    other programs?

    It would be great to be able to rip from CD to MP3, but I primary rip to
    WAV.

    mcp6453, Nov 23, 2003

  2. mcp6453

    derek / nul Guest

    On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 20:01:59 -0500, mcp6453 <> wrote:

    >I have been using CDex for ripping CDs to my hard drive. However, on my
    >"audio" computer, which is Win98, I frequently get a BSOD.

    Consider using win2000 or XP, they are much more stable.

    derek / nul, Nov 23, 2003

  3. mcp6453

    bambam Guest

    mcp6453 <> wrote in

    > I have been using CDex for ripping CDs to my hard drive. However,
    > on my "audio" computer, which is Win98, I frequently get a BSOD.
    > All my research shows that the problem is in the ASPI layer,
    > whatever that is. There is nothing Adaptec in the computer, but I
    > downloaded and installed ASPI 4.6 anyway. ASPICHK.EXE indicates
    > that all four files are the same version. The problem continues.
    > Later research indicates that the best solution is to dump CDex.
    > Therefore, I'm interested in alternatives. So far I've tried
    > Burn4Free, MusicMatch, and Exact Audio Copy. We are some other
    > programs?
    >
    > It would be great to be able to rip from CD to MP3, but I primary
    > rip to WAV.

    I remember reading about a problem with the latest version of CDex
    1.51, aah here it is-

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
    &threadm=bl75tm%248mpik%241%40ID-176063.news.uni-berlin.de&rnum=2
    &prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dgroup:alt.comp.freeware%2Binsubject:cdex%26hl%
    3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26scoring%3Dd%26selm%3Dbl75tm%
    25248mpik%25241%2540ID-176063.news.uni-berlin.de%26rnum%3D2

    or

    http://shorl.com/dupimogretufi

    If this doesn't help I have heard some very good things about
    dBpowerAMP-

    http://www.dbpoweramp.com/

    --
    Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

    bambam, Nov 23, 2003
  4. mcp6453

    mbowen83 Guest

    I like Nero 6. It allows you to rip to just about any format and in my
    opinion is one of the best burning tools also.

    mbowen83, Nov 23, 2003
  5. mcp6453

    Night_Seer Guest

    mcp6453 wrote:
    > I have been using CDex for ripping CDs to my hard drive. However, on
    > my "audio" computer, which is Win98, I frequently get a BSOD. All my
    > research shows that the problem is in the ASPI layer, whatever that
    > is. There is nothing Adaptec in the computer, but I downloaded and
    > installed ASPI 4.6 anyway. ASPICHK.EXE indicates that all four files
    > are the same version. The problem continues. Later research indicates
    > that the best solution is to dump CDex. Therefore, I'm interested in
    > alternatives. So far I've tried Burn4Free, MusicMatch, and Exact
    > Audio Copy. We are some other programs?
    >
    > It would be great to be able to rip from CD to MP3, but I primary rip
    > to WAV.

    The absolute best ripping software out there has got to be Exact
    Audio Copy. It has many features and options, and will encode in
    whatever format you want. My recomendation is LAME at
    alt--preset--standard or extreme. EAC has a secure mode that double
    checks what it is ripping to make sure it is correct. If it finds
    difference it goes back and rechecks the same area first 10 times until
    it finds a constant, or more times depending on your settings. Here is
    a good tutorial on setting it up and getting everything you need:

    http://www.chrismyden.com/nuke/modules.php?op=modload&name=MP3DB&file=painless

    Hope it helps.

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Nov 24, 2003
  6. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    Night_Seer wrote:

    > mcp6453 wrote:
    > > I have been using CDex for ripping CDs to my hard drive. However, on
    > > my "audio" computer, which is Win98, I frequently get a BSOD. All my
    > > research shows that the problem is in the ASPI layer, whatever that
    > > is. There is nothing Adaptec in the computer, but I downloaded and
    > > installed ASPI 4.6 anyway. ASPICHK.EXE indicates that all four files
    > > are the same version. The problem continues. Later research indicates
    > > that the best solution is to dump CDex. Therefore, I'm interested in
    > > alternatives. So far I've tried Burn4Free, MusicMatch, and Exact
    > > Audio Copy. We are some other programs?
    > >
    > > It would be great to be able to rip from CD to MP3, but I primary rip
    > > to WAV.

    > The absolute best ripping software out there has got to be Exact
    > Audio Copy. It has many features and options, and will encode in
    > whatever format you want. My recomendation is LAME at
    > alt--preset--standard or extreme. EAC has a secure mode that double
    > checks what it is ripping to make sure it is correct. If it finds
    > difference it goes back and rechecks the same area first 10 times until
    > it finds a constant, or more times depending on your settings. Here is
    > a good tutorial on setting it up and getting everything you need:
    >
    > http://www.chrismyden.com/nuke/modules.php?op=modload&name=MP3DB&file=painless
    >
    > Hope it helps.

    This site is a GREAT help, however when I get to this step:

    Under the EAC Menu, choose 'Profiles' -> 'Load Profile' and select the
    ..CFG file you downloaded in Step 3. (If you put the .CFG file in your
    C:\Program Files\Exact Audio Copy\Profiles directory you can also select
    the profile from the menu at the bottom right)

    EAC crashes. Multiple windows pop up, and the EAC closes. I'm using the
    latest version. Can that be the problem?

    mcp6453, Nov 25, 2003
  7. mcp6453

    Night_Seer Guest

    mcp6453 wrote:
    > Night_Seer wrote:
    >>
    >> mcp6453 wrote:
    >>> I have been using CDex for ripping CDs to my hard drive. However, on
    >>> my "audio" computer, which is Win98, I frequently get a BSOD. All my
    >>> research shows that the problem is in the ASPI layer, whatever that
    >>> is. There is nothing Adaptec in the computer, but I downloaded and
    >>> installed ASPI 4.6 anyway. ASPICHK.EXE indicates that all four files
    >>> are the same version. The problem continues. Later research
    >>> indicates that the best solution is to dump CDex. Therefore, I'm
    >>> interested in alternatives. So far I've tried Burn4Free,
    >>> MusicMatch, and Exact Audio Copy. We are some other programs?
    >>>
    >>> It would be great to be able to rip from CD to MP3, but I primary
    >>> rip to WAV.

    >> The absolute best ripping software out there has got to be Exact
    >> Audio Copy. It has many features and options, and will encode in
    >> whatever format you want. My recomendation is LAME at
    >> alt--preset--standard or extreme. EAC has a secure mode that double
    >> checks what it is ripping to make sure it is correct. If it finds
    >> difference it goes back and rechecks the same area first 10 times
    >> until it finds a constant, or more times depending on your settings.
    >> Here is a good tutorial on setting it up and getting everything you
    >> need:

    http://www.chrismyden.com/nuke/modules.php?op=modload&name=MP3DB&file=painless

    >> Hope it helps.

    > This site is a GREAT help, however when I get to this step:
    >
    > Under the EAC Menu, choose 'Profiles' -> 'Load Profile' and select the
    > .CFG file you downloaded in Step 3. (If you put the .CFG file in your
    > C:\Program Files\Exact Audio Copy\Profiles directory you can also
    > select the profile from the menu at the bottom right)
    >
    > EAC crashes. Multiple windows pop up, and the EAC closes. I'm using
    > the latest version. Can that be the problem?

    Hmmm...well you can do those settings yourself...the profile there
    might be set-up for a specific optical drive, and could crash when it
    doesn't find it. I'm not sure which version is the latest...which
    number is it? The settings are not too difficult...I'll have a look
    tonight at my settings and get back to you tomorrow...that way you can
    just set up your own profile. What is more important to you...speed or
    accuracy?

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Nov 25, 2003