CD-RW writing questions

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Brian, Sep 12, 2004.

  1. Brian

    Brian Guest

    There is a problem back home burning CD's.

    The burner is a decent 48x24x48 burner, and they purchased a CD-RW disc (not
    CD-R) so that they could write and rewrite files to CD (after many losses
    with floppy's).

    A file can not be saved on the cd if they do file > save as and choose the
    CD-RW disc as the location. The only way they can get a file on the cd at
    this point is if its on the hard drive and they drag and drop it in to an
    explorer window for the burner. Should a CD-RW disc be able to be written to
    by means of file>save as?

    Secondly, the files are unable to be deleted. Whether hitting the delete key
    or right clicking and hitting delete; the error is something about being
    read only (It is a CD-ReWritable disc!). Unable to go in the file properties
    and uncheck the read only attribute.

    The parents are using WinXP Pro, so the best choice is to keep it simple and
    have them use XP's built in burning capability rather than having to learn
    how to use nero or similiar. Where could the problem lie here? I expected
    them to be able to use their CD-RW drive and disc just as a floppy within
    winxp pro but it appears it's not working for them.

    What could the problem be here?

    Brian, Sep 12, 2004

  2. Brian

    PC Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message
    > There is a problem back home burning CD's.
    >
    > The burner is a decent 48x24x48 burner, and they purchased a CD-RW disc
    > (not CD-R) so that they could write and rewrite files to CD (after many
    > losses with floppy's).
    >
    > A file can not be saved on the cd if they do file > save as and choose the
    > CD-RW disc as the location. The only way they can get a file on the cd at
    > this point is if its on the hard drive and they drag and drop it in to an
    > explorer window for the burner. Should a CD-RW disc be able to be written
    > to by means of file>save as?
    >
    > Secondly, the files are unable to be deleted. Whether hitting the delete
    > key or right clicking and hitting delete; the error is something about
    > being read only (It is a CD-ReWritable disc!). Unable to go in the file
    > properties and uncheck the read only attribute.
    >
    > The parents are using WinXP Pro, so the best choice is to keep it simple
    > and have them use XP's built in burning capability rather than having to
    > learn how to use nero or similiar. Where could the problem lie here? I
    > expected them to be able to use their CD-RW drive and disc just as a
    > floppy within winxp pro but it appears it's not working for them.
    >
    > What could the problem be here?

    Brian

    Your 'back home' PC needs 'Packet' writing software on it to use the CDRW
    disk like you would a floppy disk.Most burners come with at least some sort
    of Packet software eg Nero, Roxio, Record Now etc in the box.

    After installing the software you have to 'Format' the CDRW (a once only
    task) before you can drag and drop, Save As files to it.

    Using the XP burning software gives you the equivalent of a CDR, albeit
    'Eraseable'.

    The definative Guide to CDR/CDRW is here : http://www.cdrfaq.org/

    Cheers
    Paul