    LG unit show up as a burner?

    Thanks in advance,
    Mike
    Mikester71, Sep 1, 2005

  2. Mikester71

    old jon Guest

    "Mikester71" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have a LG CD-RW drive on my computer along with a Creative CD-ROM
    > drive. When I re-installed Win98SE, it shows both drives okay, but both
    > as CD-ROM drives. I loaded Adaptec DirectCD on my computer and it said
    > that it couldn't find a CD-RW drive on my computer.
    >
    > Why does the LG burner not show up as a CD-RW unit on my computer? They
    > both work okay for listening to CD's or playing games and I have them
    > set as master and slave drive on their own ide cable. How do I make the
    > LG unit show up as a burner?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Mike

    Have you checked in Device Manager, for any errors ?.
    Delete the LG in DM. restart computer, and let windows re-find it.
    Or uninstall Adaptec software and re-install it.
    best wishes..OJ
    old jon, Sep 1, 2005

  3. Mikester71

    Ingeborg Guest

    "Mikester71" <> wrote in news:1125586473.212957.287160
    @g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > I have a LG CD-RW drive on my computer along with a Creative CD-ROM
    > drive. When I re-installed Win98SE, it shows both drives okay, but both
    > as CD-ROM drives. I loaded Adaptec DirectCD on my computer and it said
    > that it couldn't find a CD-RW drive on my computer.
    >
    > Why does the LG burner not show up as a CD-RW unit on my computer? They
    > both work okay for listening to CD's or playing games and I have them
    > set as master and slave drive on their own ide cable. How do I make the
    > LG unit show up as a burner?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Mike

    W98 doesn't know about CDRW's. It only knows CDROM. So W98 won't show up a
    CDRW. In device manager you can see the vendors ID string, which could or
    could not contain CDRW.

    The burner software should recognize the burner, but if the software is too
    old it can fail for newer drives. Try to update DirectCD.
    Ingeborg, Sep 1, 2005
  4. Mikester71

    Trax Guest

    Install Force ASPI http://radified.com/ASPI/forceaspi.htm
    --
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/program.html
    Trax, Sep 1, 2005
  5. Mikester71

    Mikester71 Guest

    Already tried all that with no luck. Couldn't install newer Adaptec
    because it won't work with Win98SE. Tried my older Adaptec 4 Deluxe
    Edition and that is what couldn't detect it.

    Thanks anyways,
    Mike
    Mikester71, Sep 2, 2005
  6. Mikester71

    Mikester71 Guest

    Couldn't update due to Win98SE still being used. Said it needed WinXP
    or something for Roxio 7.5. It does show up in Device Manager as a LG
    CD-RW drive, but when I put a blank CD-R in, it doesn't recognize it as
    such.

    Thanks,
    Mike
    Mikester71, Sep 2, 2005
  7. Mikester71

    Mikester71 Guest

    Thanks Trax. Will give that a try.

    Mike
    Mikester71, Sep 2, 2005
  8. Mikester71

    PC Guest

    > Already tried all that with no luck. Couldn't install newer Adaptec
    > because it won't work with Win98SE. Tried my older Adaptec 4 Deluxe
    > Edition and that is what couldn't detect it.
    >
    > Thanks anyways,
    > Mike

    Mike

    Most bundled software is tied to the drive it came with.

    Did the 'older' Adaptec 4 come with another drive?

    If so the older Adaptec4 will not recognise your burner because it is
    looking for the drive it was bundled with, and only that drive.

    If you contact Adaptec you will most likely say 'buy the full version' (if 4
    is still available) decidedly 'unhelpful'

    I think tying the software to a particular model of drive stinks.

    And of course you have a CD Burner that works fine with the supplied
    software and you add (say) a DVD burner with it's own bundled software....
    Yep you get to use either the CD burner OR the DVD burner by swapping the
    software but not both.

    Sigh but then I guess that's the American way!

    If Packet (InCD, EasyCD etc) is not critical try CD Burner Pro XP (Freeware)
    http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

    Cheers
    Paul
    PC, Sep 3, 2005
  9. Mikester71

    Mikester71 Guest

    The older Adaptec 4 Deluxe Edition (full verison which I bought) came
    with my drive. The one I am trying to recognize is on my friends
    computer. His system came with an OEM bundled version or something, but
    it would not load all the way. It kept crashing about half-way through.
    So I tried my 4 Deluxe Edition that I am not using on my present system
    and it loaded okay, but Direct CD could not detect a CD-RW drive on his
    system. As I also stated, Roxio 7.5 would not load because he has
    Win98 on his system.

    His CD-RW drive worked fine before his system crashed and I reloaded
    Win98SE on his machine.

    Thanks,
    Mike
    Mikester71, Sep 3, 2005