    system on, won't read discs & won't stop flashing. Is it repairable?

    Cheers

    Andy.

    Andy Morrison, Nov 27, 2004

  2. Andy Morrison

    Cubzilla Guest

    maybe

    Cubzilla, Nov 27, 2004

  3. Andy Morrison

    Linda Guest

    "Andy Morrison" <> wrote in
    message news:41a85c17$0$16575$...
    > The light on my teac cd writer has started flashing as soon as I
    > turn the system on, won't read discs & won't stop flashing. Is it
    > repairable?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Andy.

    How much money have you got?

    Linda, Nov 27, 2004
  4. Andy Morrison

    Lisa Guest

    See if you can find the manufacturer and brand. Look it up on their website
    and see if you can find Firmware. Flash it and see if that helps.

    Lisa, Nov 27, 2004
  5. Andy Morrison

    Mellowed Guest

    At the current price of writers, It'll be cheaper to just replace it.

    Mellowed, Nov 27, 2004
  6. Andy Morrison

    Chris Hunt Guest

    When I had a cd writer problem the person I spoke to had said to remove it
    from the hardware list, reset the bios and restart the computer so it would
    reinstall the drive. If you have any clue what I said see if it works for
    you. If you don't be cautious.

    Chris Hunt, Nov 27, 2004
  7. Andy Morrison

    Bob B Guest

    What speeds did your teac re writer work at ?

    --
    This is the place for all your fancy dress and christmas gifts
    http://www.thelaughingstock.co.uk/

    Bob B, Nov 28, 2004
  8. Andy Morrison

    Gary Guest

    Andy Morrison wrote:

    > The light on my teac cd writer has started flashing as soon as I turn the
    > system on, won't read discs & won't stop flashing. Is it repairable?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Andy.

    Since you just moved it to a new case, is it possible that you reversed
    the ribbon cable and have pin 1 at the wrong end? Pull the cable off,
    and verify that the marked/colored trace on the side of the cable is on
    the same side as the power connector. Also check that you have the
    ribbon cable connected properly to the mobo.

    Gary, Nov 28, 2004
  9. "Bob B" <> wrote in message
    > What speeds did your teac re writer work at ?

    4x4x32

    Andy Morrison, Nov 28, 2004
  10. "Lisa" <> wrote in message
    > See if you can find the manufacturer and brand. Look it up on their
    > website and see if you can find Firmware. Flash it and see if that helps.
    >
    > "Andy Morrison" <> wrote in message
    >> The light on my teac cd writer has started flashing as soon as I turn the
    >> system on, won't read discs & won't stop flashing. Is it repairable?
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> Andy.

    I'll maybe try that Lisa, thanks.

    Andy.

    Andy Morrison, Nov 28, 2004
  11. "Mellowed" <> wrote in message

    > At the current price of writers, It'll be cheaper to just replace it.
    >

    > "Andy Morrison" <> wrote in message
    >> The light on my teac cd writer has started flashing as soon as I turn the
    >> system on, won't read discs & won't stop flashing. Is it repairable?
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> Andy.

    It is actually in a pc I am donating to my grandaughter's school, so I don't
    want to spend any money on it.

    Andy.

    Andy Morrison, Nov 28, 2004
  12. "Chris Hunt" <> wrote in message
    > When I had a cd writer problem the person I spoke to had said to remove it
    > from the hardware list, reset the bios and restart the computer so it
    > would reinstall the drive. If you have any clue what I said see if it
    > works for you. If you don't be cautious.
    >

    > "Mellowed" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> At the current price of writers, It'll be cheaper to just replace it.
    >>

    >> "Andy Morrison" <> wrote in message
    >>> The light on my teac cd writer has started flashing as soon as I turn
    >>> the system on, won't read discs & won't stop flashing. Is it repairable?
    >>>
    >>> Cheers
    >>>
    >>> Andy.

    Hi Chris, can I reset the bios if the writer isn't in the hardware list.
    Excuse my ignorance.

    Andy.

    Andy Morrison, Nov 28, 2004
  13. "Gary" <> wrote in message
    > Andy Morrison wrote:
    >
    >> The light on my teac cd writer has started flashing as soon as I turn the
    >> system on, won't read discs & won't stop flashing. Is it repairable?
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> Andy.
    >>

    > Since you just moved it to a new case, is it possible that you reversed
    > the ribbon cable and have pin 1 at the wrong end? Pull the cable off, and
    > verify that the marked/colored trace on the side of the cable is on the
    > same side as the power connector. Also check that you have the ribbon
    > cable connected properly to the mobo.

    Hi Gary, thanks for the reply but yes I tried that with no success.

    Andy.

    Andy Morrison, Nov 28, 2004
  14. Andy Morrison

    Gary Guest

    Turn the computer off, power off, disconnect the ribbon cable and power
    to the drive, restart the computer, go to control panel, remove the
    device drivers from the system, restart again to clear it out, turn off,
    reconnect the device and restart. If it is working at all, Windows
    should find and reinstall the drivers. If it isn't found and you have it
    connected properly, then it is dead and ready for the junk pile.

    Gary, Nov 28, 2004
  15. Andy Morrison

    Duck ducking Guest

    On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 20:47:14 -0000, "Andy Morrison"
    <> wrote:

    >It is actually in a pc I am donating to my grandaughter's school, so I don't
    >want to spend any money on it.
    >
    >Andy.

    Hate to break it to you but your grankids granpa is much cheapo.

    Duck ducking, Nov 29, 2004
  16. "Duck ducking" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 20:47:14 -0000, "Andy Morrison"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>It is actually in a pc I am donating to my grandaughter's school, so I
    >>don't
    >>want to spend any money on it.
    >>
    >>Andy.
    >>

    > Hate to break it to you but your grankids granpa is much cheapo.

    Hate to break this to you but I have already bought a brand new pc case to
    put it in, the writer worked ok the last time I tried it + I have put a new
    cd rom in. So my effort on it is not as cheapo as your remark when you don't
    know the circumstances. Butt out.

    Andy.

    Andy Morrison, Nov 29, 2004
  17. Andy Morrison

    Bob B Guest

    > "Bob B" <> wrote in message
    > > What speeds did your teac re writer work at ?
    > >

    > 4x4x32

    Thought so...mine was the same one and it just gave up working properly.
    Best thing that ever happened to it as I then bought a new 52 times speed
    one for about £25 and have now got more time to fiddle on the computer and
    not sit about for hours while it very slowly copied my files. Bob> >

    Bob B, Nov 30, 2004