CD / RW Recommedaion Pease

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by tony ritter, Oct 22, 2004.

  1. tony ritter

    tony ritter Guest

    Greetings.

    I'm using a five year old Gateway G6-350 / MS Windows 98 / Pentium II with
    350mhz and would like to upgrade to a better CD Rewriteable / Recordable
    Drive.

    I have two slots - Drive D and E.

    Top drive [Drive D] is a Sony DVD-ROM [DDU1621] [CD-ROM 40x] [DVD-ROM[16x]
    which was recently installed.

    The bottom drive is five years old and came with the computer. From my
    understanding it is vintage 1998 and slow - 2x.

    Could you please recommend a good CD Rewritable Drive along with software
    for the bottom drive that is compatable with my computer specs.

    Somebody had mentioned:

    SONY CRX 230A CD/RW with Nero and InCD @ $50.00

    Thoughts?

    Thanking all in advance.
    TR

    tony ritter, Oct 22, 2004

  2. tony ritter

    HF Guest

    Read some reviews and consider the LG GSA 4120 which supports almost
    everything inc DVD RAM. Then you can jettison all that other stuff
    especially the ancient CDrom.Came top in PC Pro reviews but read some
    reviews for yourself and make up your own mind.
    "tony ritter" <> wrote in message
    > Greetings.
    >
    > I'm using a five year old Gateway G6-350 / MS Windows 98 / Pentium II with
    > 350mhz and would like to upgrade to a better CD Rewriteable / Recordable
    > Drive.
    >
    > I have two slots - Drive D and E.
    >
    > Top drive [Drive D] is a Sony DVD-ROM [DDU1621] [CD-ROM 40x] [DVD-ROM[16x]
    > which was recently installed.
    >
    > The bottom drive is five years old and came with the computer. From my
    > understanding it is vintage 1998 and slow - 2x.
    >
    > Could you please recommend a good CD Rewritable Drive along with software
    > for the bottom drive that is compatable with my computer specs.
    >
    > Somebody had mentioned:
    >
    > SONY CRX 230A CD/RW with Nero and InCD @ $50.00
    >
    > Thoughts?
    >
    > Thanking all in advance.
    > TR

    ---

    HF, Oct 22, 2004

  3. tony ritter

    tony ritter Guest

    "HF" <21.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Read some reviews and consider the LG GSA 4120 which supports almost
    > everything inc DVD RAM. Then you can jettison all that other stuff
    > especially the ancient CDrom.Came top in PC Pro reviews but read some
    > reviews for yourself and make up your own mind.

    -------------------
    Thanks.

    I checked it out at:

    http://www.shopping.com/xPF-LG_GSA_4120BI_12X_SUPER_MULTI_DVD_CDRW

    I'm not sure that it's compatable with my Pentium II @ 350mhz.

    I think I'll need a faster processor to use that drive.

    Any other suggestions to match my current processor would help.

    Many thanks,
    TR

    tony ritter, Oct 22, 2004
  4. tony ritter

    HF Guest

    Dont see there is a problem. It apparently runs like a dream on a 600
    Celeron.Did you read that review on the site you gave.Dont tie your
    processor up when burning --ie. dont have anything else running!!!

    > "HF" <21.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > Read some reviews and consider the LG GSA 4120 which supports almost
    > > everything inc DVD RAM. Then you can jettison all that other stuff
    > > especially the ancient CDrom.Came top in PC Pro reviews but read some
    > > reviews for yourself and make up your own mind.

    > -------------------
    > Thanks.
    >
    > I checked it out at:
    >
    > http://www.shopping.com/xPF-LG_GSA_4120BI_12X_SUPER_MULTI_DVD_CDRW
    >
    > I'm not sure that it's compatable with my Pentium II @ 350mhz.
    >
    > I think I'll need a faster processor to use that drive.
    >
    > Any other suggestions to match my current processor would help.
    >
    > Many thanks,
    > TR

    ---

    HF, Oct 22, 2004
  5. tony ritter

    Jerry G. Guest

    Take a look at the LG drives. They are reasonable in cost, and will
    perform very well. I found from experience to not depend on any of these
    drives to last a very long time, especialy if you do a lot of CD
    writing. Also, the newer ones keep getting faster, and the older ones
    have problems to read CD's burned in by the newer drives.

    I have a number of older computers that I keep running for file storing
    on my network. I have one that is a 200MMX pro, that is about 8 years
    old. It has an LG CD drive in it, and it works very well. If I use it, I
    just make sure that nothing else is running on it.

    I have a friend that has a PII / 350 mHz, and we installed a new LG
    burner in it. It is working very well with it.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    Jerry G., Oct 22, 2004
  6. tony ritter

    tony ritter Guest

    Jerry G. <> wrote in message:

    > Take a look at the LG drives. They are reasonable in cost, and will
    > perform very well. I found from experience to not depend on any of these
    > drives to last a very long time, especialy if you do a lot of CD
    > writing. Also, the newer ones keep getting faster, and the older ones
    > have problems to read CD's burned in by the newer drives.

    > I have a number of older computers that I keep running for file storing
    > on my network. I have one that is a 200MMX pro, that is about 8 years
    > old. It has an LG CD drive in it, and it works very well. If I use it, I
    > just make sure that nothing else is running on it.

    > I have a friend that has a PII / 350 mHz, and we installed a new LG
    > burner in it. It is working very well with it.

    --------------------

    Thank you Jerry.

    If you get a chance, could you please write to me what the exact model
    number of that LG drive is.

    Much obliged.
    TR

    tony ritter, Oct 23, 2004
  7. tony ritter

    WebWalker Guest

    Try LiteOn CD writer. It is good.
    You can get any latest burner for your slow PC but try to slow down the
    burning speed if you keep on creating coaster.

    --
    WebWalker

    WebWalker, Oct 28, 2004