    get cd information like track title etc.. from the internet automatically, I
    don't know if I can use this in anyway to rip the cd's to wav for windows
    media encoder to encode, that would probably be the easiest way if I could.
    rolling, Apr 6, 2005

  2. rolling

    rolling Guest

    "rolling" <rolling@along> wrote in message news:42545abd$...
    > I would like to rip all my music cd's to wma files so that I can play them
    > easily in my car, what is the easiest way to do this. Preferably I would
    > like my car stereo to be able to read the track title etc... but if it is
    > too much extra work I won't bother. I have downloaded windows media

    encoder
    > 7, I can't use 8 as I run win98se. I have ahead nero 5 and I know that can
    > get cd information like track title etc.. from the internet automatically,

    > don't know if I can use this in anyway to rip the cd's to wav for windows
    > media encoder to encode, that would probably be the easiest way if I

    could.

    Just read the wma versus mp3 thread and it seems there is a lot of
    resistance and bias against wma which I can understand but in my case I have
    a car stereo that can play mp3 and wma and from what I understand I can get
    higher quality and smaller file size with wma and as I would like to get as
    many songs on a cdr as possible this is important, I don't want files sizes
    much bigger than what is created when encoding in mp3 in 128 bitrate. So
    non-biased opinions would be appreciated, I don't want to make any political
    stand against wma, I just want the best encoding for my application.
    rolling, Apr 6, 2005

  3. rolling

    A.D. Guest

    rolling wrote:
    > "rolling" <rolling@along> wrote in message news:42545abd$...
    >
    >>I would like to rip all my music cd's to wma files so that I can play them
    >>easily in my car, what is the easiest way to do this.

    SnapFiles.com has useful freeware.

    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/audiocrusher.html

    That link takes you to a program that runs on Windows 98. I have not
    tested it though.

    <snip>
    The program supports a wide range of sound formats such as RAW Audio,
    WAV, MP3 via LameEnc, BladeEnc or the Frauenhofer Codec and WMA.
    </snip>

    A.D.
    A.D., Apr 7, 2005
  4. rolling

    rolling Guest

    > >>I would like to rip all my music cd's to wma files so that I can play

    them
    > >>easily in my car, what is the easiest way to do this.

    > SnapFiles.com has useful freeware.
    >
    > http://www.snapfiles.com/get/audiocrusher.html
    >
    > That link takes you to a program that runs on Windows 98. I have not
    > tested it though.
    >
    > <snip>
    > The program supports a wide range of sound formats such as RAW Audio,
    > WAV, MP3 via LameEnc, BladeEnc or the Frauenhofer Codec and WMA.
    > </snip>
    >
    > A.D.

    Thanks, I have not got it to work yet, for a start it fails to rip from my
    cdr drive to wav, it says that it cannot read the cd and that my drive may
    not support digital extraction when I know it does, I have configured the
    program for my drive but no luck. Also I can see no way to get a wma option.
    Anyhow just letting you know, I know you can't help as you have not tried
    it, thanks anyhow.
    rolling, Apr 7, 2005
  5. rolling

    rolling Guest

    "rolling" <rolling@along> wrote in message news:4254721d$...

    > "A.D." <> wrote in message news:...
    > > rolling wrote:
    > > > "rolling" <rolling@along> wrote in message

    > them

    > > SnapFiles.com has useful freeware.
    > >
    > > http://www.snapfiles.com/get/audiocrusher.html
    > >
    > > That link takes you to a program that runs on Windows 98. I have not
    > > tested it though.
    > >
    > > <snip>
    > > The program supports a wide range of sound formats such as RAW Audio,
    > > WAV, MP3 via LameEnc, BladeEnc or the Frauenhofer Codec and WMA.
    > > </snip>
    > >
    > > A.D.

    > Thanks, I have not got it to work yet, for a start it fails to rip from my
    > cdr drive to wav, it says that it cannot read the cd and that my drive may
    > not support digital extraction when I know it does, I have configured the
    > program for my drive but no luck. Also I can see no way to get a wma

    option.
    > Anyhow just letting you know, I know you can't help as you have not tried
    > it, thanks anyhow.

    I guess this program must be buggy, everything seems to work until i try to
    rip.
    rolling, Apr 7, 2005
  6. rolling

    rolling Guest

    rolling wrote:
    > "rolling" <rolling@along> wrote in message news:4254721d$...

    >>them

    >>>SnapFiles.com has useful freeware.
    >>>
    >>>http://www.snapfiles.com/get/audiocrusher.html
    >>>
    >>>That link takes you to a program that runs on Windows 98. I have not
    >>>tested it though.
    >>>
    >>><snip>
    >>>The program supports a wide range of sound formats such as RAW Audio,
    >>>WAV, MP3 via LameEnc, BladeEnc or the Frauenhofer Codec and WMA.
    >>></snip>
    >>>
    >>>A.D.

    >>Thanks, I have not got it to work yet, for a start it fails to rip from my
    >>cdr drive to wav, it says that it cannot read the cd and that my drive may
    >>not support digital extraction when I know it does, I have configured the
    >>program for my drive but no luck. Also I can see no way to get a wma

    > option.
    >
    >>Anyhow just letting you know, I know you can't help as you have not tried
    >>it, thanks anyhow.
    >>

    > I guess this program must be buggy, everything seems to work until i try to
    > rip.

    Ok, I have wasted enough time trying to get this program to work but it
    just refuses to extract from my cddrive, must be a bug. So I'm still
    looking for a method to do what want so I would appreciate more suggestions.
    rolling, Apr 7, 2005
  7. rolling

    shannon Guest

    On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 10:38:13 +1200, rolling wrote:

    > "rolling" <rolling@along> wrote in message news:42545abd$...
    >> I would like to rip all my music cd's to wma files so that I can play them
    >> easily in my car, what is the easiest way to do this. Preferably I would
    >> like my car stereo to be able to read the track title etc... but if it is
    >> too much extra work I won't bother. I have downloaded windows media

    > encoder
    >> 7, I can't use 8 as I run win98se. I have ahead nero 5 and I know that can
    >> get cd information like track title etc.. from the internet automatically,

    >> don't know if I can use this in anyway to rip the cd's to wav for windows
    >> media encoder to encode, that would probably be the easiest way if I

    > could.
    >>

    > Just read the wma versus mp3 thread and it seems there is a lot of
    > resistance and bias against wma which I can understand but in my case I have
    > a car stereo that can play mp3 and wma and from what I understand I can get
    > higher quality and smaller file size with wma and as I would like to get as
    > many songs on a cdr as possible this is important, I don't want files sizes
    > much bigger than what is created when encoding in mp3 in 128 bitrate. So
    > non-biased opinions would be appreciated, I don't want to make any political
    > stand against wma, I just want the best encoding for my application.

    0. Download CDex
    http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/
    1. Download and install WMA Encoder 9
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...02-e496-465a-bba9-b2f1182cdf24&displaylang=en

    2. In CDex go to Options->Settings window

    3. set Encoder to External Encoder

    4. set Encoder path to C:\WINDOWS\system32\cscript.exe

    5. set Encoder string to "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Components\Encoder\WMCmd.vbs" -input "%1" -output "%2" -a_codec WMA9STD -a_setting Q50_44_2

    6. set File Extension to WMA
    shannon, Apr 7, 2005
  8. JetAudio @ http://www.cowonamerica.com/products/jetaudio/features_04.html

    ShuckItAnShee, Apr 7, 2005
  9. rolling

    rolling Guest

    ShuckItAnShee wrote:
    > JetAudio @ http://www.cowonamerica.com/products/jetaudio/features_04.html
    >
    > "rolling" <rolling@along> wrote in message news:42545abd$...
    >
    >>I would like to rip all my music cd's to wma files so that I can play them
    >>easily in my car, what is the easiest way to do this. Preferably I would
    >>like my car stereo to be able to read the track title etc... but if it is
    >>too much extra work I won't bother. I have downloaded windows media

    > encoder
    >
    >>7, I can't use 8 as I run win98se. I have ahead nero 5 and I know that can
    >>get cd information like track title etc.. from the internet automatically,

    >>don't know if I can use this in anyway to rip the cd's to wav for windows
    >>media encoder to encode, that would probably be the easiest way if I

    > could.

    Thanks a lot, I have tried it out and it seems to be the ticket.
    rolling, Apr 7, 2005
  10. rolling

    rolling Guest

    shannon wrote:
    > On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 10:38:13 +1200, rolling wrote:
    >

    >>"rolling" <rolling@along> wrote in message news:42545abd$...
    >>
    >>>I would like to rip all my music cd's to wma files so that I can play them
    >>>easily in my car, what is the easiest way to do this. Preferably I would
    >>>like my car stereo to be able to read the track title etc... but if it is
    >>>too much extra work I won't bother. I have downloaded windows media

    >>encoder
    >>
    >>>7, I can't use 8 as I run win98se. I have ahead nero 5 and I know that can
    >>>get cd information like track title etc.. from the internet automatically,

    >>>don't know if I can use this in anyway to rip the cd's to wav for windows
    >>>media encoder to encode, that would probably be the easiest way if I

    >>could.
    >>
    >>Just read the wma versus mp3 thread and it seems there is a lot of
    >>resistance and bias against wma which I can understand but in my case I have
    >>a car stereo that can play mp3 and wma and from what I understand I can get
    >>higher quality and smaller file size with wma and as I would like to get as
    >>many songs on a cdr as possible this is important, I don't want files sizes
    >>much bigger than what is created when encoding in mp3 in 128 bitrate. So
    >>non-biased opinions would be appreciated, I don't want to make any political
    >>stand against wma, I just want the best encoding for my application.

    > 0. Download CDex
    > http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/
    > 1. Download and install WMA Encoder 9
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...02-e496-465a-bba9-b2f1182cdf24&displaylang=en
    >
    > 2. In CDex go to Options->Settings window
    >
    > 3. set Encoder to External Encoder
    >
    > 4. set Encoder path to C:\WINDOWS\system32\cscript.exe
    >
    > 5. set Encoder string to "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Components\Encoder\WMCmd.vbs" -input "%1" -output "%2" -a_codec WMA9STD -a_setting Q50_44_2
    >
    > 6. set File Extension to WMA

    Thanks but I can't use wma encoder 9 because it does not work with
    win98se and besides that another suggestion seems to have given me what
    I wanted.
    rolling, Apr 7, 2005
  11. rolling

    shannon Guest

    rolling wrote:
    > shannon wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 10:38:13 +1200, rolling wrote:
    >>

    >>> "rolling" <rolling@along> wrote in message

    >>> encoder

    >>> could.
    >>>
    >>> Just read the wma versus mp3 thread and it seems there is a lot of
    >>> resistance and bias against wma which I can understand but in my case
    >>> I have
    >>> a car stereo that can play mp3 and wma and from what I understand I
    >>> can get
    >>> higher quality and smaller file size with wma and as I would like to
    >>> get as
    >>> many songs on a cdr as possible this is important, I don't want files
    >>> sizes
    >>> much bigger than what is created when encoding in mp3 in 128 bitrate. So
    >>> non-biased opinions would be appreciated, I don't want to make any
    >>> political
    >>> stand against wma, I just want the best encoding for my application.

    >> 0. Download CDex http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/
    >> 1. Download and install WMA Encoder 9
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...02-e496-465a-bba9-b2f1182cdf24&displaylang=en
    >>

    >> 2. In CDex go to Options->Settings window
    >>
    >> 3. set Encoder to External Encoder
    >>
    >> 4. set Encoder path to C:\WINDOWS\system32\cscript.exe
    >>
    >> 5. set Encoder string to "C:\Program Files\Windows Media
    >> Components\Encoder\WMCmd.vbs" -input "%1" -output "%2" -a_codec
    >> WMA9STD -a_setting Q50_44_2
    >>
    >> 6. set File Extension to WMA
    >>

    > Thanks but I can't use wma encoder 9 because it does not work with
    > win98se and besides that another suggestion seems to have given me what
    > I wanted.

    Really ?

    The title on the download page describes it as

    "Windows Media Player 9 Series for Windows 98 Second Edition, Me, and 2000"

    Strange that it wouldn't run on your 98SE
    shannon, Apr 7, 2005
  12. rolling

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 10:38:13 +1200, rolling wrote:

    > Just read the wma versus mp3 thread and it seems there is a lot of
    > resistance and bias against wma which I can understand but in my case I have
    > a car stereo that can play mp3 and wma and from what I understand I can get
    > higher quality and smaller file size with wma and as I would like to get as
    > many songs on a cdr as possible this is important, I don't want files sizes
    > much bigger than what is created when encoding in mp3 in 128 bitrate. So
    > non-biased opinions would be appreciated, I don't want to make any political
    > stand against wma, I just want the best encoding for my application.

    Well, encode what and how you like, let your ears be the judge. Just keep
    lowering the bit rate to get more files on per CD.

    May I suggest that you use your head to consider the political side of
    things.

    Personally I am waiting until ogg is as common as mp3, and all players
    know how to play them.
    Gordon, Apr 7, 2005
  13. rolling

    rolling Guest

    shannon wrote:
    > rolling wrote:
    >
    >> shannon wrote:

    >>> 0. Download CDex http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/
    >>> 1. Download and install WMA Encoder 9
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...02-e496-465a-bba9-b2f1182cdf24&displaylang=en
    >>>

    >>> 2. In CDex go to Options->Settings window
    >>>
    >>> 3. set Encoder to External Encoder
    >>>
    >>> 4. set Encoder path to C:\WINDOWS\system32\cscript.exe
    >>>
    >>> 5. set Encoder string to "C:\Program Files\Windows Media
    >>> Components\Encoder\WMCmd.vbs" -input "%1" -output "%2" -a_codec
    >>> WMA9STD -a_setting Q50_44_2
    >>>
    >>> 6. set File Extension to WMA
    >>>

    >> Thanks but I can't use wma encoder 9 because it does not work with
    >> win98se and besides that another suggestion seems to have given me
    >> what I wanted.

    > Really ?
    >
    > The title on the download page describes it as
    >
    > "Windows Media Player 9 Series for Windows 98 Second Edition, Me, and 2000"
    >
    > Strange that it wouldn't run on your 98SE

    Well yes of course it does but you were talking about wma encoder which
    is a different kettle of fish, read what you wrote above as you have
    obviously got these 2 different programs confused.
    rolling, Apr 7, 2005
  14. rolling

    shannon Guest

    On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 20:07:34 +1200, rolling wrote:

    > shannon wrote:
    >> rolling wrote:

    >>> Thanks but I can't use wma encoder 9 because it does not work with
    >>> win98se and besides that another suggestion seems to have given me
    >>> what I wanted.

    >> Really ?
    >>
    >> The title on the download page describes it as
    >>
    >> "Windows Media Player 9 Series for Windows 98 Second Edition, Me, and 2000"
    >>
    >> Strange that it wouldn't run on your 98SE
    >>

    > Well yes of course it does but you were talking about wma encoder which
    > is a different kettle of fish, read what you wrote above as you have
    > obviously got these 2 different programs confused.

    So I have, My apologies
    shannon, Apr 7, 2005
  15. rolling

    ChrisOD Guest

    In article <>, rolling wrote:

    > "rolling" <rolling@along> wrote in message news:42545abd$...
    >> I would like to rip all my music cd's to wma files so that I can play them
    >> easily in my car, what is the easiest way to do this. Preferably I would
    >> like my car stereo to be able to read the track title etc... but if it is
    >> too much extra work I won't bother. I have downloaded windows media

    > encoder
    >> 7, I can't use 8 as I run win98se. I have ahead nero 5 and I know that can
    >> get cd information like track title etc.. from the internet automatically,

    >> don't know if I can use this in anyway to rip the cd's to wav for windows
    >> media encoder to encode, that would probably be the easiest way if I

    > could.
    >>

    > Just read the wma versus mp3 thread and it seems there is a lot of
    > resistance and bias against wma which I can understand but in my case I have
    > a car stereo that can play mp3 and wma and from what I understand I can get
    > higher quality and smaller file size with wma and as I would like to get as
    > many songs on a cdr as possible this is important, I don't want files sizes
    > much bigger than what is created when encoding in mp3 in 128 bitrate. So
    > non-biased opinions would be appreciated, I don't want to make any political
    > stand against wma, I just want the best encoding for my application.

    wma is very good at more detailed music such as classical.
    mp3 seems to perform better for things like rock and (shudder) dance.
    I would strongly suggest that you encode a few sample tracks with both
    and listen to them first, may waste a CD but you'll get best for your ears.

    In my humble opinion at 128k they'll both sound crappy.

    ChrisOD, Apr 7, 2005
  16. "rolling" <rolling@along> wrote in message news:42545abd$...
    >I would like to rip all my music cd's to wma files so that I can play them
    > easily in my car, what is the easiest way to do this. Preferably I would
    > like my car stereo to be able to read the track title etc... but if it is
    > too much extra work I won't bother. I have downloaded windows media
    > encoder
    > 7, I can't use 8 as I run win98se. I have ahead nero 5 and I know that can
    > get cd information like track title etc.. from the internet automatically,
    > don't know if I can use this in anyway to rip the cd's to wav for windows
    > media encoder to encode, that would probably be the easiest way if I
    > could.

    Audiograbber can rip direct to wma and retrieves track names etc from the
    internet. It's nice and small, it doesn't install a bunch of unnecessary
    features. No spyware, adware or dodgy dll files. And it's free.

    http://www.audiograbber.com-us.net/
    Jules Winnfield, Apr 8, 2005
  17. "Jules Winnfield" <> wrote in message
    > Audiograbber can rip direct to wma and retrieves track names etc from the
    > internet. It's nice and small, it doesn't install a bunch of unnecessary
    > features. No spyware, adware or dodgy dll files. And it's free.
    >
    > http://www.audiograbber.com-us.net/

    ALso dbPowerAMP is worth a try but I found the interface a little clunky.
    http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm

    BTW, doesn't windows media player encode directly to wma? Make sure you turn
    off the DRM option so you can play your files on equipment other than your
    computer.
    Jules Winnfield, Apr 8, 2005
  18. rolling

    rolling Guest

    Jules Winnfield wrote:
    > "Jules Winnfield" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Audiograbber can rip direct to wma and retrieves track names etc from the
    >>internet. It's nice and small, it doesn't install a bunch of unnecessary
    >>features. No spyware, adware or dodgy dll files. And it's free.
    >>
    >>http://www.audiograbber.com-us.net/
    >>

    > ALso dbPowerAMP is worth a try but I found the interface a little clunky.
    > http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm
    >
    > BTW, doesn't windows media player encode directly to wma? Make sure you turn
    > off the DRM option so you can play your files on equipment other than your
    > computer.

    Remember I am using win98se, mediaplayer 10 only works on xp and i have
    no intention of upgrading to that anytime soon.
    rolling, Apr 9, 2005