    I'm confused because I always thought the disc records on the side opposite
    the label side. Am I interpreting Mike Meyers wrongly? Will a buffer that
    comes in contact with the label side ruin the CD?

    JAG JR, Jun 23, 2003

  2. JAG JR

    Pikoro Guest

    Don't worry about terminology.
    What your kit calls the data side is probably the opposite of what MM meant.
    I would just insert the CD as usual and complete the cleaning procedure.

    "JAG JR" <> wrote in message
    > I recently purchased a CD Repair/Cleaning device and now need some advice.
    >
    > Mike Meyers' Fourth Edition (A+ Cert) states on page 822 that "data on a
    > CD-ROM is near the "top" of the CD-ROM, where the label is located'"
    >
    > The instructions that came with my kit tell me to insert the disc

    (data-side

    Pikoro, Jun 23, 2003

  3. On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 18:08:38 -0700, "Pikoro" <>
    wrote:

    >Don't worry about terminology.
    >What your kit calls the data side is probably the opposite of what MM meant.
    >I would just insert the CD as usual and complete the cleaning procedure.

    To clarify a little, MM means that the part of the CD that the data is
    recorded on is actually closer to the label side of the disk
    internally.

    Think of the CD as a salami sand which, where the salami is the data
    recording medium, the top piece of bread is the label layer, and the
    bottom piece of bread is what is traditionally called the "Data side"
    (actually a clear, protective layer). The point here is that the
    bottom piece of bread is thicker than the top piece - therefore the
    data *is* located nearer the "top" of the CD, relatively speaking.

    A scratch in the clear/lower level is probably just a scratch in the
    protective coating, and can usually be polished out, leaving the CD
    readable. However, a scratch in the label/upper layer/level is much
    more likely to go through to damage the data itself.

    Bottom line....put the CD in with the shiny, non-label side against
    any cleaning mechanism.

    >"JAG JR" <> wrote in message
    >> I recently purchased a CD Repair/Cleaning device and now need some advice.
    >>
    >> Mike Meyers' Fourth Edition (A+ Cert) states on page 822 that "data on a
    >> CD-ROM is near the "top" of the CD-ROM, where the label is located'"
    >>
    >> The instructions that came with my kit tell me to insert the disc

    >(data-side
    >> facing downward). If I follow instructions (and Mike Meyers), the label
    >> side will come in contact with the spinning mechanical buffers.
    >>
    >> I'm confused because I always thought the disc records on the side

    >opposite
    >> the label side. Am I interpreting Mike Meyers wrongly? Will a buffer

    >that
    >> comes in contact with the label side ruin the CD?

    I resisted 'till I couldn't take it anymore.

    (sigh) Address altered against Spam.

    Replace the -at- and put the "spring-mind" in the correct order

    mhaase-at-springmind.com, Jun 23, 2003
  4. The label side is also the side where the data is actually stored, in a
    dye layer that is under the label surface. The other side is just clear
    (or perhaps scratched) plastic. The pickup sees the data "through" this
    side.

    Scratches on the clear side can be "polished" away. Scratches on the
    label side can actually destroy or remove the data itself, which is
    permanent and from which there is no recovery.

    If you use a repair (polishing) device, you want to polish the non-label
    side, the "clear" side, through which the data is "seen". If you polish
    the other side, it will not help and may destroy the disc by actually
    removing the data.

    Barry Watzman, Jun 26, 2003