    Again another bummer!!!!

    Cheers
    JOhn

    Jonnybobs, May 21, 2004

  2. Jonnybobs

    olfart Guest

    "Jonnybobs" <> wrote in message
    news:SMvrc.734$...
    > Also,
    > RE:- CD WRITING - VERSION 2 / This is a hard one.
    >
    > The CD's need to be kept and updated once per year with all their current
    > work
    >
    > IE
    >
    > When they leave our school they will have a complete CD full of their work
    > from when they started at our school.
    >
    > So I Also need to keep in mind the SPACE on the CD over 5 years!.
    >
    > Again another bummer!!!!
    >
    > Cheers
    > JOhn

    Whoever in the school dreamed this up needs to have a urine test ASAP.

    olfart, May 21, 2004

  3. Jonnybobs

    Jonnybobs Guest

    Well, its a good idea in theory, But it needs to be better planned. But
    right now, I have a box of 200 Cdrw's in my office waiting to be burned.!!

    The thought of drag, drop, burn and then eject 185 times is quite scary
    unless I can come up with a time effective plan!

    Is there not a software about that you can semi Automate so that all i need
    to do is just change CD every 2 mins?

    John

    Jonnybobs, May 21, 2004
  4. Jonnybobs

    Martik Guest

    I have a lot of free time, so send me a link to the files and I'll do it for
    $2/CD!

    Martik, May 21, 2004
  5. Jonnybobs

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Jonnybobs" <> wrote:

    >Also,
    > RE:- CD WRITING - VERSION 2 / This is a hard one.
    >
    >The CD's need to be kept and updated once per year with all their current
    >work
    >
    >IE
    >
    >When they leave our school they will have a complete CD full of their work
    >from when they started at our school.
    >
    >So I Also need to keep in mind the SPACE on the CD over 5 years!.
    >
    >Again another bummer!!!!

    Wouldn't worry about that one too much.

    DVD burners are now priced close to where CD burners were 2 years ago.
    (And CD burners are now priced where CD readers were 2 years ago,)

    So before your data gets too large to fit each student onto a CD you
    will probably have a DVD burner available.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, May 21, 2004
  6. Jonnybobs wrote:

    > Also,
    > RE:- CD WRITING - VERSION 2 / This is a hard one.
    >
    > The CD's need to be kept and updated once per year with all their current
    > work
    >
    > IE
    >
    > When they leave our school they will have a complete CD full of their work
    > from when they started at our school.
    >
    > So I Also need to keep in mind the SPACE on the CD over 5 years!.
    >
    > Again another bummer!!!!

    There is no way that these CDs are going to survive 5 years
    of handling. Use write-once and hand out a new CD every
    year. RW disks are more problem than they are worth for this
    application and write-once will be cheaper.

    So each year you only have to write out the year's work. By
    the end of 5 years, each student will have 5 CDs (They would
    probably have got through 5 CDs anyway).

    Anyhow, if you are doing this year on year, you can surely
    justify the cost of a hopper-fed writer, especially if you
    really must individualise each CD.

    Have you any estimate of the space, compressed and normal,
    that each student is going to need? Have you thought of
    using a DVD writer instead, if capacity is a problem? Have
    you thought about the unfairness for those students whose
    families can't afford a computer? You /do/ realise how
    vulnerable dye-based CDs are compared to mass produced ones?
    Have you thought about putting their work on a web server,
    (maybe password protected for each of them) instead of CDs?
    Have you asked parents what they prefer? How about a format
    that could be used on a standard DVD player?

    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, May 21, 2004
  7. Jonnybobs

    Boomer Guest

    "Jonnybobs" <> wrote:

    > Well, its a good idea in theory, But it needs to be better
    > planned. But right now, I have a box of 200 Cdrw's in my office
    > waiting to be burned.!!
    >
    > The thought of drag, drop, burn and then eject 185 times is quite
    > scary unless I can come up with a time effective plan!
    >
    > Is there not a software about that you can semi Automate so that
    > all i need to do is just change CD every 2 mins?
    >
    > John

    Why are you starting 3 threads about the same subject?

    Boomer, May 22, 2004
  8. Jonnybobs

    Linda Guest

    How do you do that? Crush each student & spread him/her on,
    or is there another technique that would be easier to get a
    student onto a CD?

    "Ron Martell" <> wrote in message
    > "Jonnybobs" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Also,
    > > RE:- CD WRITING - VERSION 2 / This is a hard one.
    > >
    > >The CD's need to be kept and updated once per year with

    all their current
    > >work
    > >
    > >IE
    > >
    > >When they leave our school they will have a complete CD

    full of their work
    > >from when they started at our school.
    > >
    > >So I Also need to keep in mind the SPACE on the CD over 5

    years!.

    > >Again another bummer!!!!
    > >

    > Wouldn't worry about that one too much.
    >
    > DVD burners are now priced close to where CD burners were

    2 years ago.
    > (And CD burners are now priced where CD readers were 2

    years ago,)

    > So before your data gets too large to fit each student

    onto a CD you
    > will probably have a DVD burner available.
    >
    > Good luck
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
    >
    > "The reason computer chips are so small is computers don't

    eat much."

    Linda, May 22, 2004
  9. Jonnybobs

    docmill Guest

    "Linda" <somewhere.in.the@barossa> wrote in news:fJxrc.2151$L.1287@news-
    server.bigpond.net.au:

    > How do you do that? Crush each student & spread him/her on,
    > or is there another technique that would be easier to get a
    > student onto a CD?

    It's in the manual for Version 3.
    The rest of them are still using Version 2.
    How did you get ahead of them?

    --

    docmill, May 22, 2004