CD rom drive problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Some1, Feb 10, 2004.

  1. Some1

    Some1 Guest

    Hi group. I hope you can bring light to my question.

    The machine: PIII 733MHz, 20GB HDD, CD-Rom 48x, 128 MB ram, TNT2 Riva
    mod 64 (32MB), HDD as only device on the Primary IDE, CD-Rom as only
    device on the Secondary IDE. No conflicts of address between hardware
    devices.
    OS: Win 98SE

    Everything used to be working ok until someone tried to install a
    printer using software from a CD. I´m sorry this is all the information
    I could gather from that incident.

    Symptoms of the problem: The CD-rom drive letter (D:) shows up in the
    Windows Explorer, but no disk is recognized. The message: "Drive not
    ready, Retry or Cancel" while trying to look into the contents of the
    disk (several different disks).

    My attempts to solve:
    Bios setup showed PIO 4 for the cd-rom drive while auto detecting
    drives.
    Tried to hook the cd-rom as slave of the HDD on the Primary IDE Bus (as
    cable select AND as slave), with same results. Bios always recognized
    Cd-rom drive properly on every trial.
    From DOS command line trying to dir to d: drive the result is not ready
    reading from D: Abort, Retry, Fail, and then an INT 24 message when
    selecting Fail twice.
    Tried with another working CD-rom drive with same results.

    I hope this is enough information for you to understand the situation.
    Please let me know of your suggestions.

    TIA.
    Some1.

    Some1, Feb 10, 2004