    estimate as to how many. Any input is welcome.

    Thank You,

    Wayne R. Russ
    Wayne R. Russ, Feb 1, 2004

  2. Wayne R. Russ

    Tom Dyer Guest

    I've done the same but weekly and mine only lasted a couple of months.
    Kinda annoying when I went to use one to get prints from my digicam.

    --
    ________________________________
    Tom Dyer BEng

    Cheap, high performance, custom built
    computers, software, upgrades and
    informative articles.
    www.mt-pc.co.uk

    Tom Dyer, Feb 1, 2004

  3. Wayne R. Russ

    bambam Guest

    On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 09:51:12 -0500, Wayne R. Russ wrote:

    > Hello Everyone,
    >
    > I use alternating sets of CD-RW disks to do mirror image backups of my
    > hard drive each month. Would you suggest how many times you would use the
    > disks before you would become leery that they could be unreliable. I know
    > that they can be used quite a few times, but I have never heard a good
    > estimate as to how many. Any input is welcome.

    From the cdr-faq

    http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq02.html#S2-12

    <quote>

    CD-RW media is more expensive than CD-R, but recent price reductions have
    narrowed the gap considerably. There is a limit to the number of times an
    area of the disc can be rewritten, but that number is relatively high (the
    Orange Book requires 1000, but some manufacturers have claimed as much as
    100,000). Of course, this is under laboratory conditions. If you don't
    handle the disc carefully, you will add scratches, dirt, fingerprints, and
    other obstacles that make the disc harder for the drive to read.

    <quote>

    I have heard that 50-100 writes could be more accurate.
    So, as each of your disk sets are only doing 6 writes per year I would say
    you should be OK until it´s time to get a DVD Writer. ;o)
    Just to be on the safe side you could make an occasional image to *CDR*
    and send them to a friend for safe keeping.
    A couple more related links-

    http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq07.html#S7-5

    http://www.mrichter.com/cdr/primer/durable.htm

    http://www.mrichter.com/cdr/primer/lifetime.htm
    bambam, Feb 2, 2004
  4. Wayne R. Russ

    Mike Lee Guest

    So if that were the case, how can someone determine the CD-RW is no good
    before losing data?

    Does disk fail the write immediately or would it fail to read after a few
    months?

    Mike

    Mike Lee, Feb 2, 2004
  5. Wayne R. Russ

    Thor Guest

    "Mike Lee" <> wrote in message
    > So if that were the case, how can someone determine the CD-RW is no good
    > before losing data?
    >
    > Does disk fail the write immediately or would it fail to read after a few
    > months?

    It can burn successfully, then be unreadable when you try and use it to
    recover files. It's difficult to predict. All I can recommend is buy quality
    media, and keep it well protected, scratch-free, and in a cool, dark place.
    If you do all of this, you should have good luck with it. If you treat them
    like any other CD, you are in for trouble. Always use a data verify pass for
    backups to verify that it is at least readable when you burn it. It also
    helps to pop the disc into another machine or drive to verify that something
    other than the burner can read the disc.
    Thor, Feb 3, 2004