    stuff available today I haven't seen any increase in read speeds.

    Has the maximum been reached or is the technology now concentrating on DVD
    rewriters?

    John, Jan 11, 2006

  2. John

    PC Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    >2 years ago I bought a CD rewriter that can read at 55X, looking through
    >the stuff available today I haven't seen any increase in read speeds.
    >
    > Has the maximum been reached or is the technology now concentrating on DVD
    > rewriters?

    John

    They've basically reached the maximum speed they can 'reasonably' spin the
    disk at.
    Your 55x drive can theoretically spin up to 11,000 RPM.
    At that rate a CD can cause serious damage if it breaks.
    Given the way the average punter treats them it's amazing they don't let go
    more often.

    Explanation on speeds here:
    http://www.cdspeed2000.com/go.php3?link=faq_general.html

    Some relevant sites http://www.powerlabs.org/cdexplode.htm,
    http://www.paintbug.com/cdexplode/

    Cheers
    Paul

    PC, Jan 11, 2006

  3. John

    soup Guest

    PC wrote:
    > "John" <> wrote in message
    > > 2 years ago I bought a CD rewriter that can read at 55X, looking
    > > through the stuff available today I haven't seen any increase in
    > > read speeds.
    > >
    > > Has the maximum been reached or is the technology now concentrating
    > > on DVD rewriters?
    > >

    > John
    >
    > They've basically reached the maximum speed they can 'reasonably'
    > spin the disk at.
    > Your 55x drive can theoretically spin up to 11,000 RPM.
    > At that rate a CD can cause serious damage if it breaks.
    > Given the way the average punter treats them it's amazing they don't
    > let go more often.
    > Explanation on speeds here:
    > http://www.cdspeed2000.com/go.php3?link=faq_general.html
    > Some relevant sites http://www.powerlabs.org/cdexplode.htm,
    > http://www.paintbug.com/cdexplode/

    At about 55000 revs a min the edge would go supersonic and you (TINY)
    would get supersonic booms inside your CD case, but long before that
    speed was reached the centripital stresses in the CD would far exceed
    the "strength" of the CD and it would fly apart so 55X or about 11,000
    RPM is the top range of the speeds used without testing individual
    discs. Can see with specially tested discs and specially built drives
    speeds going up to 20000 RPM but not for the mass market. Indeed there
    have been a few cases of discs "letting go" at these "lower" speeds so
    can not invisage mass market speeds getting much quicker.
    --
    This post contains no hidden meanings, no implications and certainly no
    hidden agendas so it should be taken at face value. The wrong words

    soup, Jan 11, 2006
  4. John

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, John
    <> wrote:

    > 2 years ago I bought a CD rewriter that can read at 55X, looking through the
    > stuff available today I haven't seen any increase in read speeds.
    >
    > Has the maximum been reached or is the technology now concentrating on DVD
    > rewriters?

    You should understand a critical thing here, before you put much
    emphasis on the speed of a CD drive:

    It isn't reading at that speed, or anything close, almost the entire
    time.

    I suspect you wouldn't ever notice the difference between one like that
    and a 32x or 40x drive at any time, excepting maybe by the noise they
    produce.

    Mitch, Jan 11, 2006
  5. John

    Plato Guest

    John wrote:

    > 2 years ago I bought a CD rewriter that can read at 55X, looking through the
    > stuff available today I haven't seen any increase in read speeds.

    Published read/write speeds are only in theory. Most home users cant
    achive the speeds.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jan 12, 2006