    hardware problem. Could this be a software issue rather than hardware?

    I'm using the MS drivers suppiled and it's been working OK for about 4
    years.
    MOJO, Dec 2, 2003

  2. MOJO

    Greg M Guest

    Check the, I presume, IDE cable(s). If they pull right out with minimum
    resistance, I'd replace them. I'm sorta convinced I may have had a cd-
    rom damaged because of a sloppy cable. It's a no-name but.... anyway.

    --
    "For me. color was
    daylong obsession, joy,
    Greg M, Dec 2, 2003

  3. Seeing as though you've had it for a fair amount of time, if you use it very
    frequently then there is the possibilty that the drive is due replacement.
    However, it does have to be said that i have had a problem with Windows ME
    where CD Drives just disappear, but i doubt that this is related to your
    problem.
    Good luck,
    Dalgibbard.

    Darren Gibbard, Dec 2, 2003
  4. On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 13:13:43 -0000, "MOJO" <> stated:

    > I'm having a problem with my CD hardware not spinning up to speed at boot
    > up, nor mounting and consequently I'm not able to access it - sometimes I
    > can even eject the CD. The problem is intermittant, but the probvlem seems
    > to be getting more frequent as the days pass.
    >
    > I'm using the MS drivers suppiled and it's been working OK for about 4
    > years.

    Possibilities:

    1 - Case's power supply is going bad and not supplying stable power. This
    can be due to eminent failure situation or simply too much heat. If,
    after 4 years, you've never cleaned the dust-bunnies our of your case,
    you're long overdue. Get a can of compressed air (Staples has some on
    special), open your case and carefully clean the fans, vents, etc.

    2 - At 4 years old, it may be time to replace the drive. 4 years is a good
    long life for a frequently used CDROM drive. (Whatdaya expect from plastic
    gears?)

    3 - Power cable to CDROM is loose. These can be a snug fit and sometimes
    don't get seated properly. Did you recently move or disturb the case?

    HTH

    Mark
    --
    When faced with a problem you do not understand, do any part of
    it you do understand, then look at it again. (Robert Heinlein)
    Dracomark_NOT_REAL_ADDRESS@Yahoo_YIKES.com, Dec 2, 2003
  5. MOJO

    MOJO Guest

    Thanks for your replies, I'll try your suggestions and get bad to you -
    thank you very much.

    What are "dust bunnies". I have a can of compressed air from when I had my
    fan replaced by someone else (it was left over). Where do I squirt
    effectively?

    I have recently added TV Card and Sound Card so I could have disloded
    omething (not recently enough to hav maybe cause my current problem). Ideas?

    It's worked perfectly tonight when I booted up - typical! Would this suggest
    dry joints hardware-wise etc. ?

    MOJO, Dec 3, 2003
  6. On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 02:53:03 -0000, "MOJO" <> stated:

    > What are "dust bunnies". I have a can of compressed air from when I had my
    > fan replaced by someone else (it was left over). Where do I squirt
    > effectively?

    The clods of dust/debris that stick in fans and vents. Keep can vertical,
    spray very short bursts on vents and heat sinks and fans. Beware of
    freezing.

    > I have recently added TV Card and Sound Card so I could have disloded
    > omething (not recently enough to hav maybe cause my current problem). Ideas?
    >
    > It's worked perfectly tonight when I booted up - typical! Would this suggest
    > dry joints hardware-wise etc. ?

    If that's typical, it would suggest that something is robbing your system
    of power. As mentioned before, failing power supply is one possibility.
    Perhaps the new, additional cards pushed your power use and requirements
    beyond what your 4 year old system can reliably supply.

    Check your connections. Remove your tuner card and see if the problem goes
    away. Have someone who knows what they're doing bench test your case's
    power supply.

    > > On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 13:13:43 -0000, "MOJO" <> stated:
    > >
    > > > I'm having a problem with my CD hardware not spinning up to speed at

    > boot
    > > > up, nor mounting and consequently I'm not able to access it - sometimes

    Good luck,

    Mark
    --
    The avalanche has already begun. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
    Dracomark_NOT_REAL_ADDRESS@Yahoo_YIKES.com, Dec 3, 2003
  7. MOJO

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 13:13:43 -0000, "MOJO" <> wrote:

    >I'm having a problem with my CD hardware not spinning up to speed at boot
    >up, nor mounting and consequently I'm not able to access it - sometimes I
    >can even eject the CD. The problem is intermittant, but the probvlem seems
    >to be getting more frequent as the days pass.
    >
    >Any suggestions before I take it to be repaiered as I'm assuming it's a
    >hardware problem. Could this be a software issue rather than hardware?

    Check the power connection.

    >I'm using the MS drivers suppiled and it's been working OK for about 4
    >years.

    -Barry
    ========
    Barry OGrady, Dec 4, 2003