CD-Rom Eject button does not work after opening and closing again.

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?TG9naWtvcw==?=, Jul 12, 2005.

  1. Hi,

    Brand new Dell Precision workstation with x64 installed. It has a CD/RW
    drive and a DVD drive. This problem happens on both drives. If you open the
    drive, put in a CD, then eject the disc, and push in the tray again, the
    eject button does not work anymore until you reboot. It doesn't matter what
    is on the CD - it can even be a blank.

    Disk Management reports a file still open when trying to eject from there.
    During the shutdown process during reboot, the OS apparently releases
    whatever hangs it up and I can eject the disc.

    Dell was no real help - they had no clue, but they suggested that it is most
    likely an x64 problem. I have a tendency to agree.

    Any advice/fixes? The paperclip method doesn't help when installing multi-CD
    applications because the install process dies.

    Thanks,

    John

    =?Utf-8?B?TG9naWtvcw==?=, Jul 12, 2005

  2. Here is a link to a list of issues that could be associated with your CD/RW
    drive not functioning properly, the document is based on 9x and 32 bit
    Windows, but could possibly relate to x64 also:
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 12, 2005

  3. Re: CD-Rom Eject button does not work after opening and closing ag

    Hi Andre:

    Thanks for the post. It does look like there is a lock on the CD Drive that
    is not being released. I can put the CD in once and all is fine. Eject it,
    then reinsert the same CD and load, I can browse it once more with Explorer.
    However, ejecting will cause the light to blink a few times, and it's over.

    If this was happening on only one of the drives, it would be a much easier
    problem to solve. But both drives have identical problems and they are both
    brand new.

    John

    =?Utf-8?B?TG9naWtvcw==?=, Jul 12, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?TG9naWtvcw==?=

    M. Murcek Guest

    Does Device Mangler report the manufacturer? Are they Toshibas?

    M. Murcek, Jul 12, 2005
  5. Re: CD-Rom Eject button does not work after opening and closing ag

    "Device Mangler".. Love it!

    Well, the problem has been "solved". As long as I push the CD drive button
    to pop open the tray and close it, all seems to work. If I do what I have
    done for years, that is, tap the tray with my finger to close it, it has the
    problem.

    I guess I can live with this new discipline in my life.

    Thanks to all.

    =?Utf-8?B?TG9naWtvcw==?=, Jul 12, 2005
  6. Re: CD-Rom Eject button does not work after opening and closing ag

    Logikos wrote:
    > Hi Andre:
    >
    > Thanks for the post. It does look like there is a lock on the CD Drive that
    > is not being released. I can put the CD in once and all is fine. Eject it,
    > then reinsert the same CD and load, I can browse it once more with Explorer.
    > However, ejecting will cause the light to blink a few times, and it's over.
    >
    > If this was happening on only one of the drives, it would be a much easier
    > problem to solve. But both drives have identical problems and they are both
    > brand new.
    >
    > John
    >
    > "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:
    >

    >>Here is a link to a list of issues that could be associated with your CD/RW
    >>drive not functioning properly, the document is based on 9x and 32 bit
    >>Windows, but could possibly relate to x64 also:
    >>http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000214.htm
    >>--
    >>Andre
    >>Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    >>Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
    >>http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
    >>FAQ for MS AntiSpy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
    >>
    >>"Logikos" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>Brand new Dell Precision workstation with x64 installed. It has a CD/RW
    >>>drive and a DVD drive. This problem happens on both drives. If you open
    >>>the
    >>>drive, put in a CD, then eject the disc, and push in the tray again, the
    >>>eject button does not work anymore until you reboot. It doesn't matter
    >>>what
    >>>is on the CD - it can even be a blank.
    >>>
    >>>Disk Management reports a file still open when trying to eject from there.
    >>>During the shutdown process during reboot, the OS apparently releases
    >>>whatever hangs it up and I can eject the disc.
    >>>
    >>>Dell was no real help - they had no clue, but they suggested that it is
    >>>most
    >>>likely an x64 problem. I have a tendency to agree.
    >>>
    >>>Any advice/fixes? The paperclip method doesn't help when installing
    >>>multi-CD
    >>>applications because the install process dies.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks,
    >>>
    >>>John

    Hello Logikos,

    Have a look at their corresponding controller(s) in the device manager.
    Go to the Advanced Settings tab and see if the transfer mode is set to
    PIO or DMA. If they're set to DMA change them to PIO mode and try it
    again. Also too, sometimes you can set the controllers transfer mode in
    the BIOS to DMA or PIO. Check your settings there too.

    HTH,

    - --
    Steve Thompson
    Key ID: 0x495F423B http://pgpkeys.telering.at
    CBEC CFA9 94DB B835 5B86 4F7B 5EFF 6369 495F 423B

    Online 64 .NET | http://www.online64.net/
    Help get the forums going.

    Steve Thompson, Jul 12, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?TG9naWtvcw==?=

    Randy Guest

    Re: CD-Rom Eject button does not work after opening and closing ag

    Excellent trouble-shooting and problem-solving skills!
    I'm also a tray-pusher, so I guess I'll need to enroll myself in some sort
    of 12-step program to re-train myself to use the button instead...

    Randy, Jul 12, 2005
  8. Re: CD-Rom Eject button does not work after opening and closing ag

    Device Mangler - I love it too, glad everything is in order Logikos. :)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 12, 2005