    CD, etc. I went to device manager, uninstalled driver and booted
    machine. It worked after startup -- but only fror a while, then it was
    the same thing over and over again. Can anybody help?
    seckatary, Dec 12, 2005

  2. seckatary

    Chas Guest

    "seckatary" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'm running WinXP on a Dell Dimension 4700 that I bought in February. A
    > few days ago the CD Rom quit working -- drawer won't open, won't read
    > CD, etc. I went to device manager, uninstalled driver and booted
    > machine. It worked after startup -- but only fror a while, then it was
    > the same thing over and over again. Can anybody help?

    Hi
    Looks like a loose connection inside your machine
    Chas
    Chas, Dec 12, 2005

  3. seckatary

    grumpygramps Guest

    "seckatary" <> wrote in message
    > I'm running WinXP on a Dell Dimension 4700 that I bought in February. A
    > few days ago the CD Rom quit working -- drawer won't open, won't read
    > CD, etc. I went to device manager, uninstalled driver and booted
    > machine. It worked after startup -- but only fror a while, then it was
    > the same thing over and over again. Can anybody help?

    >I had the same problem, it took awhile to find the answer.Look up Code 41,

    I found it on Google.
    grumpygramps, Dec 12, 2005
  4. seckatary

    seckatary Guest

    Thanks, Chas, but that's not it. -- seckatary
    seckatary, Dec 13, 2005
  5. seckatary

    Guest

    You can try an update the firmware for your CD Rom on the
    manufacturers website. Could be a live update for another program
    that has caused the problem, or a virus or even a little worm of
    somesort.
    :D
    Posted with NewsLeecher v3.0 Final
    * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy
    * http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet
    , Dec 13, 2005
  6. seckatary

    Gary Guest

    seckatary wrote:
    > I'm running WinXP on a Dell Dimension 4700 that I bought in February. A
    > few days ago the CD Rom quit working -- drawer won't open, won't read
    > CD, etc. I went to device manager, uninstalled driver and booted
    > machine. It worked after startup -- but only fror a while, then it was
    > the same thing over and over again. Can anybody help?

    Try unplugging the ribbon cable from the drive, restarting the computer,
    clearing any reference to it in the device manager, stopping and
    powering off, reconnect the ribbon cable at both ends and verify that
    the power plug is working, then restart.
    Gary, Dec 14, 2005
  7. seckatary

    Roy Rangel Guest

    why don't you just buy a new cd rom, they are really cheap nowadays.

    Roy Rangel, Dec 14, 2005
  8. seckatary

    seckatary Guest

    Hey, this thing isn't even a year old!