    computer boots. Is this a purely software issue, or hardware also?

    Thanks in advance,
    Sean

    Sean V., Feb 13, 2004

  2. Sean V.

    Alex Devlin Guest

    On 12 Feb 2004, Sean V. wrote:

    > I have a CD-ROM which accepts and reads a CD, but will not open when
    > the front button is pushed or when told to via software. It can only
    > be opened by inserting a paperclip into the small hole in the front.
    >
    > Should mention that the drive appears to function normally while the
    > computer boots. Is this a purely software issue, or hardware also?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Sean

    If it opens fine without windows running, ie; during boot-up before windows
    starts or in DOS via a start-up disk, then it's software. I experience this
    occasionally when burning discs but no idea what causes it yet.

    --
    Alex Devlin

    Good friends will bail you out of jail...
    ... True friends will be sitting there with you saying "Damn. That was
    fun!"

    Alex Devlin, Feb 13, 2004

  3. Sean V.

    Thor Guest

    "Alex Devlin" <Alex@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    > On 12 Feb 2004, Sean V. wrote:
    >
    > > I have a CD-ROM which accepts and reads a CD, but will not open when
    > > the front button is pushed or when told to via software. It can only
    > > be opened by inserting a paperclip into the small hole in the front.
    > >
    > > Should mention that the drive appears to function normally while the
    > > computer boots. Is this a purely software issue, or hardware also?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance,
    > > Sean
    > >

    > If it opens fine without windows running, ie; during boot-up before

    windows
    > starts or in DOS via a start-up disk, then it's software. I experience

    this
    > occasionally when burning discs but no idea what causes it yet.

    If you use packet writing software, it's to prevent you from ejecting the
    disc before it's finalized so it can be read in other computers. You usually
    have to eject by software command in those situations.

    Thor, Feb 13, 2004
  4. Sean V.

    Rob-J Guest

    Try to end each process running in the background one by one. Then try to
    eject the CD. It sounds like a conflict of some sort. Also, did you look in
    the event viewer to see if there are any errors?

    Rob-J, Feb 13, 2004
  5. Sean V.

    Trent© Guest

    On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 04:10:46 GMT, "Sean V." <>
    wrote:

    >I have a CD-ROM which accepts and reads a CD, but will not open when the
    >front button is pushed or when told to via software. It can only be opened
    >by inserting a paperclip into the small hole in the front.

    Are you using any kind of an operating system? Just let us know...yes
    or know...and we'll try to guess which one it is.

    >Should mention that the drive appears to function normally while the
    >computer boots.

    What does it do 'normally' as the machine is booting?

    >Is this a purely software issue, or hardware also?

    Usually software.

    What operating system? What program is doin' the reading?

    Next time it happens, go to My Computer, right click on the cdrom,
    pick the 'eject' option (some operating systems will let you follow
    this scenario), see if that helps.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Feb 14, 2004