CD-ROM Problems

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Global_Killa, May 26, 2004.

  1. Global_Killa

    Global_Killa Guest

    Hey all,
    I just got a new hard drive to replace my current backup hard drive. I
    was going to use my main hard drive, which has my OS installed at the
    minute, as my backup drive and my new hard drive as my main drive.

    This should be easy, done it many times before. However, for some reason my
    CD-ROMS have stopped working after I took out my old hard drive, and swapped
    them around.
    I haven't even touched them, they are connected on a different ID cable from
    my hard drives.

    I've double checked that all of the connections are ok, but still nothing.
    The CD-ROMS still have power when the computer is turned on, they just cant
    be reconized.
    Could it be the ID cable that is the problem? Wasn't anything wrong with
    them before, worked fine.

    Been in the BIOS, tried to auto detect them from there, but only get my two
    hard drives and a floppy drive. The CD-ROMS are set to 'Not Installed',
    where as before they was set to DVD ROM and CD-RW.

    Other than a hard drive change, there has been nothing else installed or
    taken out.

    Thanks for any advice,

    --
    Global_Killa

    http://punkthenation.tk
    Global_Killa, May 26, 2004

  2. Global_Killa

    colin Guest

    Global_Killa <> wrote in message
    > Hey all,
    > I just got a new hard drive to replace my current backup hard drive. I
    > was going to use my main hard drive, which has my OS installed at the
    > minute, as my backup drive and my new hard drive as my main drive.
    >
    > This should be easy, done it many times before. However, for some reason

    my
    > CD-ROMS have stopped working after I took out my old hard drive, and

    swapped
    > them around.
    > I haven't even touched them, they are connected on a different ID cable

    from
    > my hard drives.
    >
    > I've double checked that all of the connections are ok, but still nothing.
    > The CD-ROMS still have power when the computer is turned on, they just

    cant
    > be reconized.
    > Could it be the ID cable that is the problem? Wasn't anything wrong with
    > them before, worked fine.
    >
    > Been in the BIOS, tried to auto detect them from there, but only get my

    two
    > hard drives and a floppy drive. The CD-ROMS are set to 'Not Installed',
    > where as before they was set to DVD ROM and CD-RW.
    >
    > Other than a hard drive change, there has been nothing else installed or
    > taken out.
    >
    > Thanks for any advice,
    >
    > --
    > Global_Killa
    > "You're a victim of the rules you live by!"
    >
    > http://punkthenation.tk

    Check the jumper settings on your cd/cdr/dvd drives.

    Lots of futsin goin on there, so it`s hard to put a finger on it;)
    colin, May 26, 2004

  3. Global_Killa

    Wizard Guest

    The jumpers are the problem.

    Wizard, May 26, 2004
  4. Global_Killa

    Global_Killa Guest

    "colin" <> wrote in message

    > Global_Killa <> wrote in message
    > > Hey all,
    > > I just got a new hard drive to replace my current backup hard drive.

    > > was going to use my main hard drive, which has my OS installed at the
    > > minute, as my backup drive and my new hard drive as my main drive.
    > >
    > > This should be easy, done it many times before. However, for some reason

    > my
    > > CD-ROMS have stopped working after I took out my old hard drive, and

    > swapped
    > > them around.
    > > I haven't even touched them, they are connected on a different ID cable

    > from
    > > my hard drives.
    > >
    > > I've double checked that all of the connections are ok, but still

    nothing.
    > > The CD-ROMS still have power when the computer is turned on, they just

    > cant
    > > be reconized.
    > > Could it be the ID cable that is the problem? Wasn't anything wrong with
    > > them before, worked fine.
    > >
    > > Been in the BIOS, tried to auto detect them from there, but only get my

    > two
    > > hard drives and a floppy drive. The CD-ROMS are set to 'Not Installed',
    > > where as before they was set to DVD ROM and CD-RW.
    > >
    > > Other than a hard drive change, there has been nothing else installed or
    > > taken out.
    > >
    > > Thanks for any advice,
    > >
    > > --
    > > Global_Killa
    > > "You're a victim of the rules you live by!"
    > >
    > > http://punkthenation.tk
    > >

    > Check the jumper settings on your cd/cdr/dvd drives.
    >
    > Lots of futsin goin on there, so it`s hard to put a finger on it;)

    I should of said in the first post about the jumpers.

    I set the hard drive with the OS on, which I want to use as a backup drive
    to a master slave drive, and set my new hard drive to a master drive. This
    shows up correct in the BIOS.

    I haven't changed my CD-ROM jumpers, and they worked fine before. I checked
    them again and they are set correct. DVD-ROM is second master drive, and
    CD-RW is second slave drive.

    The hard drives are connected to the same ID cable, connected to the first
    port on the motherboard.
    The CD-ROMs are connected in the same way, connected to the second port on
    the motherboard.

    So everything should be fine with the jumper settings.

    I've tried setting the hard drive with the OS on back to master and
    disconnected the new hard drive. But the BIOS only recognizes the hard
    drive.
    I can still boot from the hard drive, but no CD-ROMs.

    --
    Global_Killa

    http://punkthenation.tk
    Global_Killa, May 26, 2004
  5. Global_Killa

    Global_Killa Guest

    > Hey all,
    > I just got a new hard drive to replace my current backup hard drive. I
    > was going to use my main hard drive, which has my OS installed at the
    > minute, as my backup drive and my new hard drive as my main drive.
    >
    > This should be easy, done it many times before. However, for some reason

    my
    > CD-ROMS have stopped working after I took out my old hard drive, and

    swapped
    > them around.
    > I haven't even touched them, they are connected on a different ID cable

    from
    > my hard drives.
    >
    > I've double checked that all of the connections are ok, but still nothing.
    > The CD-ROMS still have power when the computer is turned on, they just

    cant
    > be reconized.
    > Could it be the ID cable that is the problem? Wasn't anything wrong with
    > them before, worked fine.
    >
    > Been in the BIOS, tried to auto detect them from there, but only get my

    two
    > hard drives and a floppy drive. The CD-ROMS are set to 'Not Installed',
    > where as before they was set to DVD ROM and CD-RW.
    >
    > Other than a hard drive change, there has been nothing else installed or
    > taken out.
    >
    > Thanks for any advice,
    >
    > --
    > Global_Killa
    > "You're a victim of the rules you live by!"
    >
    > http://punkthenation.tk

    I've tried only using one CD-ROM and one hard drive. Still no luck. I've
    tried three hard drives, one at a time, with one CD-ROM. Then I tried three
    different CD-ROMS with one hard drive.

    I put a new ID cable on the CD-ROMS, but nothing.
    When I use autodetect in the BIOS, it usually works straight way, and would
    bring up DVD ROM or CD-RW. But now it says "Detecting Drive Parameters", it
    does this for about a minute, and then comes up with 'Not Installed'

    Any ideas?

    --
    Global_Killa

    http://punkthenation.tk
    Global_Killa, May 26, 2004
  6. Global_Killa

    Thor Guest

    > I've tried only using one CD-ROM and one hard drive. Still no luck. I've
    > tried three hard drives, one at a time, with one CD-ROM. Then I tried

    three
    > different CD-ROMS with one hard drive.
    >
    > I put a new ID cable on the CD-ROMS, but nothing.
    > When I use autodetect in the BIOS, it usually works straight way, and

    would
    > bring up DVD ROM or CD-RW. But now it says "Detecting Drive Parameters",

    it
    > does this for about a minute, and then comes up with 'Not Installed'

    Try disconnecting the harddrive cable, and plug your CDROM cable into the
    channel that the harddrive was plugged into (Assuming the Primary IDE
    channel), and power it up to see if the CD drives are recognized during POST
    or autodetect. You might have had an IDE channel go bad on you. Also double
    check the BIOS and make sure the secondary IDE channel wasn't accidentally
    disabled in the BIOS settings.
    Thor, May 26, 2004
  7. Global_Killa

    Plato Guest

    Global_Killa wrote:

    > This should be easy, done it many times before. However, for some reason my
    > CD-ROMS have stopped working after I took out my old hard drive, and swapped

    Hopefully you pulled out the power plug or turned off the
    multi-plug/surge protector before you played around inside as modern PCs
    are always ON unless you pull the plug or use the switch on the back of
    your power supply if you have one. In other words, the motherboard and
    bios are always ON in modern PCs. The front Power button merely sends
    power to the drives and cpu and runs the boot process.

    This allows features such as Wake On Lan or Wake On Modem to work.

    Or, more common is that when you went inside to play with the primary
    IDE cable to add
    your new drive, the IDE cable to the cdroms on your secondary channel
    may have come
    loose from the motherboard or just pulled out a bit from one of the
    cdrom drives.

    Also check that your bios hasn't defaulted to DISABLED for the
    secondary IDE channel which [could] happen if you worked on the system
    while it was ON. Hopefully you didn't fry anything.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, May 26, 2004
  8. Global_Killa

    Global_Killa Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > > I've tried only using one CD-ROM and one hard drive. Still no luck. I've
    > > tried three hard drives, one at a time, with one CD-ROM. Then I tried

    > three
    > > different CD-ROMS with one hard drive.
    > >
    > > I put a new ID cable on the CD-ROMS, but nothing.
    > > When I use autodetect in the BIOS, it usually works straight way, and

    > would
    > > bring up DVD ROM or CD-RW. But now it says "Detecting Drive Parameters",

    > it
    > > does this for about a minute, and then comes up with 'Not Installed'

    > Try disconnecting the harddrive cable, and plug your CDROM cable into the
    > channel that the harddrive was plugged into (Assuming the Primary IDE
    > channel), and power it up to see if the CD drives are recognized during

    POST
    > or autodetect. You might have had an IDE channel go bad on you. Also

    double
    > check the BIOS and make sure the secondary IDE channel wasn't accidentally
    > disabled in the BIOS settings.

    Thanks. This was the problem. I took the motherboard back from where I got
    it, and ordered a new one =)

    --
    Global_Killa

    http://punkthenation.tk