CDMA wireless phone/modem config problem ..... please help... TQ

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Sue_haimi, Sep 10, 2008.

  1. Sue_haimi

    Sue_haimi Guest

    Hi!
    In Win_XP, my "Huawei" (ETS2058) CDMA Wireless Phone Modem
    successfully accesses the Internet after going through the password
    authentication process ( but only if I disable the "CHAP" protocol in
    the Internet Explorer Connection advanced security options ) .....
    ....If 'CHAP' is enabled, the server returns an "Invalid user name or
    password" error ..... [error 691].

    Since Win'98_SE uses "CHAP" as the default protocol, internet login
    attempts always fail the "user name & password" authentication with
    this OS.

    I have asked the local ISPs "experts" and "network engineers" to
    configure their incoming routers / servers to enable the default
    Windows (including "CHAP") protocol settings to be used but they
    insist that the "Huawei" CDMA phone modem is not compatible with
    the Windows '98 platform ....... this despite the fact that Huawei
    provides full instructions and all drivers for Windows '98 and many
    Huawei users in other countries have confirmed that they have had
    no issues with the Huawei/Win'98 combination.

    Does someone here know how to disable "CHAP" in Windows '98
    so that non-encrypted passwords can be 'sent out' to the ISP for
    internet logon purposes ?

    Thanks for any help or suggestions.
    Sue_haimi, Sep 10, 2008