    Any suggestions?

    --
    ~IRO

    IRO, Dec 9, 2003

  2. IRO

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "IRO" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Sorry if this is an FAQ, but the question just came up as to what CD-R
    > media can be trusted for archival purposes? And where can it be
    > purchased?
    >
    > I've had too many CDs let me down by being unreadable in some drives or
    > simply going AWOL even to the drive that created them in the first place.
    >
    > I've been looking round for Kodak Gold but apparently they ceased
    > production a while ago. The alternative is Mitsui Gold, but I've been
    > unable to find a supplier in ChCh.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > --
    > ~IRO

    I'd guess that some of the newer faster drives might have trouble reading an
    old 4X CDR. Perhaps if they're used to the limit right out to the edge,
    they could go off quicker, than one that's up to around 80% full.
    To be on the safe side you could use more than one brand doing a couple of
    copies of anything you want to keep long term.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Dec 9, 2003

  3. IRO

    Dumdedo Guest

    On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 18:32:35 +1300, IRO
    <> wrote:

    >Sorry if this is an FAQ, but the question just came up as to what CD-R
    >media can be trusted for archival purposes? And where can it be
    >purchased?
    >
    >I've had too many CDs let me down by being unreadable in some drives or
    >simply going AWOL even to the drive that created them in the first place.
    >
    >I've been looking round for Kodak Gold but apparently they ceased
    >production a while ago. The alternative is Mitsui Gold, but I've been
    >unable to find a supplier in ChCh.
    >
    >Any suggestions?

    Verbatim Datalife Plus, but must be the Plus..

    Dumdedo, Dec 9, 2003
  4. IRO

    <> wrote:

    >Sorry if this is an FAQ, but the question just came up as to what CD-R
    >media can be trusted for archival purposes? And where can it be
    >purchased?
    >
    >I've had too many CDs let me down by being unreadable in some drives or
    >simply going AWOL even to the drive that created them in the first place.
    >
    >I've been looking round for Kodak Gold but apparently they ceased
    >production a while ago. The alternative is Mitsui Gold, but I've been
    >unable to find a supplier in ChCh.
    >
    >Any suggestions?

    Well a lot can depend on your equipment, no matter how good the CD's are.

    The Output from a CDR is a lot less than a normal CD, Kodak Gold are rated at
    70% reflectivity..

    If your lasers are worn you will get bad burns or bad reads in the CD Rom
    drive.

    Also if you Smoke or the Optics are dirty, will give bad reads or burns, dust
    can be cleaned off the top of the lens but not much else, smoking is a Big no
    no.

    Some burners are better than others and will try and burn at the correct
    power, plus not some brands of burners have Firmware Updates, some of these
    updates are to support different brands of CD's

    Dumdedo, Dec 9, 2003
  5. IRO

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 18:32:35 +1300, IRO
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Sorry if this is an FAQ, but the question just came up as to what CD-R
    > >media can be trusted for archival purposes? And where can it be
    > >purchased?
    > >
    > >I've had too many CDs let me down by being unreadable in some drives or
    > >simply going AWOL even to the drive that created them in the first place.
    > >
    > >I've been looking round for Kodak Gold but apparently they ceased
    > >production a while ago. The alternative is Mitsui Gold, but I've been
    > >unable to find a supplier in ChCh.
    > >
    > >Any suggestions?

    > Verbatim Datalife Plus, but must be the Plus..

    Also known as Mitsubishi (SR80 or similar)

    Mainlander, Dec 9, 2003
  6. IRO

    Dumdedo Guest

    On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 22:50:20 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >says...
    >> On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 18:32:35 +1300, IRO
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Sorry if this is an FAQ, but the question just came up as to what CD-R
    >> >media can be trusted for archival purposes? And where can it be
    >> >purchased?
    >> >
    >> >I've had too many CDs let me down by being unreadable in some drives or
    >> >simply going AWOL even to the drive that created them in the first place.
    >> >
    >> >I've been looking round for Kodak Gold but apparently they ceased
    >> >production a while ago. The alternative is Mitsui Gold, but I've been
    >> >unable to find a supplier in ChCh.
    >> >
    >> >Any suggestions?

    >> Verbatim Datalife Plus, but must be the Plus..

    >Also known as Mitsubishi (SR80 or similar)

    Well not true as they are listed now as Sonic Azo and so far have never seen
    in Spindles..

    Dumdedo, Dec 9, 2003
  7. IRO

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 22:56:02 +1300, Dumdedo
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 22:50:20 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>,
    >>says...

    >>> Verbatim Datalife Plus, but must be the Plus..

    >>Also known as Mitsubishi (SR80 or similar)

    >Well not true as they are listed now as Sonic Azo and so far have never seen
    >in Spindles..

    I got a spindle of the Verbatim DatalLifePlus. They ID as
    Manufacturer of CD-R: Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation (Type 3)

    And the good thing is they are cheap, only 64cents each.

    Craig Shore, Dec 10, 2003
  8. IRO

    Dumdedo Guest

    On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 05:56:37 GMT, (Craig Shore)
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 22:56:02 +1300, Dumdedo
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 22:50:20 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:
    >>
    >>>In article <>,
    >>>says...

    >>>Also known as Mitsubishi (SR80 or similar)

    >>Well not true as they are listed now as Sonic Azo and so far have never seen
    >>in Spindles..

    >I got a spindle of the Verbatim DatalLifePlus. They ID as
    >Manufacturer of CD-R: Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation (Type 3)
    >
    >And the good thing is they are cheap, only 64cents each.

    And were can you get them these days, Harvey Norman no longer has them or any
    One on the Kapiti Coast.

    Dumdedo, Dec 10, 2003
  9. IRO

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 21:06:13 +1300, Dumdedo
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 05:56:37 GMT, (Craig Shore)
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 22:56:02 +1300, Dumdedo
    >><> wrote:

    >>>Well not true as they are listed now as Sonic Azo and so far have never seen
    >>>in Spindles..

    >>I got a spindle of the Verbatim DatalLifePlus. They ID as
    >>Manufacturer of CD-R: Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation (Type 3)
    >>
    >>And the good thing is they are cheap, only 64cents each.
    >>

    >And were can you get them these days, Harvey Norman no longer has them or any
    >One on the Kapiti Coast.

    Your favourite online shop has then for $42 for a 50 spindle.
    (www.pp.co.nz)

    Tastech in Christchurch has them listed at $32, but they don't have
    Super Azo in the name like PP does.

    Craig Shore, Dec 10, 2003
  10. IRO

    Dumdedo Guest

    On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 08:11:36 GMT, (Craig Shore)
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 21:06:13 +1300, Dumdedo
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 05:56:37 GMT, (Craig Shore)
    >>wrote:

    >>>I got a spindle of the Verbatim DatalLifePlus. They ID as
    >>>Manufacturer of CD-R: Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation (Type 3)
    >>>
    >>>And the good thing is they are cheap, only 64cents each.
    >>>

    >>And were can you get them these days, Harvey Norman no longer has them or any
    >>One on the Kapiti Coast.

    >Your favourite online shop has then for $42 for a 50 spindle.
    >(www.pp.co.nz)
    >
    >Tastech in Christchurch has them listed at $32, but they don't have
    >Super Azo in the name like PP does.

    Tim the chap from P.N. I think payed $37 deliverd for Tastech and yes they
    wre Super Azo..

    They (Mitsubishi) used to be listed a Metal Azo with a 100 year life..?

    The Mitsubishi ones in DSE, in packs of 10 are listed as Sonic Azo..??

    The Gold Mitsubishi 50 spindles are not made by Mitsubishi, but by Prodisc
    Tech; and listed as 6mw, I think the Super Azo is 5mw..

    Dumdedo, Dec 10, 2003
  11. IRO

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 22:50:20 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > >says...

    > >> Verbatim Datalife Plus, but must be the Plus..

    > >Also known as Mitsubishi (SR80 or similar)

    > Well not true as they are listed now as Sonic Azo and so far have never seen
    > in Spindles..

    Verbatim is owned by Mitsubishi, both the Verbatim and Mitsubishi disks
    use Mitsubishi's patented metalised Azo dye.

    Mainlander, Dec 10, 2003
  12. IRO

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 05:56:37 GMT, (Craig Shore)
    > wrote:
    >
    > >On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 22:56:02 +1300, Dumdedo
    > ><> wrote:

    > >>Well not true as they are listed now as Sonic Azo and so far have never seen
    > >>in Spindles..

    > >I got a spindle of the Verbatim DatalLifePlus. They ID as
    > >Manufacturer of CD-R: Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation (Type 3)
    > >
    > >And the good thing is they are cheap, only 64cents each.
    > >

    > And were can you get them these days, Harvey Norman no longer has them or any
    > One on the Kapiti Coast.

    Boise office supplies (around NZ) sell them
    Mitsubishi are sold by DSE

    Mainlander, Dec 10, 2003
  13. IRO

    Tim Guest

    Dumdedo <> wrote in

    > On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 08:11:36 GMT, (Craig
    > Shore) wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 21:06:13 +1300, Dumdedo
    >><> wrote:

    >>>And were can you get them these days, Harvey Norman no longer has
    >>>them or any One on the Kapiti Coast.

    >>Your favourite online shop has then for $42 for a 50 spindle.
    >>(www.pp.co.nz)
    >>
    >>Tastech in Christchurch has them listed at $32, but they don't have
    >>Super Azo in the name like PP does.
    >>

    > Tim the chap from P.N. I think payed $37 deliverd for Tastech and yes
    > they wre Super Azo..

    That was me - they were definitely the Super Azo ones when I got them.
    If they say DatalifePlus, they are Super Azo. They worked great too -
    not a single verify error or coaster in the whole spindle. Will have to
    get another couple sometime soon.

    --
    Tim
    - <insert witty signature here>

    Tim, Dec 10, 2003
  14. IRO

    Dumdedo Guest

    On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 22:13:58 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >says...
    >> On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 05:56:37 GMT, (Craig Shore)
    >> wrote:

    >> >I got a spindle of the Verbatim DatalLifePlus. They ID as
    >> >Manufacturer of CD-R: Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation (Type 3)
    >> >
    >> >And the good thing is they are cheap, only 64cents each.
    >> >

    >> And were can you get them these days, Harvey Norman no longer has them or any
    >> One on the Kapiti Coast.

    >Boise office supplies (around NZ) sell them
    >Mitsubishi are sold by DSE

    But not in Spindles

    Dumdedo, Dec 10, 2003
  15. IRO

    Brendan Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Sorry if this is an FAQ, but the question just came up as to what CD-R
    >media can be trusted for archival purposes? And where can it be
    >purchased?
    >
    >I've had too many CDs let me down by being unreadable in some drives or
    >simply going AWOL even to the drive that created them in the first place.
    >
    >I've been looking round for Kodak Gold but apparently they ceased
    >production a while ago. The alternative is Mitsui Gold, but I've been
    >unable to find a supplier in ChCh.
    >
    >Any suggestions?

    For longer term storage and/or compatibility with weird cdrom drives,
    burn at a slow speed - 4x maybe.

    I have had good performance out of those crimson Transonic disks from
    the Warehouse. Some of them have been 4 or 5 years old.

    Long term (20 years plus) storage of computer data is becoming a
    tricky problem. Even if you find a cdr gauranteed to last that long,
    in 20 years it is likly no DRIVE will be around to read it and all the
    ones we use now will be dead of old age.

    Clay tablets are the only long term strorage media with a proven
    record ;)

    Consider: film shot in the early days of movies (1920's) has largely
    deteriroated and rotted into uselessness (like woger). A mere 80
    years.

    It's an interesting problem: high data density storage AND long life.

    Question: how would you store a civilisation's worth of knowledge for
    10,000 years AND have it readable by anyone ?

    --

    ....Brendan

    Under capitalism, man exploits man.
    Under communism, it's just the opposite.
    J.K.Galbraith

    Note: All comments are copyright 2003, and are opinion only where not otherwise stated, and always 'to the best of my reccollection'.

    Brendan, Dec 10, 2003
  16. IRO

    Dumdedo Guest

    On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 12:12:19 +1300, Brendan <corum.usenet@myrealbox (dot com)>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 18:32:35 +1300, IRO
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Sorry if this is an FAQ, but the question just came up as to what CD-R
    >>media can be trusted for archival purposes? And where can it be
    >>purchased?
    >>
    >>I've had too many CDs let me down by being unreadable in some drives or
    >>simply going AWOL even to the drive that created them in the first place.
    >>
    >>I've been looking round for Kodak Gold but apparently they ceased
    >>production a while ago. The alternative is Mitsui Gold, but I've been
    >>unable to find a supplier in ChCh.
    >>
    >>Any suggestions?

    >For longer term storage and/or compatibility with weird cdrom drives,
    >burn at a slow speed - 4x maybe.
    >
    >I have had good performance out of those crimson Transonic disks from
    >the Warehouse. Some of them have been 4 or 5 years old.
    >
    >Long term (20 years plus) storage of computer data is becoming a
    >tricky problem. Even if you find a cdr gauranteed to last that long,
    >in 20 years it is likly no DRIVE will be around to read it and all the
    >ones we use now will be dead of old age.
    >
    >Clay tablets are the only long term strorage media with a proven
    >record ;)
    >
    >Consider: film shot in the early days of movies (1920's) has largely
    >deteriroated and rotted into uselessness (like woger). A mere 80
    >years.
    >
    >It's an interesting problem: high data density storage AND long life.
    >
    >Question: how would you store a civilisation's worth of knowledge for
    >10,000 years AND have it readable by anyone ?

    Seems like you know nothing and just waffle and think that you do.

    Sure signs of a metal problem to me..

    Dumdedo, Dec 10, 2003
  17. IRO

    Steven H Guest

    In article <>,
    corum.usenet@myrealbox says...

    > Question: how would you store a civilisation's worth of knowledge for
    > 10,000 years AND have it readable by anyone ?

    good question Brendan

    isnt there a technology that enables a home growen crystal cube to store
    massive amounts of infomation - god knows how they done it.

    what about using brain matter to store (and compute) infomation.

    mabye we will all end up getting "brain interfaces" pluged into us when
    we are born (or hatched) which makes us learn everything at the speed of
    thaught.

    mabye insted of multi level underground football fields filled with cray
    supercomputers crunching in parralell we will have vats of brains that
    interface with one-another via telephathy

    ok i need a coffie

    Steven H

    Steven H, Dec 11, 2003
  18. IRO

    Craig Shore Guest

    (dot com)> wrote:

    >Question: how would you store a civilisation's worth of knowledge for
    >10,000 years AND have it readable by anyone ?

    That's the good thing about digital data. As long as the medium you
    store it on now lasts until it's technoloy is being phased out, it can
    be transferred to whatever new one that is being used.

    Craig Shore, Dec 11, 2003
  19. On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 12:12:19 +1300, Brendan wrote:

    > I have had good performance out of those crimson Transonic disks from
    > the Warehouse. Some of them have been 4 or 5 years old.

    When those first started appearing, they turned out to be a swiss disk
    with a pretty good reputation.

    As for long-term storage, periodic renewals of the media is the _only_ way
    to fly: $orkplace has a large stack of archival open reel tapes and cartridges
    which are proabbly perfectly serviceable, however there's no hardware left
    to read them (the drives died of old age, weren't thrown out as obselete)

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Dec 11, 2003
  20. IRO

    Brendan Guest

    On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 12:47:36 +1300, Dumdedo
    <> wrote:

    >Seems like you know nothing and just waffle and think that you do.
    >
    >Sure signs of a metal problem to me..

    Piss Off roger

    Brendan, Dec 12, 2003