    Any recommendations for a CD Burner that is efficient and not going to cost
    me the earth??

    Eddie

    Eddie, Feb 22, 2006

  2. Eddie

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 16:03:59 +0000 (UTC), "Eddie"
    <> wrote:

    >Any recommendations for a CD Burner that is efficient and not going to cost
    >me the earth??
    >
    >Eddie

    Are you kidding?
    CD burners are commodity items. Like toasters.
    Buy one with a good name (Plextor, TDK, Sony, BenQ...) and enjoy it.
    If it costs over $50 (including shipping), you paid too much.

    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Feb 22, 2006

  3. Newegg.com has a Sony DVD burner for $56 on one-day sale. You will get lots
    more back-up power with this than you will with CDs....but it burns them too
    if you need to. For that amount you won't get much of the world....you
    could get a bed in a motel for a night though.

    --
    Thanks,
    Gene Palmiter

    Gene Palmiter, Feb 22, 2006
  4. Eddie

    No Thanks Guest

    "Eddie" <> wrote in message
    > Any recommendations for a CD Burner that is efficient and not going to
    > cost me the earth??

    You would be as well with a DVD rw.
    CDrw is from £6.99 plus vat etc from www.ebuyer.co.uk
    DVDrw is from £22.99 from the same place

    No Thanks, Feb 22, 2006
  5. Eddie

    Crash Gordon Guest

    I got a MadDog 6in1 burns double layer DVDs too...for like 69 bucks and that
    was 6+ months ago - got it at tigerdirect.com I think it even had a 10 buck
    rebate.

    Crash Gordon, Feb 22, 2006
  6. ....and Newegg.com has a NEC DVD burner for $39. You get the idea that CD
    burners are not that special these days?

    --
    Thanks,
    Gene Palmiter

    Gene Palmiter, Feb 22, 2006
  7. Eddie

    No Thanks Guest

    Buying from the US would probably triple the price for him.
    Judging by the OP's email address, I'd guess he is in the UK.

    No Thanks, Feb 22, 2006
  8. Good point....and we cannot be sure that he can get the variety we get or
    that competition drives prices down. It holds though that CDs are out and
    DVD is in. If buying now I would buy double density DVD...but as I have DVD
    now I will wait to upgrade until I can get something with a blue laser....a
    couple of years at most.

    --
    Thanks,
    Gene Palmiter

    Gene Palmiter, Feb 22, 2006
  9. Eddie

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    Have a look at www.dabs.co.uk
    --
    Neil
    Delete l to reply

    Neil Ellwood, Feb 22, 2006
  10. Eddie

    Matth Guest

    On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 16:15:23 -0000, "No Thanks" <go@away> wrote:

    >"Eddie" <> wrote in message
    >> Any recommendations for a CD Burner that is efficient and not going to
    >> cost me the earth??

    >You would be as well with a DVD rw.
    >CDrw is from £6.99 plus vat etc from www.ebuyer.co.uk
    >DVDrw is from £22.99 from the same place

    Not quite - The CD-RW's are lumped in with CD-ROM, so the cheapest is
    actually

    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?product_uid=90459
    £14.50 inc VAT

    Not really a lot to choose between CD-RW drives, few tech sites bother
    to test them any more.

    --
    I may be dozzzy, but take the ZZZ's out to mail me
    http://www.junkroom.freeserve.co.uk/jvc2080.htm - 2x2x24 CD-RW troubles

    If you drop a cactus, don't try to catch it!

    Matth, Feb 22, 2006
  11. Eddie

    Guest

    On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 16:03:59 +0000 (UTC), "Eddie" <> wrote:

    > Any recommendations for a CD Burner that is efficient and not going to cost
    > me the earth??

    Does anyone still make CDRW drives?

    , Feb 22, 2006
  12. Eddie

    piperut Guest

    Neil Ellwood wrote:
    > On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 16:03:59 +0000, Eddie wrote:
    >
    > > Any recommendations for a CD Burner that is efficient and not going to cost
    > > me the earth??
    > >
    > > Eddie

    > Have a look at www.dabs.co.uk
    > --
    > Neil
    > Delete l to reply

    I while back I needed a DVD burner for computer I was rebuilding.
    I found one under the LG brand at Sams Club that was a double layer
    burner, and would work on anything more then a 800mz computer, and it
    did all three formats, +/- and the strange panasonic format.

    However, about a month later I wanted another one, and went back and
    they didn't have it.

    I think I paid around $70 U.S. for it.

    roland

    piperut, Feb 22, 2006
  13. Eddie

    JohnR66 Guest

    You can get a good Dual layer DVD/CD burner for $50. Lite-On is a brand that
    OEMs for many companies, like Sony. I put them in the computers I build for
    my employer. They work fine.
    John

    JohnR66, Feb 22, 2006
  14. Eddie

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 20:48:59 GMT, wrote:

    >On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 16:03:59 +0000 (UTC), "Eddie" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Any recommendations for a CD Burner that is efficient and not going to cost
    >> me the earth??

    >Does anyone still make CDRW drives?

    Yes they do.
    Despite the recent dust-up over suggestions to use Google, such a
    suggestion is valid in this case.

    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"