    Does this sound like a problem with my entire system
    or the el-cheapo CD-RW I bought?
    Xeno
    Xeno Chauvin, Sep 8, 2004

  2. Xeno Chauvin

    Dan Guest

    Well it could be the cheap CDRW you bought. I have noticed though that
    sometimes when I have a data disk in, and start the computer it takes longer
    for the desktop to display. The CDRom is spinning. I guess the moral of
    the subject is take out the CD when your not using it.
    Dan, Sep 8, 2004

  3. Xeno Chauvin

    Hamman Guest

    "Xeno Chauvin" <> wrote in message
    >I have installed a new CD-RW in my machine and have noticed, what I
    >consider
    > a long "spin-up" which appears to freeze my machine until it stops.
    > I tend to leave a game disk in the machine. When I first boot it takes
    > 28 seconds while the CD is humming and churning and my mouse is frozen.
    > After the humming and churning is over my machine responds normally.
    > If I use a data disk I get this long time (15-20 seconds) humming and
    > churning sound before I can access data.
    > Does this sound like a problem with my entire system
    > or the el-cheapo CD-RW I bought?
    > Xeno

    Make sure the CDRW is on a different IDE channel to the hard disk.

    hamman
    Hamman, Sep 8, 2004