    Dell, and that doesn't seem to be working right either. I suspect I
    may have accidentally deleted a shared .dll file, but I have no idea
    how to go about setting things right. Help!

    Anony Mouse, Oct 22, 2003

  2. Anony Mouse

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On 22 Oct 2003 03:59:31 -0700, (Anony Mouse)
    scribbled:

    >This morning my CD-RW stopped working altogether. I can neither read
    >or write to CDs. The XP device manager claims everything is fine. I
    >have been using the Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 Basic that came with my
    >Dell, and that doesn't seem to be working right either. I suspect I
    >may have accidentally deleted a shared .dll file, but I have no idea
    >how to go about setting things right. Help!

    Try removing the device and rebooting.

    Riddles II, v3
    - T. Pratchett

    -= Hawk =-, Oct 22, 2003

  3. In article <>,
    says...

    >This morning my CD-RW stopped working altogether. I can neither read
    >or write to CDs. The XP device manager claims everything is fine. I
    >have been using the Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 Basic that came with my
    >Dell, and that doesn't seem to be working right either. I suspect I
    >may have accidentally deleted a shared .dll file, but I have no idea
    >how to go about setting things right. Help!

    Could be the drive failed or the laser is dirty. Physically remove the
    drive and take it apart to clean the laser - those cleaning discs aren't
    recommended.

    You could also 'remove' the drive from device manager and reboot and see
    if Windows reinstalls it and gives you access again.

    Another Airnet User, Oct 22, 2003
  4. Anony Mouse

    Shep© Guest

    On 22 Oct 2003 03:59:31 -0700, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    invention that lemmings jump off cliffs
    (Anony Mouse) wrote :

    >This morning my CD-RW stopped working altogether. I can neither read
    >or write to CDs. The XP device manager claims everything is fine. I
    >have been using the Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 Basic that came with my
    >Dell, and that doesn't seem to be working right either. I suspect I
    >may have accidentally deleted a shared .dll file, but I have no idea
    >how to go about setting things right. Help!

    Unless it's hardware failure(What CDR/W make?) use a,"Restore Point"?

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    It's a G not a J in gmx for email

    Shep©, Oct 22, 2003
  5. Anony Mouse

    Jason Chow Guest

    Tried System Restore?

    Jason Chow, Oct 23, 2003
  6. Anony Mouse

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    wrote:

    >This morning my CD-RW stopped working altogether. I can neither read
    >or write to CDs. The XP device manager claims everything is fine. I
    >have been using the Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 Basic that came with my
    >Dell, and that doesn't seem to be working right either. I suspect I
    >may have accidentally deleted a shared .dll file, but I have no idea
    >how to go about setting things right. Help!

    I have had CD writers which detected fine in the BIOS and under
    Windows 9x, but which couldn't read any CD.

    In this case it seems the drive electronics are fine so that's why the
    device is detected OK. Presumably the laser assembly has developed a
    fault.

    If you have access to another suitable PC, move the drive to it and
    see if you can at least read CDs (no drivers required).

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Oct 23, 2003
  7. Anony Mouse

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On 22 Oct 2003 03:59:31 -0700, (Anony Mouse) wrote:

    >This morning my CD-RW stopped working altogether. I can neither read
    >or write to CDs. The XP device manager claims everything is fine. I
    >have been using the Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 Basic that came with my
    >Dell, and that doesn't seem to be working right either. I suspect I
    >may have accidentally deleted a shared .dll file, but I have no idea
    >how to go about setting things right. Help!

    Reinstall or replace with Nero.

    -Barry
    ========
    Voicemail/fax number +14136227640