any sufficiently old bug becomes a feature.
    Walter Roberson, Jun 10, 2005

  3. Sri

    Peter Guest

    Hi Srihari,

    > Just wanted to find out if Cisco Discovery protocol can be used to
    > talk to and identify, detect status up/down from Microsoft Windows
    > Server machines (say Server 2003).

    The CDP protocol is proprietary to Cisco, so it is not normal for any
    3rd party to have support for it unless it is specifically written in.
    HOWEVER... about a month ago I noticed that one of our new Windows
    Servers was appearing in a 3750 switch "sh cdp nei" command, so
    perhaps MS are now writing something in there for it.

    Cheers.................pk.

    ---
    Peter from Auckland.
    Peter, Jun 11, 2005
  4. Sri

    Guest Guest

    Yes, it can be use if for example you are running a CCM on it, then
    ciscoworks will identify it status.

    --
    2nd Law of Thermodynamics: Chaos will Reign.

    ///////////////////
    --Anthrax--
    //////////////////

    http://www.usenet.com
    Guest, Jun 11, 2005
  5. There is a LINUX CDP stack available at
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/lcdpd. I'm fairly certain I've seen a
    3rd party Win32 stack also, but haven't been able to easily track it
    down.

    Russell JF Kirk, Jun 11, 2005
  6. This isn't the one I was thinking of, but looks like it will do the job
    http://www.tallsoft.com/CDPMonitor.htm. The one I've seen previously was
    just a CDP stack, without the monitoring. I also think it was
    distributed under the GPL. Try Googling perhaps.

    "Russell JF Kirk" <> wrote in
    message news::

    Russell JF Kirk, Jun 11, 2005
  7. Alan Strassberg, Jun 11, 2005
  8. Sri

    Scooby Guest

    "Alan Strassberg" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > Russell JF Kirk <> wrote:
    > >There is a LINUX CDP stack available at
    > >http://sourceforge.net/projects/lcdpd. I'm fairly certain I've seen a
    > >3rd party Win32 stack also, but haven't been able to easily track it
    > >down.

    > Here's a Win one (commercial USD$15)
    >
    > http://www.tallsoft.com/CDPMonitor.htm
    >
    > alan

    McAfee Virusscan sez that this file has a backdoor virus. Do not download.
    Scooby, Jun 12, 2005
  9. Nasty - thanks for the post - I'll see if I can track down the one I've
    come across before and will come back to the group.

    Russell JF Kirk, Jun 12, 2005