    ones, which I should buy, and what are the worst ones, which I should avoid?
    What about ones produced by Mitsui or Taiyo Yuden or ones made in Taiwan?

    Thanks.

    XYZ XYZee, May 7, 2004

  2. XYZ XYZee

    S.Heenan Guest

    XYZ XYZee wrote:
    > I have some knowledge about CD-R's, such as the belief that the best
    > ones are probably produced by Mitsui and Taiyo Yuden and the worst
    > ones are probably made in Taiwan, but I know just about nothing about
    > CD-RW's, and might need to buy some soon. So can anybody please give
    > me some basic advice about CD-RW's? I would really appreciate it.
    >
    > For example, are CD-RW's generally reliable and dependable? What are
    > the best ones, which I should buy, and what are the worst ones, which
    > I should avoid? What about ones produced by Mitsui or Taiyo Yuden or
    > ones made in Taiwan?

    http://www.cdfreaks.com/ is a good place to start.

    In general, if you stick to well known brand names, you shouldn't have any
    problems. TDK, Memorex, Fuji, and Maxell are a few of the better brands. I
    use the CD-RW for short term storage of non-vital data. If the data is
    somehow corrupted (usually by something I did), no great loss. If you plan
    to make long term backups, use a good CD-R. Don't try to overburn and don't
    record at the rated speed, ie if the CD-R is rated for 48x, use the next
    lowest setting. Same for a CD-RW.

    S.Heenan, May 8, 2004

  3. XYZ XYZee

    IAN GARDNER Guest

    "XYZ XYZee" <> wrote in message
    > I have some knowledge about CD-R's, such as the belief that the best ones

    are
    > probably produced by Mitsui and Taiyo Yuden and the worst ones are

    probably
    > made in Taiwan, but I know just about nothing about CD-RW's, and might

    need to
    > buy some soon. So can anybody please give me some basic advice about

    CD-RW's?
    > I would really appreciate it.
    >
    > For example, are CD-RW's generally reliable and dependable? What are the

    best
    > ones, which I should buy, and what are the worst ones, which I should

    avoid?
    > What about ones produced by Mitsui or Taiyo Yuden or ones made in Taiwan?
    >
    > Thanks.

    I cannot help but since I upgraded to XP it will not read my CD-RW`s. I use
    Nero 5.5 and it`s not compatable with XP. Nero 6 is but I would have to buy
    this!

    --
    IAN. P. GARDNER
    ISLE OF WIGHT

    IAN GARDNER, May 8, 2004
  4. XYZ XYZee

    Michael-NC Guest

    Personally, I had great success with TDK silver CDRs.

    Michael-NC, May 8, 2004
  5. XYZ XYZee

    bambam Guest

    "IAN GARDNER" <> wrote in

    > I cannot help but since I upgraded to XP it will not read my
    > CD-RW`s. I use Nero 5.5 and it`s not compatable with XP. Nero 6 is
    > but I would have to buy this!

    Hi Ian, there are plenty of good freeware CD burning programs around
    these days that will work with XP, here are a few-

    DeepBurner

    http://www.deepburner.com/

    Burnatonce

    http://www.burnatonce.com/

    CDBurnerXP

    http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

    A few more at this link, scroll down to 5.20-

    http://www.pricelessware.org/2004/programs/P_SYSTEMUTILITIES.php

    Hope this is some help. :)

    --
    If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything.

    bambam, May 9, 2004
  6. XYZ XYZee

    Thor Guest

    "IAN GARDNER" <> wrote in message

    > "XYZ XYZee" <> wrote in message
    > > I have some knowledge about CD-R's, such as the belief that the best

    ones
    > are
    > > probably produced by Mitsui and Taiyo Yuden and the worst ones are

    > probably
    > > made in Taiwan, but I know just about nothing about CD-RW's, and might

    > need to
    > > buy some soon. So can anybody please give me some basic advice about

    > CD-RW's?
    > > I would really appreciate it.
    > >
    > > For example, are CD-RW's generally reliable and dependable? What are

    the
    > best
    > > ones, which I should buy, and what are the worst ones, which I should

    > avoid?
    > > What about ones produced by Mitsui or Taiyo Yuden or ones made in

    Taiwan?

    > > Thanks.

    > I cannot help but since I upgraded to XP it will not read my CD-RW`s. I

    use
    > Nero 5.5 and it`s not compatable with XP. Nero 6 is but I would have to

    buy
    > this!

    Nero 5.5.10 and higher is compatible with XP.

    Thor, May 9, 2004
  7. XYZ XYZee

    S.Heenan Guest

    IAN GARDNER wrote:

    > I cannot help but since I upgraded to XP it will not read my CD-RW`s.
    > I use Nero 5.5 and it`s not compatable with XP. Nero 6 is but I would
    > have to buy this!

    Free update from Nero, at the top of the page, version 5.5.10.56
    http://nero.com/us/631933457317970.html

    S.Heenan, May 9, 2004
  8. XYZ XYZee

    TINY Guest

    I have Nero 5.0 with updates on my computer with XP home and I have no
    problems with it.

    TINY, May 13, 2004
  9. XYZ XYZee

    Allen_L Guest

    > "XYZ XYZee" <> wrote in message
    >> I have some knowledge about CD-R's, such as the belief that the best
    >> ones are probably produced by Mitsui and Taiyo Yuden and the worst
    >> ones are probably made in Taiwan, but I know just about nothing
    >> about CD-RW's, and might need to buy some soon. So can anybody
    >> please give me some basic advice about CD-RW's? I would really
    >> appreciate it.
    >>
    >> For example, are CD-RW's generally reliable and dependable? What
    >> are the best ones, which I should buy, and what are the worst ones,
    >> which I should avoid? What about ones produced by Mitsui or Taiyo
    >> Yuden or ones made in Taiwan?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > In news:c7l0oc$vne$,

    IAN GARDNER <> typed:
    > I cannot help but since I upgraded to XP it will not read my CD-RW`s.
    > I use Nero 5.5 and it`s not compatable with XP. Nero 6 is but I would
    > have to buy this!

    I use Nero version 5.xxx and Windows XP Pro and have *never* had a problem
    with it...if fact I don't ever remember anyone having a problem with the 5's
    version of Nero on any version of Windows. Version 6 of Nero is basically
    the same as 5 except for DVD burning.

    ....Allen

    Allen_L, May 15, 2004
  10. XYZ XYZee

    Allen_L Guest

    >> "XYZ XYZee" <> wrote in message
    >>> I have some knowledge about CD-R's, such as the belief that the best
    >>> ones are probably produced by Mitsui and Taiyo Yuden and the worst
    >>> ones are probably made in Taiwan, but I know just about nothing
    >>> about CD-RW's, and might need to buy some soon. So can anybody
    >>> please give me some basic advice about CD-RW's? I would really
    >>> appreciate it.
    >>>
    >>> For example, are CD-RW's generally reliable and dependable? What
    >>> are the best ones, which I should buy, and what are the worst ones,
    >>> which I should avoid? What about ones produced by Mitsui or Taiyo
    >>> Yuden or ones made in Taiwan?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.

    >> In news:c7l0oc$vne$,

    > IAN GARDNER <> typed:
    >> I cannot help but since I upgraded to XP it will not read my CD-RW`s.
    >> I use Nero 5.5 and it`s not compatable with XP. Nero 6 is but I would
    >> have to buy this!

    In news:Eerpc.102262$,
    Allen_L <> typed:

    > I use Nero version 5.xxx and Windows XP Pro and have *never* had a
    > problem with it...if fact I don't ever remember anyone having a
    > problem with the 5's version of Nero on any version of Windows.
    > Version 6 of Nero is basically the same as 5 except for DVD burning.
    >
    > ...Allen

    I should state that I do run the updated versions, even when I have Win98
    2nd, before XP...don't ever remember running anything less than 5.5.15 or
    so...am running the latest available on Nero's page at the time and I
    believe it is way up in the 50's for the last digits now. Back when Nero was
    in the early 5.5's they would update about every month or less.

    ....Allen

    Allen_L, May 15, 2004
  11. XYZ XYZee

    Guest

    On Sat, 15 May 2004 16:07:00 GMT, "Allen_L" <>
    spewed forth:
    >> In news:c7l0oc$vne$,

    >IAN GARDNER <> typed:
    >> I cannot help but since I upgraded to XP it will not read my CD-RW`s.
    >> I use Nero 5.5 and it`s not compatable with XP. Nero 6 is but I would
    >> have to buy this!

    >I use Nero version 5.xxx and Windows XP Pro and have *never* had a problem
    >with it...if fact I don't ever remember anyone having a problem with the 5's
    >version of Nero on any version of Windows. Version 6 of Nero is basically
    >the same as 5 except for DVD burning.
    >
    >...Allen

    It's probably not nero, I can imagine.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;294883

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316529&Product=winxp
    --
    Mark

    Otherwise known as
    ------------
    Cablenetguy

    , May 16, 2004
  12. XYZ XYZee

    IAN GARDNER Guest

    "TINY" <> wrote in message
    > I have Nero 5.0 with updates on my computer with XP home and I have no
    > problems with it.
    > "IAN GARDNER" <> wrote in message
    > >

    > > "S.Heenan" <> wrote in message

    CD-RW`s.

    would

    > > > Free update from Nero, at the top of the page, version 5.5.10.56
    > > > http://nero.com/us/631933457317970.html
    > > >

    > > Many thanks! Even better! I`ll take a look.

    Thanks Tiny!

    IAN GARDNER, May 16, 2004
  13. XYZ XYZee

    IAN GARDNER Guest

    "Allen_L" <> wrote in message
    > >> "XYZ XYZee" <> wrote in message

    > >> In news:c7l0oc$vne$,

    > > IAN GARDNER <> typed:
    > >> I cannot help but since I upgraded to XP it will not read my CD-RW`s.
    > >> I use Nero 5.5 and it`s not compatable with XP. Nero 6 is but I would
    > >> have to buy this!

    > In news:Eerpc.102262$,
    > Allen_L <> typed:
    >
    > > I use Nero version 5.xxx and Windows XP Pro and have *never* had a
    > > problem with it...if fact I don't ever remember anyone having a
    > > problem with the 5's version of Nero on any version of Windows.
    > > Version 6 of Nero is basically the same as 5 except for DVD burning.
    > >
    > > ...Allen

    > I should state that I do run the updated versions, even when I have Win98
    > 2nd, before XP...don't ever remember running anything less than 5.5.15 or
    > so...am running the latest available on Nero's page at the time and I
    > believe it is way up in the 50's for the last digits now. Back when Nero

    was
    > in the early 5.5's they would update about every month or less.
    >
    > ...Allen

    Ok done. I can see my files but they won`t run! Some are WMP files and when
    I double-click on them, nothing happens.
    If I open the disc using WMP it says the file is corrupt! The files are on
    a CD-RW disc TDK.

    IAN GARDNER, May 16, 2004
  14. XYZ XYZee

    Allen_L Guest

    In news:c8862e$1g7$,
    IAN GARDNER <> typed:

    > Ok done. I can see my files but they won`t run! Some are WMP files
    > and when I double-click on them, nothing happens.
    > If I open the disc using WMP it says the file is corrupt! The files
    > are on a CD-RW disc TDK.

    If the CD-RW's were prepared with packet writing such as InCD (Nero),
    there's a good possibility that you can't recover the files. Do you have
    InCD installed now? You'll need a 'packet reader' like this on the computer
    to read the disk, if it is prepared with packet writing (which I think
    *stinks*). If you can see the files, transfer them to your hard drive and
    run from there, not from the CD...if I'm understanding your post, are you
    trying to access the files while they are still on the CDRW?

    I use CDRW's, but only use them exactly like I use a regular CDR and do not
    format them and never use 'packet writing' or drag and drop as it's
    sometimes called. I've never had a problem using them fresh out of the box
    and then just burning a multi-session CD just as if the disk was a regular
    CDR...files have always been there later, and I've saved some for a long
    time. After the disks get full, I erase them and start over. Supposedly they
    are good for 1000 re-writes and erases, but I don't believe that...but who
    knows. I've had nothing but bad things happen with the packet writing
    programs...disk suddenly just is dead as can be, and can't be read, except
    with maybe ISO Buster or Alcohol 120% programs, if your lucky.

    ....Allen

    Allen_L, May 18, 2004
  15. XYZ XYZee

    IAN GARDNER Guest

    "Allen_L" <> wrote in message

    > In news:c8862e$1g7$,
    > IAN GARDNER <> typed:
    >
    > > Ok done. I can see my files but they won`t run! Some are WMP files
    > > and when I double-click on them, nothing happens.
    > > If I open the disc using WMP it says the file is corrupt! The files
    > > are on a CD-RW disc TDK.

    > If the CD-RW's were prepared with packet writing such as InCD (Nero),
    > there's a good possibility that you can't recover the files. Do you have
    > InCD installed now? You'll need a 'packet reader' like this on the

    computer
    > to read the disk, if it is prepared with packet writing (which I think
    > *stinks*). If you can see the files, transfer them to your hard drive and
    > run from there, not from the CD...if I'm understanding your post, are you
    > trying to access the files while they are still on the CDRW?

    You are correct. I use INCD and it worked with Win98. It does not work with
    XP. Packet writting is ok and good and I have family photos and tv themes on
    them. I would like to get the packet writting working again.

    > I use CDRW's, but only use them exactly like I use a regular CDR and do

    not
    > format them and never use 'packet writing' or drag and drop as it's
    > sometimes called. I've never had a problem using them fresh out of the box
    > and then just burning a multi-session CD just as if the disk was a regular
    > CDR...files have always been there later, and I've saved some for a long
    > time. After the disks get full, I erase them and start over. Supposedly

    they
    > are good for 1000 re-writes and erases, but I don't believe that...but who
    > knows. I've had nothing but bad things happen with the packet writing
    > programs...disk suddenly just is dead as can be, and can't be read, except
    > with maybe ISO Buster or Alcohol 120% programs, if your lucky.

    Thanks for your advice. I can burn CD`R etc ok. But not packet write to
    CD-RW`s. i would like this to work again.

    IAN GARDNER, May 21, 2004
  16. XYZ XYZee

    bearman Guest

    > "Allen_L" <> wrote in message

    > > In news:c8862e$1g7$,
    > > IAN GARDNER <> typed:
    > >
    > > > Ok done. I can see my files but they won`t run! Some are WMP files
    > > > and when I double-click on them, nothing happens.
    > > > If I open the disc using WMP it says the file is corrupt! The files
    > > > are on a CD-RW disc TDK.

    > > If the CD-RW's were prepared with packet writing such as InCD (Nero),
    > > there's a good possibility that you can't recover the files. Do you have
    > > InCD installed now? You'll need a 'packet reader' like this on the

    > computer
    > > to read the disk, if it is prepared with packet writing (which I think
    > > *stinks*). If you can see the files, transfer them to your hard drive

    and
    > > run from there, not from the CD...if I'm understanding your post, are

    you
    > > trying to access the files while they are still on the CDRW?

    > You are correct. I use INCD and it worked with Win98. It does not work

    with
    > XP. Packet writting is ok and good and I have family photos and tv themes

    on
    > them. I would like to get the packet writting working again.
    >
    > > I use CDRW's, but only use them exactly like I use a regular CDR and do

    > not
    > > format them and never use 'packet writing' or drag and drop as it's
    > > sometimes called. I've never had a problem using them fresh out of the

    box
    > > and then just burning a multi-session CD just as if the disk was a

    regular
    > > CDR...files have always been there later, and I've saved some for a long
    > > time. After the disks get full, I erase them and start over. Supposedly

    > they
    > > are good for 1000 re-writes and erases, but I don't believe that...but

    who
    > > knows. I've had nothing but bad things happen with the packet writing
    > > programs...disk suddenly just is dead as can be, and can't be read,

    except
    > > with maybe ISO Buster or Alcohol 120% programs, if your lucky.

    > Thanks for your advice. I can burn CD`R etc ok. But not packet write to
    > CD-RW`s. i would like this to work again.
    >
    > --
    > IAN. P. GARDNER
    > ISLE OF WIGHT
    > www.gardner44.freeserve.co.uk

    Can you tell me how you erase your CD-RWs? I'm using Nero and made a
    multi-session CD-RW with just two files. When I tried to delete them, XP
    said that it was a CD-ROM and couldn't delete files.

    Bearman

    bearman, May 23, 2004
  17. XYZ XYZee

    Thor Guest

    Quite simply, click through the menus, and you should find an "erase
    rewritable" option if you have a CDRW in the drive. In Nero 6, it's under
    the "recorder" menu. You'll have two choices once you invoke the erase
    wizard. Quick erase, and full erase. Quick erase is fine day-to-day, but
    occasionally, a full erase is a good thing. Quick erase just wipes out the
    table of contents and other minor files that tell the system that there is
    data on the disc, but the data is still there until overwritten. Full erase
    wipes out all the data, and can fix some write problems with a disc that has
    been written to several times already, and is refusing to take files
    properly, or cannot be read in other drives properly after files are written
    to it.

    Thor, May 23, 2004
  18. XYZ XYZee

    bearman Guest

    Thank you very much. I really need to study Nero a lot more.

    Bearman

    bearman, May 23, 2004
  19. XYZ XYZee

    IAN GARDNER Guest

    "bearman" <> wrote in message

    > "IAN GARDNER" <> wrote in message
    > >

    > > "Allen_L" <> wrote in message

    the

    What

    or

    > > > In news:c8862e$1g7$,
    > > > IAN GARDNER <> typed:

    > > > If the CD-RW's were prepared with packet writing such as InCD (Nero),
    > > > there's a good possibility that you can't recover the files. Do you

    have
    > > > InCD installed now? You'll need a 'packet reader' like this on the

    > > computer
    > > > to read the disk, if it is prepared with packet writing (which I think
    > > > *stinks*). If you can see the files, transfer them to your hard drive

    > and
    > > > run from there, not from the CD...if I'm understanding your post, are

    > you
    > > > trying to access the files while they are still on the CDRW?

    > > You are correct. I use INCD and it worked with Win98. It does not work

    > with
    > > XP. Packet writting is ok and good and I have family photos and tv

    themes
    > on
    > > them. I would like to get the packet writting working again.
    > >
    > > > I use CDRW's, but only use them exactly like I use a regular CDR and

    do
    > > not
    > > > format them and never use 'packet writing' or drag and drop as it's
    > > > sometimes called. I've never had a problem using them fresh out of the

    > box
    > > > and then just burning a multi-session CD just as if the disk was a

    > regular
    > > > CDR...files have always been there later, and I've saved some for a

    long
    > > > time. After the disks get full, I erase them and start over.

    Supposedly
    > > they
    > > > are good for 1000 re-writes and erases, but I don't believe that...but

    > who
    > > > knows. I've had nothing but bad things happen with the packet writing
    > > > programs...disk suddenly just is dead as can be, and can't be read,

    > except
    > > > with maybe ISO Buster or Alcohol 120% programs, if your lucky.

    > > Thanks for your advice. I can burn CD`R etc ok. But not packet write to
    > > CD-RW`s. i would like this to work again.
    > >
    > > --
    > > IAN. P. GARDNER
    > > ISLE OF WIGHT
    > > www.gardner44.freeserve.co.uk
    > >

    > Can you tell me how you erase your CD-RWs? I'm using Nero and made a
    > multi-session CD-RW with just two files. When I tried to delete them, XP
    > said that it was a CD-ROM and couldn't delete files.

    I havn`t yet!!! But I do see that in XP in the top left hand corner there is
    the words. Do you want to erase this CD-RW. I want to be able to use it
    first!!!

    IAN GARDNER, May 24, 2004
  20. XYZ XYZee

    IAN GARDNER Guest

    > "TINY" <> wrote in message
    > > I have Nero 5.0 with updates on my computer with XP home and I have no
    > > problems with it.
    > > "IAN GARDNER" <> wrote in message
    > > >

    > > > "S.Heenan" <> wrote in message

    Has anyone else got any way of ideas?