    partition? Partition Manager does not allow it - alternatively, can I delete
    it or take measures to have it not be re-installed like this?

    Tony. . .
    Tony Sperling, Jun 4, 2008

  2. Tony Sperling

    Carlos Guest

    Tony,
    Have you tried the Disk Manager included in Windows?
    Start, Run, diskmgmt.msc <ENTER>
    I guess that destroying the partitions and creating them again with that
    utility should be enough.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jun 4, 2008

  3. Yes, I did. Apparently it doesn't like the idea of working with 'readonly'
    material (which it must think that it is). Just now, I even tried having
    Nero take a look at it - it does see the drive but when I ask it to erase a
    disk (in the vague hope it would treat it as a RW) it only lists actual
    CD/DVD drives as available to that option. It's not a big deal, and it's not
    for the CD size700MB (1/6, almost) which is effectively lost, I could force
    myself to accept that, if I didn't had to have it's futile presence in my
    face all of the time.

    On the other hand, I may feed it to Suse and let 'gPartEd' try out it's
    appetite one day?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 4, 2008
  4. Tony Sperling

    Carlos Guest

    There are times when Linux seems to come to the rescue, ja!
    You might try with one of those bootable distros and see what they can do
    with your rogue USB drive partition.

    On the other hand..., will there not be an issue of ownerships and obscure
    rights that is preventing your attempts to attack that partition?

    Carlos

    Carlos, Jun 4, 2008
  5. Hmm. . .I'm not sure I know what they would do with their ownership if I
    threw the thing in the incinerator? Nor am I certain who a CDFS partition
    would 'belong' to? [Sony/Philips?]

    They shall be welcome to come knocking on the door!

    Tony. . .
    Tony Sperling, Jun 4, 2008
  6. Tony Sperling

    Carlos Guest

    I see you are in a good mood today, Tony.
    By ownership I meant right-clicking, Properties and then going to the
    Security tab in order to see who's the owner and whether you can change it to
    good ol' Tony.
    From there on you would be able to do what you wish... In theory, I mean!
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jun 4, 2008
  7. Ah, the 'Human Factor', Carlos. That is why IANAL (I am not a Lawyer)

    Perhaps an indication that there is too much of Legal Issues surrounding
    Windows in general? At least too much for me to remain uninfluenced and not
    see EULA's everywhere: "If I cook the rice, is it O.K. in the legal sense to
    eat them, or should I send the remains back?".

    But you are right of course. I all ready noticed early on that they had been
    doing their 'funny' stuff with the 'attributes', that's how I managed to
    reformat the regular part of the drive. Now, after having Nero to look it
    over, I ejected the CD part which has now become inaccessible and show no
    capacity, except 22MB is actually missing from the Removable Drive part, and
    the properties on the CD part does not appear - not even the attributes that
    I changed earlier. Mysterious!!!

    As it is, I would be happy if I could make it disappear and not reappear
    when I reboot, so now I just removed it via 'Remove Hardware' wizard, where
    it was listed twice, once as a diskdrive and once as a CD. It shall be
    exciting to see what happens now.

    Thanks, though - and please remember to treat me with some patience.

    P.S.

    I do have Suse 11.0 Beta as a dedicated installation on one machine, the old
    64bit Asrock that I used to test XP x64 - this is probably the most 'good
    looking' OS I have yet seen, I am still struggling with some of the aspects
    of YAST and SAX and some other of the Suse specifics, and the RC is fresh
    out and should have an awesome functionality too. The old 10.3 was a very
    complete OS in my view.

    Tony. . .
    Tony Sperling, Jun 4, 2008
  8. Tony Sperling

    Carlos Guest

    Tony,
    If you are on Suse, you might want to read this note then:
    http://www.warp2search.net/contentt..._the_mercedes_benz_to_ubuntus_volkswagen.html
    It is RC1 time!

    Carlos

    Carlos, Jun 4, 2008
  9. Yes, I can only agree with the man. Actually, the only thing that is wrong
    with OpenSuse, is that it's not a Software Distribution like Gentoo.

    Gentoo is right down my ally, but alas, I didn't have the time to learn how
    to install it. I tried 'Sabayon' for a long time, which is an installable
    Gentoo-based system and I loved that wonderful venture but they turned out
    to being intent on having to try out anything that was new - didn't matter
    if it worked at all, only requirement was that it was the newest of the new
    and every new bug-fixed version had all the experimental stuff in it too,
    one half of which wouldn't run and the other half would crash something
    else. This pushed me away since you would never end up with a single stable
    version from which you could build your own. But I saw enough that I know it
    will have to be a software distro. Soon now, my father is going to 'the
    home' for proper care and me -I'm going on 60 and may not find a job
    anymore, so I shall have time for all that now and I may end up building my
    own software distro that'll integrate all the best little goodies - in
    software - into a compact *.ISO. A 'Tonix' system, perhaps? Nah - I think
    that one may be taken already.

    OpenSuse is a community driven project with Novell employed people behind
    the scenes, and this makes all the difference. These folk know what they are
    doing and they are bent on delivering. And they have a really nice NG forum
    too, much like we have.

    ;o)-

    Tony. . .
    Tony Sperling, Jun 4, 2008
  10. Hello Tony,
    Did you try diskpart to repartition the flash drive?
    There should be more functionality in diskpart inlcuding clean to wipe the
    drive is needed.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Jun 4, 2008
  11. As of now, I have gone through all different methods of disconnecting it
    that I know of and rebooting, but it keeps showing up again each time - I
    confess, my XP is away for repairs and I'm on Win2K at the moment, but I
    asked anyway because the problem is the same when the machine returns. I
    don't assume FDISK will handle CDFS?

    Tony. . .

    ""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" <> wrote in message
    > Hello Tony,
    > Did you try diskpart to repartition the flash drive?
    > There should be more functionality in diskpart inlcuding clean to wipe the
    > drive is needed.
    > Thanks,
    > Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    > --------------------
    > | >From: "Tony Sperling" <>
    > | >Subject: Re: CDFS partition on Flash drive. . .
    > | >Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 20:45:45 +0200
    > | >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general

    microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general:17954

    Tony Sperling, Jun 5, 2008
  12. Fdisk removes an existing partition and creates a new one. The previous
    file system should not matter.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 5, 2008
  13. Wow! I thought I knew my DOS, but the logic of your argument surprise me,
    Colin. Thanks, I'll try it immediately!

    Tony. . .

    ---
    You can never have too many options!
    ---

    Tony Sperling, Jun 5, 2008
  14. Tony Sperling

    Carlos Guest

    C'mon, Tony!
    It is almost midnight here and I cannot sleep without knowing the solution
    to your problem!
    :)
    Carlos
    (Watching soccer game between Boca Juniors and Fluminense)

    Carlos, Jun 5, 2008
  15. What brand is the flash disk? If it is a Sandisk and the utilities you speak
    of are the U3 suite then sandisk provides a utility on their website for
    removing the U3 programs and partition. This will allow you to convert it
    back to a regular usb stick.
    HTH
    Robert

    Robert McMillan, Jun 5, 2008
  16. GG, Robert - this looks like it solves the matter in one single blow! It is
    a Sandisk, indeed, and I was rummaging my drawers for those old bootable
    floppies - thanks so much for your apt intervention!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 5, 2008
  17. Glad I could help. Here is a link incase anyone else was interested.
    U3 Launchpad Removal Tool
    http://www.sandisk.com/retail/default.aspx?catid=1415

    Robert

    Robert McMillan, Jun 5, 2008
  18. Thanks a lot, Robert. Initially, because of my useless 'fiddling', I had
    managed to block myself from accessing the drive - that is sorted now. I
    downloaded the utility, started the Launchpad and every bit of the annoying
    extras disappeared in seconds.

    Couldn't be any easier! And Carlos - you can go to sleep now!

    Tony Sperling, Jun 6, 2008
  19. Tony Sperling

    Carlos Guest

    I'm working on that.
    I have just drank a glass of "mamajuana", a drink from Dominican Republic,
    which I sinthesized home by mixing a bag of strange vegetables I bought there
    together with a bottle of rhum ("ron").
    Hic, hic, hic!
    Time to hit the sack.
    Hic, hic, hic...

    :-S
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jun 6, 2008
  20. That's right, stick to mother nature, and sleep well!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 6, 2008