CD-RW drive no longer recognised.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Abrasha, Nov 17, 2003.

  1. Abrasha

    Abrasha Guest

    A weird thing happened.

    While printing I was trying to access some files on a Kodak Photo CD, using
    Irfanview. The program froze, and so did my computer. Nothing to get upset
    about one would think.

    However, I could not get the disk drawer to open by pushing the button, I had to
    eject the disk by using a paper clip. The disk was spinning while I was trying
    to get it out. I was worried the disk was getting scratched, but everything
    seemed OK.

    However, now my computer no longer recognizes the CD-RW drive. It is not
    present in the device manager (Windows 98 SE). As far as the computer is
    concerned, my CD-RW does not exist.

    So I went to the TDK site (it is a TDK Velo CD 32/10/40x drive), and followed a
    lot of their suggestions. Like rebooting in safe mode and removing all the CD
    ROM in the device manager, and then rebooting.

    I did ia few other things that did not work, like calling their tech support. I
    was told to execute Start, Run, sfc. This resulted in finding a system file
    that was damaged, i.e. setupx.dll. I was then told to insert my Windows 98
    installation disk, browse to the WIN98 folder and extract that file. It was not
    there.

    At that point the support person, told me to take my computer apart , start
    switching cables around, etc. Obviously he did not know how to help me. As a
    last resort he told me the old technical support standby, "Contact Microsoft".
    It may very well be that Windows is the culprit, but that doesn't help me any.

    Does anybody have any ideas what may be going on here. Has anyone experienced
    similar problems?

    Thanks in advance.

    Abrasha
    http://www.abrasha.com

    Abrasha, Nov 17, 2003

  2. Abrasha

    Abrasha Guest

    Abrasha wrote:

    > A weird thing happened.
    >
    > While printing I was trying to access some files on a Kodak Photo CD, using
    > Irfanview. The program froze, and so did my computer. Nothing to get upset
    > about one would think.
    >
    > However, I could not get the disk drawer to open by pushing the button, I had to
    > eject the disk by using a paper clip. The disk was spinning while I was trying
    > to get it out. I was worried the disk was getting scratched, but everything
    > seemed OK.
    >
    > However, now my computer no longer recognizes the CD-RW drive. It is not
    > present in the device manager (Windows 98 SE). As far as the computer is
    > concerned, my CD-RW does not exist.
    >
    > So I went to the TDK site (it is a TDK Velo CD 32/10/40x drive), and followed a
    > lot of their suggestions. Like rebooting in safe mode and removing all the CD
    > ROM in the device manager, and then rebooting.
    >
    > I did ia few other things that did not work, like calling their tech support. I
    > was told to execute Start, Run, sfc. This resulted in finding a system file
    > that was damaged, i.e. setupx.dll. I was then told to insert my Windows 98
    > installation disk, browse to the WIN98 folder and extract that file. It was not
    > there.
    >
    > At that point the support person, told me to take my computer apart , start
    > switching cables around, etc. Obviously he did not know how to help me. As a
    > last resort he told me the old technical support standby, "Contact Microsoft".
    > It may very well be that Windows is the culprit, but that doesn't help me any.
    >
    > Does anybody have any ideas what may be going on here. Has anyone experienced
    > similar problems?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Abrasha
    > http://www.abrasha.com

    Oh, BTW, the tech guy, also emailed me a firmware update. But that didn't work
    either, because in oder to update the firmware of the drive, you have to specify
    which drive you would like to update the firmware of, and since the system does
    not recognize the drive, this is not possible.

    Abrasha
    http://www.abrasha.com

    Abrasha, Nov 17, 2003

  3. Abrasha

    Randy Rhine Guest

    I'm no expert...but...I suspect your drive went bonkers. You should see it listed on
    the hardware screen when the PC is first started, before the operating system is
    loaded. If not, then the hardware is not recognizing the drive. The easiest way to
    tell if it's the drive or possbile the IDE interface, is to yank out the drive and put
    another one in (at least they're cheap these days) using the same IDE cable and
    position (master/slave). If it works, then the drive went bonkers. If it doesn't then
    it's probably somewhere in the interface or motherboard...and getting about to the
    extent of my knowledge on the subject. Although if it's the motherboard, those are
    fairly cheap these days as well. But if you can boot up Win98, then I suspect the main
    board is just fine.

    Hope that helps.

    rr

    Randy Rhine, Nov 17, 2003
  4. Abrasha

    Abrasha Guest

    Abrasha, Nov 17, 2003
  5. Abrasha

    Phil Guest

    Unlikely. I've installed it on at least 7 computers with no ill
    effects. It is a pretty benign program.

    In what way is it dead? What have you tried to get it back on line?
    What machine, CD-RW, OS, etc.? What else did you do in the same timeframe?

    Phil

    Phil, Nov 17, 2003
  6. Abrasha

    Phil Guest

    Abrasha wrote:

    >>I did ia few other things that did not work, like calling their tech support. I
    >>was told to execute Start, Run, sfc. This resulted in finding a system file
    >>that was damaged, i.e. setupx.dll. I was then told to insert my Windows 98
    >>installation disk, browse to the WIN98 folder and extract that file. It was not
    >>there.

    it sounds like you still do not have a proper setupx.dll

    I'd get that installed before continuing.

    Phil

    Phil, Nov 17, 2003
  7. Abrasha

    Crownfield Guest

    Abrasha wrote:

    > Is it possible that Irfanview "killed" my CD-RW drive?

    roxios cd creator 5 killed drives when it was installed.
    it did so by damaging the registry.

    roxio swore they knew noting.
    a google search found that lots of other people
    knew about the problem with cd creator 5.
    the drive was no longer recognized.
    try reinstalling your cd driver.

    Crownfield, Nov 17, 2003
  8. Abrasha

    zbzbzb Guest

    >A weird thing happened.
    >
    >While printing I was trying to access some files on a Kodak Photo CD, using
    >Irfanview. The program froze, and so did my computer. Nothing to get upset
    >about one would think.
    >
    >However, I could not get the disk drawer to open by pushing the button, I had
    >eject the disk by using a paper clip. The disk was spinning while I was
    >trying
    >to get it out. I was worried the disk was getting scratched, but everything
    >seemed OK.
    >
    >However, now my computer no longer recognizes the CD-RW drive. It is not
    >present in the device manager (Windows 98 SE). As far as the computer is
    >concerned, my CD-RW does not exist.
    >
    >So I went to the TDK site (it is a TDK Velo CD 32/10/40x drive), and followed
    >lot of their suggestions. Like rebooting in safe mode and removing all the
    >CD
    >ROM in the device manager, and then rebooting.
    >
    >I did ia few other things that did not work, like calling their tech support.
    >was told to execute Start, Run, sfc. This resulted in finding a system file
    >that was damaged, i.e. setupx.dll. I was then told to insert my Windows 98
    >installation disk, browse to the WIN98 folder and extract that file. It was
    >not
    >there.
    >
    >At that point the support person, told me to take my computer apart , start
    >switching cables around, etc. Obviously he did not know how to help me. As
    >last resort he told me the old technical support standby, "Contact
    >Microsoft".
    >It may very well be that Windows is the culprit, but that doesn't help me
    >any.
    >
    >Does anybody have any ideas what may be going on here. Has anyone
    >experienced
    >similar problems?
    >
    >Thanks in advance.
    >
    >Abrasha
    >http://www.abrasha.com

    Abrasha just go buy another CD writer. If you are in the US you can get 52x
    writers fro $20 at any Best Buy or similar stores. You probably damaged the
    writer. If something like that happens again do not try and extract a CD while
    the computer is still on and the CD door will not open. Turn off the computer
    first. Worse case scenario just unplug it if you are having problems either
    restarting or turning it off. Connect the new cd writer in the same position as
    the old one. Ground yourself often by touching a bare metal area inside the PC
    as you are working. Good luck.

    zbzbzb, Nov 17, 2003
  9. Abrasha

    Abrasha Guest

    Phil wrote:

    > Abrasha wrote:
    >
    > >>I did ia few other things that did not work, like calling their tech support. I
    > >>was told to execute Start, Run, sfc. This resulted in finding a system file
    > >>that was damaged, i.e. setupx.dll. I was then told to insert my Windows 98
    > >>installation disk, browse to the WIN98 folder and extract that file. It was not
    > >>there.
    > >>

    > it sounds like you still do not have a proper setupx.dll
    >
    > I'd get that installed before continuing.
    >
    > Phil

    I would like to, but where do I get that file, if it is not on my original WIN(*
    install disk?

    I know I need to get it before continuing, I just don't know how.

    Abrasha
    http://www.abrasha.com

    Abrasha, Nov 17, 2003
  10. Abrasha

    zbzbzb Guest

    >roxios cd creator 5 killed drives when it was installed.
    >it did so by damaging the registry.
    >
    >roxio swore they knew noting.
    >a google search found that lots of other people
    >knew about the problem with cd creator 5.
    >the drive was no longer recognized.
    >try reinstalling your cd driver.

    CD driver??

    zbzbzb, Nov 17, 2003
  11. Abrasha

    Abrasha Guest

    Phil wrote:

    > Unlikely. I've installed it on at least 7 computers with no ill
    > effects. It is a pretty benign program.
    >
    > In what way is it dead?

    It does nothing, it's lights do not blink at boot up. I cannot open or close
    the drawer. Other than with a paper clip. The drive does not show up in the
    "My Computer" folder. As far as the OS is concerned it does not exist. It does
    not show up in the "Device Manager".

    > What have you tried to get it back on line?

    As per TDK instructions on their web site, I have rebooted in safe mode, removed
    ALL CD-ROM devices in the device manager, and rebooted. It does not show up
    after reboot. My DVD ROM drive does.

    I have run a program called "sfc", which discovered the damaged "setupx.dll"
    file and tried to replace it from a disk that does not seem to have it, even
    though the support guy at TDK says, it is supposed to have it.

    > What machine, CD-RW, OS, etc.?

    What do you mean with these questions?

    What else did you do in the same timeframe?

    What do you mean?

    Abrasha
    http://www.abrasha.com

    Abrasha, Nov 17, 2003
  12. Abrasha

    Abrasha Guest

    Crownfield wrote:

    > Abrasha wrote:
    > >
    > > Is it possible that Irfanview "killed" my CD-RW drive?

    > roxios cd creator 5 killed drives when it was installed.
    > it did so by damaging the registry.
    >
    > roxio swore they knew noting.
    > a google search found that lots of other people
    > knew about the problem with cd creator 5.
    > the drive was no longer recognized.
    > try reinstalling your cd driver.

    There is no such thing as a driver supplied by the cd manufacturer. That's what
    the support guy at TDK told me. They use a driver that is supplied by Windows

    Most, if not all CD-RW drives do the same thing.

    Abrasha
    http://www.abrasha.com

    Abrasha, Nov 17, 2003
  13. Abrasha

    zbzbzb Guest

    zbzbzb, Nov 17, 2003
  14. Abrasha

    zbzbzb Guest

    >I have run a program called "sfc", which discovered the damaged "setupx.dll"
    >file and tried to replace it from a disk that does not seem to have it, even
    >though the support guy at TDK says, it is supposed to have it.

    That Microsoft utility often shows erroneous information. That is known. It is
    a lousy utility.

    Still to be sure just download it from here:

    http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?setupx

    zbzbzb, Nov 17, 2003
  15. Abrasha

    Abrasha Guest

    zbzbzb wrote:

    > >I have run a program called "sfc", which discovered the damaged "setupx.dll"
    > >file and tried to replace it from a disk that does not seem to have it, even
    > >though the support guy at TDK says, it is supposed to have it.
    > >

    > That Microsoft utility often shows erroneous information. That is known. It is
    > a lousy utility.
    >
    > Still to be sure just download it from here:
    >
    > http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?setupx

    I went to the Knowledge base on the Microsoft site and under windows 98 typed in
    setupx.dll. I received accurate instructions on how to extract the file from my
    win98 setup disk and accurately install it. And yes, it also says there, that
    the System File Checker (sfc) is not always accurate, and reports wrong things.
    However, after I extracted the file from the ssetup disk and installed it, I no
    longer get a report that the setupx.dll file is corrupted as before, so
    something changed.

    After an another couple of reboots in safe mode and regular mode. The OS still
    does not see the drive. It looks like it's dead. AFAICT at least
    --
    Abrasha
    http://www.abrasha.com

    --
    Abrasha
    http://www.abrasha.com

    Abrasha, Nov 17, 2003
  16. Abrasha

    Abrasha Guest

    Re: CD-RW drive no longer recognized.

    I fixed it! I'm too tired to write what I did. Most of it does not make sense,
    but who cares. It works again.

    It's 1:35 AM. I'm going to bed.

    I'm going to buy a G5! Wishfull thinking, I'm afraid.

    Abrasha
    http://www.abrasha.com

    Abrasha, Nov 17, 2003
  17. Abrasha

    Mike Guest

    I believe the CD drive drawer should open with the button -as long as it has
    power.
    No drivers or O/S needed just to open the door.

    Try swapping power cables (the smaller one) with a spare or another device.
    If that doesn't work, the drive itself is probably defective.

    Mike

    Mike, Nov 17, 2003
  18. Abrasha

    Abrasha Guest

    Mike wrote:

    > I believe the CD drive drawer should open with the button -as long as it has
    > power.
    > No drivers or O/S needed just to open the door.

    Not true. OS is indeed needed, because if the OS does not think that the drive
    is there, power to it, makes no difference.

    Abrasha
    http://www.abrasha.com

    Abrasha, Nov 17, 2003
  19. Abrasha

    Phil Guest

    My recent experience along these lines:

    "Tonight my CD-RW/DVD drive disappeared in My Computer and Device
    Manager after a reboot.

    After beating on it for a couple of hours (I'm pretty good at this,
    usually), I gave up and called Averatec Tech Support (which is there 24/7).

    The support guy (Tom) said to:

    o Shut down the computer
    o Unplug the AC adapter
    o Remove the battery
    o Wait 5 minutes

    He stayed on the line while I did all this.

    Then I plugged in the computer and restarted it, without the battery
    installed. Voila: I now have my drive again (tested by playing a movie).

    His explanation was in terms of temporary files which can obstruct
    things and go away when power is removed for a while. Whatever.

    Hats off to Averatec for being there at midnight and working me through
    this quickly and successfully."

    Quoted from a message to a friend with the same machine.

    Phil

    Phil, Nov 17, 2003
  20. Abrasha

    Phil Guest

    Did you get my private msg on my experiences with this problem last
    night, Abrasha? If not,I will resend it.

    Phil

    Phil, Nov 17, 2003