CD writer recognition by Nero

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Ardent, Dec 19, 2003.

  1. Ardent

    Ardent Guest

    X-No-Archive: yes

    I have Nero 5.5.7.6 which came with the Samsung CDRW. Now I have an LG
    with which was bundled Nero Express 5.5.9.9

    5.5.9.9 is good but it does not provide for manual settings and so I
    would like to use 5.5.7.6 with the LG

    However 5.5.7.6 does not recognize the LG CDRW but only creates an
    image file.

    Is there any way I can make 5.5.7.6 recognize the LG?

    TIA for your time and attention

    Note: If this is not the right Group for this query please tell me
    group to which I should subscribe and post this question.
    --
    Sandy Archer
    Reply to newsgroups only
    Ardent, Dec 19, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Ardent

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Ardent <> wrote in
    news::

    > Is there any way I can make 5.5.7.6 recognize the LG?


    The problem has nothing to do with the version. You have two copies of
    nero that are each tied to the drive they were shipped with.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    website: under construction
    Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
    email/IM for rates/services
    DeMoN LaG, Dec 19, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Ardent

    Thor Guest

    "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    news:Xns9455CE916FF3FWobbly@216.168.3.30...
    > Ardent <> wrote in
    > news::
    >
    > > Is there any way I can make 5.5.7.6 recognize the LG?

    >
    > The problem has nothing to do with the version. You have two copies of
    > nero that are each tied to the drive they were shipped with.


    No Demon, I disagree. In my experience, drive manufacturers have never
    shipped versions of Nero that are tied to their specific make/model of
    drive. I'm certain the problem is that the version he's using isn't new
    enough to support the newer drive's operating parameters. I've seen it and
    dealt with it many times. Practically every update of a Nero version
    includes support for a list of new drives. You just have to update to the
    newer version to make it work.
    Thor, Dec 19, 2003
    #3
  4. Ardent

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    > news:Xns9455CE916FF3FWobbly@216.168.3.30...
    >
    >>Ardent <> wrote in
    >>news::
    >>
    >>
    >>>Is there any way I can make 5.5.7.6 recognize the LG?

    >>
    >>The problem has nothing to do with the version. You have two copies of
    >>nero that are each tied to the drive they were shipped with.

    >
    >
    > No Demon, I disagree. In my experience, drive manufacturers have never
    > shipped versions of Nero that are tied to their specific make/model of
    > drive. I'm certain the problem is that the version he's using isn't new
    > enough to support the newer drive's operating parameters. I've seen it and
    > dealt with it many times. Practically every update of a Nero version
    > includes support for a list of new drives. You just have to update to the
    > newer version to make it work.
    >
    >

    I wouldn't say never Thor. My three burners all have bundled copies of
    Nero tied to the particular burner, but only for installation. They
    are two Liteon, and one MSI.

    I have never had the problem the OP has had though. Generally I have
    found that once the software has been installed the drive has been able
    to be swapped without the software suddenly stopping working. It may
    not give the full range of features, but still works.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Dec 19, 2003
    #4
  5. Ardent

    Livewire Guest

    In article <>, says...
    >
    > "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    > news:Xns9455CE916FF3FWobbly@216.168.3.30...
    > > Ardent <> wrote in
    > > news::
    > >
    > > > Is there any way I can make 5.5.7.6 recognize the LG?

    > >
    > > The problem has nothing to do with the version. You have two copies of
    > > nero that are each tied to the drive they were shipped with.

    >
    > No Demon, I disagree. In my experience, drive manufacturers have never
    > shipped versions of Nero that are tied to their specific make/model of
    > drive.


    Oh yes they have. I have seen it very often with Nero. However when you
    try to use it with the wrong drive it makes it very clear why it won't
    work.
    Livewire, Dec 19, 2003
    #5
  6. Ardent

    Thor Guest

    "Livewire" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > In article <>, says...
    > >
    > > "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    > > news:Xns9455CE916FF3FWobbly@216.168.3.30...
    > > > Ardent <> wrote in
    > > > news::
    > > >
    > > > > Is there any way I can make 5.5.7.6 recognize the LG?
    > > >
    > > > The problem has nothing to do with the version. You have two copies

    of
    > > > nero that are each tied to the drive they were shipped with.

    > >
    > > No Demon, I disagree. In my experience, drive manufacturers have never
    > > shipped versions of Nero that are tied to their specific make/model of
    > > drive.

    >
    > Oh yes they have. I have seen it very often with Nero. However when you
    > try to use it with the wrong drive it makes it very clear why it won't
    > work.


    Well, I have about 8 different Nero bundled discs from over the last few
    years from version 4xx up through 6xx, and none of them were tied to
    specific drive makes they were shipped with. Never seen one that was. If
    some are that way, it's a pretty absurd idea, because if you already have a
    burner, and you want to simply add another (or a DVD burner), it would work
    with one burner, and not the other. Why the hell would Ahead software allow
    their product to be so crippled? In any case, you could just simply download
    the latest update from Nero, and it should work, because the updates
    overwrite the previous program version anyway.
    Thor, Dec 19, 2003
    #6
  7. Ardent

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > "Livewire" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >
    >>In article <>, says...
    >>
    >>>"DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    >>>news:Xns9455CE916FF3FWobbly@216.168.3.30...
    >>>
    >>>>Ardent <> wrote in
    >>>>news::
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>>Is there any way I can make 5.5.7.6 recognize the LG?
    >>>>
    >>>>The problem has nothing to do with the version. You have two copies

    >
    > of
    >
    >>>>nero that are each tied to the drive they were shipped with.
    >>>
    >>>No Demon, I disagree. In my experience, drive manufacturers have never
    >>>shipped versions of Nero that are tied to their specific make/model of
    >>>drive.

    >>
    >>Oh yes they have. I have seen it very often with Nero. However when you
    >>try to use it with the wrong drive it makes it very clear why it won't
    >>work.

    >
    >
    > Well, I have about 8 different Nero bundled discs from over the last few
    > years from version 4xx up through 6xx, and none of them were tied to
    > specific drive makes they were shipped with. Never seen one that was. If
    > some are that way, it's a pretty absurd idea, because if you already have a
    > burner, and you want to simply add another (or a DVD burner), it would work
    > with one burner, and not the other. Why the hell would Ahead software allow
    > their product to be so crippled? In any case, you could just simply download
    > the latest update from Nero, and it should work, because the updates
    > overwrite the previous program version anyway.
    >
    >


    Very strange that you haven't come across it Thor with your experience.

    Strangely enough, your comment about adding a second burner does not
    seem to bother the tied versions I have seen - it is only when
    installing initially that there is ever a problem. Once installed you
    can swap and change the drives without any problems.

    It actually makes sense for Ahead, or any other burning program supplier
    to do it that way. Presumedly the manufacturer of the burner pays for
    the OEM software and this is passed on to the buyer. I guess it means
    Ahead or other supplier gets to move more product.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Dec 19, 2003
    #7
  8. Ardent

    OliviaJaq Guest

    >Once installed you
    >can swap and change the drives without any problems.


    After installation,I had swapped out my Creative drive with a Sony and could
    not utilize Nero with the new drive. Like someone else had mentioned, It was
    clearly stated, saying it would only work with a creative drive. I never
    bothered trying to work it out, but i believe if you swap the drives and then
    do the update it should be alright. If not, other than just breaking down and
    buying Nero, ask a "program enhancer". I'm sure there is a quick patch to
    eliminate that.
    OliviaJaq, Dec 19, 2003
    #8
  9. Ardent

    Night_Seer Guest

    Oldus Fartus wrote:
    > Thor wrote:
    >
    >> "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    >> news:Xns9455CE916FF3FWobbly@216.168.3.30...
    >>
    >>> Ardent <> wrote in
    >>> news::
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> Is there any way I can make 5.5.7.6 recognize the LG?
    >>>
    >>> The problem has nothing to do with the version. You have two
    >>> copies of nero that are each tied to the drive they were shipped
    >>> with.

    >>
    >>
    >> No Demon, I disagree. In my experience, drive manufacturers have
    >> never shipped versions of Nero that are tied to their specific
    >> make/model of drive. I'm certain the problem is that the version
    >> he's using isn't new enough to support the newer drive's operating
    >> parameters. I've seen it and dealt with it many times. Practically
    >> every update of a Nero version includes support for a list of new
    >> drives. You just have to update to the newer version to make it work.
    >>
    >>

    > I wouldn't say never Thor. My three burners all have bundled copies
    > of Nero tied to the particular burner, but only for installation.
    > They are two Liteon, and one MSI.
    >
    > I have never had the problem the OP has had though. Generally I have
    > found that once the software has been installed the drive has been
    > able to be swapped without the software suddenly stopping working.
    > It may not give the full range of features, but still works.


    Yes my all the Lite-On Nero versions I've ever used are directly tied to
    the drive it came with, and will not function with any other.

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Dec 19, 2003
    #9
  10. Ardent

    Trent© Guest

    On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 09:02:07 -0500, "Thor" <> wrote:

    >Well, I have about 8 different Nero bundled discs from over the last few
    >years from version 4xx up through 6xx, and none of them were tied to
    >specific drive makes they were shipped with. Never seen one that was.


    I've run across it many times.

    >If
    >some are that way, it's a pretty absurd idea, because if you already have a
    >burner, and you want to simply add another (or a DVD burner), it would work
    >with one burner, and not the other.


    Its only tied in the installation.

    >Why the hell would Ahead software allow
    >their product to be so crippled? In any case, you could just simply download
    >the latest update from Nero, and it should work, because the updates
    >overwrite the previous program version anyway.


    But the 'previous' program isn't INSTALLED! That's where the
    crippling comes into play...in the installation.



    Wishing you and yours a happy holiday season...

    Trent

    Proud member of the Roy Rogers fan club!
    Trent©, Dec 19, 2003
    #10
  11. Ardent

    Trent© Guest

    On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 00:27:03 GMT, Ardent <> wrote:

    >X-No-Archive: yes
    >
    >I have Nero 5.5.7.6 which came with the Samsung CDRW. Now I have an LG
    >with which was bundled Nero Express 5.5.9.9
    >
    >5.5.9.9 is good but it does not provide for manual settings and so I
    >would like to use 5.5.7.6 with the LG
    >
    >However 5.5.7.6 does not recognize the LG CDRW but only creates an
    >image file.
    >
    >Is there any way I can make 5.5.7.6 recognize the LG?


    Simply go to the Nero site and get the latest drivers. That older
    version of Nero can't see your newer burner.



    Wishing you and yours a happy holiday season...

    Trent

    Proud member of the Roy Rogers fan club!
    Trent©, Dec 19, 2003
    #11
  12. Ardent

    Trent© Guest

    On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 01:20:26 -0000, DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote:

    >Ardent <> wrote in
    >news::
    >
    >> Is there any way I can make 5.5.7.6 recognize the LG?

    >
    >The problem has nothing to do with the version. You have two copies of
    >nero that are each tied to the drive they were shipped with.


    That's not his problem, Jim. The crippling comes into play only in
    the installation.



    Wishing you and yours a happy holiday season...

    Trent

    Proud member of the Roy Rogers fan club!
    Trent©, Dec 19, 2003
    #12
  13. Ardent

    Thor Guest

    "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
    news:p...
    > Oldus Fartus wrote:
    > > Thor wrote:
    > >
    > >> "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    > >> news:Xns9455CE916FF3FWobbly@216.168.3.30...
    > >>
    > >>> Ardent <> wrote in
    > >>> news::
    > >>>
    > >>>
    > >>>> Is there any way I can make 5.5.7.6 recognize the LG?
    > >>>
    > >>> The problem has nothing to do with the version. You have two
    > >>> copies of nero that are each tied to the drive they were shipped
    > >>> with.
    > >>
    > >>
    > >> No Demon, I disagree. In my experience, drive manufacturers have
    > >> never shipped versions of Nero that are tied to their specific
    > >> make/model of drive. I'm certain the problem is that the version
    > >> he's using isn't new enough to support the newer drive's operating
    > >> parameters. I've seen it and dealt with it many times. Practically
    > >> every update of a Nero version includes support for a list of new
    > >> drives. You just have to update to the newer version to make it work.
    > >>
    > >>

    > > I wouldn't say never Thor. My three burners all have bundled copies
    > > of Nero tied to the particular burner, but only for installation.
    > > They are two Liteon, and one MSI.
    > >
    > > I have never had the problem the OP has had though. Generally I have
    > > found that once the software has been installed the drive has been
    > > able to be swapped without the software suddenly stopping working.
    > > It may not give the full range of features, but still works.

    >
    > Yes my all the Lite-On Nero versions I've ever used are directly tied to
    > the drive it came with, and will not function with any other.


    Well I've not bought any Lite-on drives since 97 or so, and they weren't
    burners, so I can't speak for those, or creative, because I don't use those
    either. The most recent ones I have were included with an Artec drive (Nero
    5595), and with a BenQ DVDRW drive, (NeroVision Express) and I've installed
    those on a secondary system with my Yamaha burner not long ago, and neither
    gave me any problems. I guess it just depends on the brand you buy.
    Thor, Dec 19, 2003
    #13
  14. Ardent

    Night_Seer Guest

    Thor wrote:
    > "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
    > news:p...
    >> Oldus Fartus wrote:
    >>> Thor wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    >>>> news:Xns9455CE916FF3FWobbly@216.168.3.30...
    >>>>
    >>>>> Ardent <> wrote in
    >>>>> news::
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> Is there any way I can make 5.5.7.6 recognize the LG?
    >>>>>
    >>>>> The problem has nothing to do with the version. You have two
    >>>>> copies of nero that are each tied to the drive they were shipped
    >>>>> with.
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> No Demon, I disagree. In my experience, drive manufacturers have
    >>>> never shipped versions of Nero that are tied to their specific
    >>>> make/model of drive. I'm certain the problem is that the version
    >>>> he's using isn't new enough to support the newer drive's operating
    >>>> parameters. I've seen it and dealt with it many times. Practically
    >>>> every update of a Nero version includes support for a list of new
    >>>> drives. You just have to update to the newer version to make it
    >>>> work.
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>> I wouldn't say never Thor. My three burners all have bundled
    >>> copies of Nero tied to the particular burner, but only for
    >>> installation. They are two Liteon, and one MSI.
    >>>
    >>> I have never had the problem the OP has had though. Generally I
    >>> have found that once the software has been installed the drive has
    >>> been able to be swapped without the software suddenly stopping
    >>> working.
    >>> It may not give the full range of features, but still works.

    >>
    >> Yes my all the Lite-On Nero versions I've ever used are directly
    >> tied to the drive it came with, and will not function with any other.

    >
    > Well I've not bought any Lite-on drives since 97 or so, and they
    > weren't burners, so I can't speak for those, or creative, because I
    > don't use those either. The most recent ones I have were included
    > with an Artec drive (Nero 5595), and with a BenQ DVDRW drive,
    > (NeroVision Express) and I've installed those on a secondary system
    > with my Yamaha burner not long ago, and neither gave me any problems.
    > I guess it just depends on the brand you buy.


    Yeah...and it seems it is only tied to installation, which I didn't
    know.

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Dec 19, 2003
    #14
  15. Ardent

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Thor wrote:


    >
    > Well I've not bought any Lite-on drives since 97 or so, and they weren't
    > burners, so I can't speak for those, or creative, because I don't use those
    > either. The most recent ones I have were included with an Artec drive (Nero
    > 5595), and with a BenQ DVDRW drive, (NeroVision Express) and I've installed
    > those on a secondary system with my Yamaha burner not long ago, and neither
    > gave me any problems. I guess it just depends on the brand you buy.
    >
    >


    You could be right there Thor. My last burners have been 2 Liteons,
    and one MSI and the Nero CDs for all of them are marked "The software
    will only work with the drive it came bundled with".

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Dec 19, 2003
    #15
  16. Oldus Fartus wrote:

    > Thor wrote:
    >
    >
    >>
    >> Well I've not bought any Lite-on drives since 97 or so, and they weren't
    >> burners, so I can't speak for those, or creative, because I don't use
    >> those
    >> either. The most recent ones I have were included with an Artec drive
    >> (Nero
    >> 5595), and with a BenQ DVDRW drive, (NeroVision Express) and I've
    >> installed
    >> those on a secondary system with my Yamaha burner not long ago, and
    >> neither
    >> gave me any problems. I guess it just depends on the brand you buy.
    >>
    >>

    >
    > You could be right there Thor. My last burners have been 2 Liteons,
    > and one MSI and the Nero CDs for all of them are marked "The software
    > will only work with the drive it came bundled with".
    >


    Have you actually tried them with other drives, or are you relying on
    what the CD says? I'm wondering if the problem might be OS-related.
    Can't remember what product it was now, but I had one that recognized
    multiple burners on WinXP but not on Win98-the difference turned out to
    be WinXP's built-in support for CD burners. Under Win98 the program used
    its own support which was limited. Under WinXP it worked with any burner
    supported by the OS. (I did notice that you were using XP-that's why I
    started out by asking whether or not you've actually tried this. I'm
    speculating that the CD advice might be for Win9x/2000.)
    Calvin Crumrine, Dec 19, 2003
    #16
  17. Ardent

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in news::

    > Well I've not bought any Lite-on drives since 97 or so, and they
    > weren't burners, so I can't speak for those, or creative, because I
    > don't use those either. The most recent ones I have were included with
    > an Artec drive (Nero 5595), and with a BenQ DVDRW drive, (NeroVision
    > Express) and I've installed those on a secondary system with my Yamaha
    > burner not long ago, and neither gave me any problems. I guess it just
    > depends on the brand you buy.
    >


    I've bought 5 liteon burners and 3 "generic" no name burners in the past
    year for various reasons and people, and all of them came with a version of
    nero that could only use the model it was shipped with. I couldn't even
    use the version of Nero that came with the 52x LiteOn drives with the 48x
    models.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    website: under construction
    Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
    email/IM for rates/services
    DeMoN LaG, Dec 19, 2003
    #17
  18. Ardent

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Calvin Crumrine <> wrote in
    news::

    > Have you actually tried them with other drives, or are you relying on
    > what the CD says? I'm wondering if the problem might be OS-related.
    > Can't remember what product it was now, but I had one that recognized
    > multiple burners on WinXP but not on Win98-the difference turned out to
    > be WinXP's built-in support for CD burners. Under Win98 the program used
    > its own support which was limited. Under WinXP it worked with any burner
    > supported by the OS. (I did notice that you were using XP-that's why I
    > started out by asking whether or not you've actually tried this. I'm
    > speculating that the CD advice might be for Win9x/2000.)
    >


    I've installed Nero from an OEM disc like that, it installs fine, but when
    you attempt to burn anything the only option you have is to burn an image
    file, as in, just write an ISO to your hard drive.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    website: under construction
    Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
    email/IM for rates/services
    DeMoN LaG, Dec 19, 2003
    #18
  19. DeMoN LaG wrote:
    > Calvin Crumrine <> wrote in
    > news::
    >
    >
    >>Have you actually tried them with other drives, or are you relying on
    >>what the CD says? I'm wondering if the problem might be OS-related.
    >>Can't remember what product it was now, but I had one that recognized
    >>multiple burners on WinXP but not on Win98-the difference turned out to
    >>be WinXP's built-in support for CD burners. Under Win98 the program used
    >>its own support which was limited. Under WinXP it worked with any burner
    >>supported by the OS. (I did notice that you were using XP-that's why I
    >>started out by asking whether or not you've actually tried this. I'm
    >>speculating that the CD advice might be for Win9x/2000.)
    >>

    >
    >
    > I've installed Nero from an OEM disc like that, it installs fine, but when
    > you attempt to burn anything the only option you have is to burn an image
    > file, as in, just write an ISO to your hard drive.
    >

    This wasn't Nero-it was a backup program. Problem is, I don't remember
    which one but on WinXP it would use any CD burner I had while on Win98
    it would only use a few of them.
    Calvin Crumrine, Dec 19, 2003
    #19
  20. Ardent

    Trent© Guest

    On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 13:12:49 -0900, Calvin Crumrine
    <> wrote:

    >> I've installed Nero from an OEM disc like that, it installs fine, but when
    >> you attempt to burn anything the only option you have is to burn an image
    >> file, as in, just write an ISO to your hard drive.
    >>

    >This wasn't Nero-it was a backup program. Problem is, I don't remember
    >which one but on WinXP it would use any CD burner I had while on Win98
    >it would only use a few of them.


    Its because of the age of the drivers, of course.



    Wishing you and yours a happy holiday season...

    Trent

    Proud member of the Roy Rogers fan club!
    Trent©, Dec 20, 2003
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. AM

    Using a new (Slave) DVD writer with Nero

    AM, Jan 21, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    570
  2. zebu

    Replacing CD writer with DVD writer

    zebu, Apr 11, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    2,498
    Eugene Solot
    Apr 12, 2004
  3. Gareth not NLL or anybody else.

    CD writer and Dvd writer problem

    Gareth not NLL or anybody else., Apr 28, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    632
    Gareth not NLL or anybody else.
    Apr 28, 2004
  4. reachinout
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    575
    °Mike°
    Sep 20, 2004
  5. Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,080
    AZ Nomad
    Mar 31, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page