    cable in both, but still won't work. PS seem good, too. Any ideas, anyone?

    Thanks,
    Bill

    Bill Barker, Nov 21, 2003

  2. Bill Barker

    philo Guest

    "Bill Barker" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Please help;
    >
    > I have a "Barbie PC" (Intel BP810 MB, Celeron CPU) marketed for Mattel by
    > Patriot Computer in Canada several years ago. The CD stopped reading, so I
    > replaced it with a different drive. Worked for a while (app. 6 months) but

    now
    > won't read again. I bought another of these PC's for replacement parts,

    but it

    &
    > cable in both, but still won't work. PS seem good, too. Any ideas, anyone?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bill

    get a better quality cdrom

    the machines you bought for parts more than likely have the same
    (evidently low quality) type

    philo, Nov 21, 2003

  3. On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 10:15:13 -0600, Bill Barker <> wrote:

    >I have a "Barbie PC" (Intel BP810 MB, Celeron CPU) marketed for Mattel by
    >Patriot Computer in Canada several years ago. The CD stopped reading, so I
    >replaced it with a different drive. Worked for a while (app. 6 months) but now
    >won't read again. I bought another of these PC's for replacement parts, but it
    >too stops reading CD's after a while as well. Tried replacing the battery &
    >cable in both, but still won't work. PS seem good, too. Any ideas, anyone?

    You would have been better served by buying a better-quality CDROM instead
    of another entire "Barbie PC". The parts in pre-packaged, low-end budget
    PCs are likely marginal at best.

    Use a Win98 boot floppy and see if your CDROM works from DOS. If so, you
    may have a software conflict or other configuration issues in Windows.
    That seems to me to be more likely, given that both similar drives failed
    in the same fashion. Check Device Manager and see if your drive is
    configured properly.

    If you determine that it is indeed a hardware issue, you can by a decent
    CDROM or DVD drive for less than $40 retail.

    If you need additional help on this issue here, more detail would be
    helpful. How does the drive fail? How was it installed in the computer
    (master/slave/csel, IDE 0/1, etc), which OS you're using, ad inf.

    --
    Robert B. Clark (email ROT13'ed)
    Visit ClarkWehyr Enterprises On-Line at http://www.3clarks.com/ClarkWehyr/

    Robert B. Clark, Nov 21, 2003
  4. Bill Barker

    JAD Guest

    Tried replacing the battery &
    > >cable in both,

    I think those CD-ROMs are not standard....he mentioned batteries....????

    JAD, Nov 21, 2003
  5. Bill Barker

    Conor Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > Please help;
    >
    > I have a "Barbie PC" (Intel BP810 MB, Celeron CPU) marketed for Mattel by
    > Patriot Computer in Canada several years ago. The CD stopped reading, so I
    > replaced it with a different drive. Worked for a while (app. 6 months) but now
    > won't read again. I bought another of these PC's for replacement parts, but it
    > too stops reading CD's after a while as well. Tried replacing the battery &
    > cable in both, but still won't work. PS seem good, too. Any ideas, anyone?

    Get a decent CDROM drive or better still, a DVDROM drive.

    Don't buy a Samsung or Creative Labs one.

    --
    Conor

    Hi. This is my friend, Jack Shit, and you don't know him.

    Conor, Nov 22, 2003
  6. Bill Barker

    Bill Turner Guest

    On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 10:15:13 -0600, Bill Barker <> wrote:

    >I bought another of these PC's for replacement parts, but it
    >too stops reading CD's after a while as well.

    Before tossing it out, try cleaning the lens. I use compressed air, but
    there are special CDs with little brushes on them too. I've never used
    the latter, but they probably would do the job.

    I live in a dusty area (desert) and have to clean mine about once a
    year.

    --
    Bill, W6WRT

    Bill Turner, Nov 22, 2003
  7. On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 21:23:08 GMT, "JAD" <> wrote:

    >Tried replacing the battery &
    >> >cable in both,

    >I think those CD-ROMs are not standard....he mentioned batteries....????

    I assumed he meant the CMOS battery, which wasn't relevant to his problem
    so I ignored it. :)

    Robert B. Clark, Nov 24, 2003