CD-ROM drive does not show in Win 98 Explorer; "working properly" in Device Manager

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by L Mehl, Oct 9, 2006.

  1. L Mehl

    L Mehl Guest

    Hello --

    Info: IBM 390E laptop

    Can anyone tell me how to make the CD drive appear in Windows Explorer?

    Before experiencing this problem, clicking the drive resulted in
    "E:\ is not accessible. The device is not ready.

    I removed it from the Device Manager; upon reboot it "found a new device",
    but this problem remains.

    Might the drive simply need cleaning?

    Thanks for any help.

    Larry Mehl

    L Mehl, Oct 9, 2006

  2. L Mehl

    Larry Mehl Guest

    Thanks Ben.

    Larry

    "Ben Myers" <> wrote in message
    Start the computer in Safe mode by tapping the F8 key repeatedly
    during bootup, then go to Device Manager and remove all the CD
    drivers. Then restart normally. If you are prompted for your
    Windows 98 CD, click "Details", make a note of the file being
    sought and extract it to a floppy on another computer.

    Ben

    Larry Mehl, Nov 27, 2006