    from anyone else

    With thanks

    Yakov Korer

    Y Korer, Jan 25, 2004

  2. Y Korer

    °Mike° Guest

    Your technician may very well be correct.

    "Incorrect Function" Error Message When You Access the
    CD-ROM Drive, DVD-ROM Drive, or CD-RW Drive
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315350

    "CAUSE
    This behavior can occur if the CD recording program from
    Roxio Easy CD Creator is installed on the computer and the
    version of the program is incompatible with Windows XP.

    Easy CD Creator version 4.x and earlier versions are not
    supported in Windows XP."

    On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 16:48:20 -0000, in
    <4013f310$0$27805$>
    Y Korer scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jan 25, 2004

  3. Y Korer wrote:

    > My CD Rom stopped working. When I tried to read a CD I got the errror
    > message - F:/ is not accessible Incorrect Function.
    > I bought and installed a new one - the Device Manager recognizes it but I
    > still got the same error message when I tried to use it . The drive seems to
    > be working mechanically and I can eject CD's from within Windows (2000) -
    > using my mouse.
    >
    > I have an 'technician' who is looking at it. He thinks that because the
    > system recognizes the drive, the problem is not some loose connection or
    > other hardware fault. He thinks that I must have a software clash - from one
    > of the many programs that I have downloaded fromthe internet.
    >
    > Before I let him wipe out my hard disc I would be grateful for some comments
    > from anyone else

    sounds correct to me.....

    Try boting into DOS with a floppy (GASP!) and see if the CD can be
    accessed that way. If no, then there's a hardware prob still lurking.
    (BIOS setting, maybe?)

    If yes, then Windows is the prob - I would normally suggest booting safe
    mode and removing the CD listings from Device manager then reboot and
    redetect... but I don;t know if you can do that with MS-Win2k.

    Good luck, I'm pullin' for ya!

    BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
    (BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)

    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Jan 26, 2004