    ..could it be a virus that has destroyed the drivers?
    Please help
    Dad

    Daddio, Feb 2, 2004

  2. Daddio

    Alex Devlin Guest

    On 02 Feb 2004, Daddio wrote:

    > My CD rom recently stopped working ...when I put a disc in it just
    > clicks and whirrs.I have tried to update the drivers but it has done
    > no good. The really strange part is that the same thing is happening
    > to my nieghbors .could it be a virus that has destroyed the drivers?
    > Please help
    > Dad

    Sounds like your CD-Rom is dead or the lens needs cleaning.

    See if you can boot from it when you start your system. You may have to
    change some settings in your BIOS, if you don't know how then skip this and
    do the next part.

    Get a start-up floppy disk with CD-Rom support, do a search on google for
    one but scan with a good virus scanner first to be safe. If you don't have
    one then go to http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php and get the free
    edition.

    Boot from this floppy and see if you can access a CD in the CD-Rom. If you
    can then something in Windows is screwing with your CD-Rom. If you can't
    then 99%* it will be your CD-Rom. Try a lens cleaner and if that fails then
    buy a new one. They're cheap these days that repairing isn't worth it.

    *Slight chance that something internal in your PC is causing the problem.
    If you've had anything done inside it recently then check all cables are
    connected and all jumpers are set properly.

    Your neighbors CD-Rom is probably on it's way to the great PC in the sky
    too, just coincidence.

    --
    Alex Devlin

    Good friends will bail you out of jail...
    ... True friends will be sitting there with you saying "Damn. That was
    fun!"

    Alex Devlin, Feb 2, 2004