    any point in buying a CD only player? I'm thinking of transferring opera
    sets on 3 CDs to one audio DVD to avoid having to change disks; and similar
    things. Any problems with that?

    Geoff Pearson, Nov 28, 2005

  2. Geoff Pearson, <>, the mouldy, jingly flyswatter,
    and coffin maker, rued:

    > As most DVD players play all kinds of disk - including audio CDs, is
    > there any point in buying a CD only player? I'm thinking of
    > transferring opera sets on 3 CDs to one audio DVD to avoid having to
    > change disks; and similar things. Any problems with that?

    Do you mean drive or player?

    is but a dream within a dream.

    Lord Gazwad of Grantham, Nov 28, 2005

  3. "Lord Gazwad of Grantham" <> wrote in message
    > Geoff Pearson, <>, the mouldy, jingly flyswatter,
    > and coffin maker, rued:
    >
    >> As most DVD players play all kinds of disk - including audio CDs, is
    >> there any point in buying a CD only player? I'm thinking of
    >> transferring opera sets on 3 CDs to one audio DVD to avoid having to
    >> change disks; and similar things. Any problems with that?

    > Do you mean drive or player?
    >
    > --
    > For my own part, I have never had a thought which I could not set down
    > in words with even more distinctness than that with which I conceived
    > it. There is, however, a class of fancies of exquisite delicacy which
    > are not thoughts, and to which as yet I have found it absolutely
    > impossible to adapt to language. These fancies arise in the soul, alas
    > how rarely. Only at epochs of most intense tranquillity, when the
    > bodily and mental health are in perfection. And at those weird points
    > of time, where the confines of the waking world blend with the world of
    > dreams. And so I captured this fancy, where all that we see, or seem,
    > is but a dream within a dream.

    player - to plug into my stereo system, mainly.

    Geoff Pearson, Nov 28, 2005
  4. Geoff Pearson

    Rich Wilson Guest

    "Geoff Pearson" <> wrote in message

    > "Lord Gazwad of Grantham" <> wrote in message
    >> Geoff Pearson, <>, the mouldy, jingly
    >> flyswatter,
    >> and coffin maker, rued:
    >>
    >>> As most DVD players play all kinds of disk - including audio CDs, is
    >>> there any point in buying a CD only player? I'm thinking of
    >>> transferring opera sets on 3 CDs to one audio DVD to avoid having to
    >>> change disks; and similar things. Any problems with that?

    >> Do you mean drive or player?
    >>

    > player - to plug into my stereo system, mainly.

    Depends if you're a serious hi-fi nut or not... some people would probably
    claim a CD-only player sounds better than a DVD player playing CDs but most
    of us wouldn't be able to tell the difference. And if you've got an
    amp/receiver with a digital input there's definitely no point having a CD
    player.

    Rich Wilson, Nov 28, 2005
  5. Geoff Pearson

    frank Guest

    "Rich Wilson" <> wrote in message

    > "Geoff Pearson" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Lord Gazwad of Grantham" <> wrote in
    >> message
    >>> Geoff Pearson, <>, the mouldy, jingly
    >>> flyswatter,
    >>> and coffin maker, rued:

    >>> Do you mean drive or player?
    >>>

    >> player - to plug into my stereo system, mainly.

    > Depends if you're a serious hi-fi nut or not... some people would
    > probably claim a CD-only player sounds better than a DVD player playing
    > CDs but most of us wouldn't be able to tell the difference. And if you've
    > got an amp/receiver with a digital input there's definitely no point
    > having a CD player.

    And whys that then Rich?

    frank, Nov 28, 2005
  6. Geoff Pearson

    Rich Wilson Guest

    "frank" <> wrote in message

    > "Rich Wilson" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Geoff Pearson" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Lord Gazwad of Grantham" <> wrote in
    >>> message

    >>> player - to plug into my stereo system, mainly.

    >> Depends if you're a serious hi-fi nut or not... some people would
    >> probably claim a CD-only player sounds better than a DVD player playing
    >> CDs but most of us wouldn't be able to tell the difference. And if you've
    >> got an amp/receiver with a digital input there's definitely no point
    >> having a CD player.
    >>

    > And whys that then Rich?

    Because if you're using a digital connection the sound would be identical
    whatever sort of player you use. That's the point of digital stuff.

    (Unless you believe that "jitter" is a problem, in which case I'd like to
    see some proof.)

    Rich Wilson, Nov 28, 2005
  7. Geoff Pearson

    Alan Guest

    Geoff Pearson wrote:
    > "Lord Gazwad of Grantham" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Geoff Pearson, <>, the mouldy, jingly flyswatter,
    >>and coffin maker, rued:
    >>

    >>>As most DVD players play all kinds of disk - including audio CDs, is
    >>>there any point in buying a CD only player? I'm thinking of
    >>>transferring opera sets on 3 CDs to one audio DVD to avoid having to
    >>>change disks; and similar things. Any problems with that?

    >>Do you mean drive or player?
    >>
    >>--
    >>For my own part, I have never had a thought which I could not set down
    >>in words with even more distinctness than that with which I conceived
    >>it. There is, however, a class of fancies of exquisite delicacy which
    >>are not thoughts, and to which as yet I have found it absolutely
    >>impossible to adapt to language. These fancies arise in the soul, alas
    >>how rarely. Only at epochs of most intense tranquillity, when the
    >>bodily and mental health are in perfection. And at those weird points
    >>of time, where the confines of the waking world blend with the world of
    >>dreams. And so I captured this fancy, where all that we see, or seem,
    >>is but a dream within a dream.
    >>

    > player - to plug into my stereo system, mainly.

    Are you looking to compile 3 audio CDs onto a DVD and play it on DVD
    player hooked up to you stereo? I only thing that would work if you
    converted them to MP3s

    Alan, Nov 29, 2005
  8. Geoff Pearson

    fred-bloggs Guest

    "Geoff Pearson" <> wrote in

    > As most DVD players play all kinds of disk - including audio CDs, is
    > there any point in buying a CD only player? I'm thinking of
    > transferring opera sets on 3 CDs to one audio DVD to avoid having to
    > change disks; and similar things. Any problems with that?

    Presuming that you want quality as good as the CD, you need a DVD player
    and a burning program that support DVD-Audio.

    --
    fred

    fred-bloggs, Nov 29, 2005
  9. Geoff Pearson

    Fred Guest

    On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 20:29:10 +0000, Geoff Pearson wrote:

    > As most DVD players play all kinds of disk - including audio CDs, is there
    > any point in buying a CD only player? I'm thinking of transferring opera
    > sets on 3 CDs to one audio DVD to avoid having to change disks; and similar
    > things. Any problems with that?

    DVD writers are cheap

    Fred, Nov 29, 2005