CD-RW Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Dave Skipper, Aug 9, 2005.

  1. Dave Skipper

    Dave Skipper Guest

    Hi All

    My Dell 4100 is old by computer standards. The CD-RW drive door stopped
    working - does not open. Dell has no replacements available unless I
    get the exact same CD-RW drive. I want an upgrade. I want two CD-RW
    drives to copy CDs directly from one to the other.

    I'd also like to be able to read DVD's too. If possible I'd like to be
    able to burn DVD copies as well (Dell tells me my system's too old to do
    this)

    I'd also want to be able to back up my data. Would a CD-RW suffice or
    should I get an external HD as a backup?

    Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

    Dave

    Specs:

    Dell Dimension 4100 Series PIII at 866MHz
    512MB SDRAM at 133MHz
    40GB Ultra ATA HD (7200rpm)
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz DSP Sound Card
    Dell P780 on 32MB DDR nVidia GeForce2 GTS 4X APG Graphics Card
    8x/4x/32x CD-RW
    Firefox 1.0.4
    Windows98SE

    Dave Skipper, Aug 9, 2005

  2. Dave Skipper

    birdman Guest

    Your PIII is adequate for most uses except intense multimedia and the newest
    3d games. What matters is if it works for what you do with it.
    If you do not want to upgrade the whole computer a newer, faster internal
    hard drive will improve performance. It would be a better choice than an
    external drive.
    Your computer would be adequate to burn DVDs as the drives are much slower
    than what the computer can feed into them.
    Rendering fresh video is another matter: your system does not have a large
    enough hard drive and is too slow.
    Dvd burners are now so cheap (they do CD everything) that you might as well
    look into these rather than a new CD burner. Most drives come with
    reasonable software.

    birdman, Aug 10, 2005

  3. Dave Skipper

    HF Guest

    Read www.cdrfaq.org and discover why copying to hard disk first is better
    than drive to drive if both drives are cdrom on same ide channel.

    HF, Aug 10, 2005
  4. Dave Skipper

    Dave Skipper Guest

    HF wrote:

    > Read www.cdrfaq.org and discover why copying to hard disk first is better
    > than drive to drive if both drives are cdrom on same ide channel.
    > "Dave Skipper" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi All
    >>
    >>My Dell 4100 is old by computer standards. The CD-RW drive door stopped
    >>working - does not open. Dell has no replacements available unless I
    >>get the exact same CD-RW drive. I want an upgrade. I want two CD-RW
    >>drives to copy CDs directly from one to the other.
    >>
    >>I'd also like to be able to read DVD's too. If possible I'd like to be
    >>able to burn DVD copies as well (Dell tells me my system's too old to do
    >>this)
    >>
    >>I'd also want to be able to back up my data. Would a CD-RW suffice or
    >>should I get an external HD as a backup?
    >>
    >>Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >>Dave
    >>
    >>Specs:
    >>
    >>Dell Dimension 4100 Series PIII at 866MHz
    >>512MB SDRAM at 133MHz
    >>40GB Ultra ATA HD (7200rpm)
    >>Turtle Beach Santa Cruz DSP Sound Card
    >>Dell P780 on 32MB DDR nVidia GeForce2 GTS 4X APG Graphics Card
    >>8x/4x/32x CD-RW
    >>Firefox 1.0.4
    >>Windows98SE

    Thanks. I'll take a closer look. I'm thinking of buying a Plextor
    brand drive but haven't decided yet.

    Dave Skipper, Aug 10, 2005