    I have right clicked on the D: drive CD icon to check properties and all
    seems OK. Selecting "eject" in the properties does not help.

    Any ideas?

    fruitbat, May 5, 2004

  2. fruitbat

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "fruitbat" <> wrote in news:4098c349$0$16597$5a62ac22
    @freenews.iinet.net.au:

    > My new second hand computer has a CD ROM marked 52X and installs as an
    > ATAPI.
    > The computer and the CD work fine, but the CD ROM occasionally refuses to
    > open. even if I insert a straightened paper clip into the little hole.
    > Sometimes it opens up fine.
    > Switching the PC off then on sometimes cures the problem.
    > I have right clicked on the D: drive CD icon to check properties and all
    > seems OK. Selecting "eject" in the properties does not help.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    The drive mechanics are starting to fail.

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk

    DeMoN LaG, May 5, 2004

  3. fruitbat

    Jerry G. Guest

    The drive is starting to mechanically fail. It is time to put in a new
    drive.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

    Jerry G., May 5, 2004
  4. fruitbat

    Thor Guest

    I see this happen with cheap drives all the time. Time to replace it.

    Thor, May 5, 2004
  5. fruitbat

    Plato Guest

    fruitbat wrote:

    > My new second hand computer has a CD ROM marked 52X and installs as an
    > ATAPI.
    > The computer and the CD work fine, but the CD ROM occasionally refuses to
    > open. even if I insert a straightened paper clip into the little hole.

    If it doesn't open by pressing the button then its toasted.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, May 5, 2004