    want bells and whistles eye candy stuff etc, I have looked around on the net
    but am no nearer to finding anything thats suitable.

    Thanks

    soylentgreen, Jan 25, 2008

  2. soylentgreen

    Mike Easter Guest

    soylentgreen wrote:
    > Can anyone recommend a simple effective cd labelling software
    > programme dont want bells and whistles eye candy stuff etc, I have
    > looked around on the net but am no nearer to finding anything thats
    > suitable.

    You can label a CD with lightscribe or you can label a CD with a
    template which is accurately adhered using a 'gizmo' like CD stomper, or
    you can label a jewelcase.

    The term 'cd labeling software' would mean an application for some
    specific operating system (win, linux, mac, etc) which employed some
    specific 'method' such as lightscribe, stomper, jewelcase insert, etc.

    So, the question is: first start with your OS and then name your
    'labeling' plan/method of intention.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jan 25, 2008

  3. soylentgreen

    Rôgêr Guest

    soylentgreen wrote:
    > Can anyone recommend a simple effective cd labelling software programme dont
    > want bells and whistles eye candy stuff etc, I have looked around on the net
    > but am no nearer to finding anything thats suitable.

    Sharpie.

    But seriously folk, if you buy a good-sized pack of CD labels at most
    places it comes with some software. I use CorelDraw because I like the
    precise control.

    Rôgêr, Jan 25, 2008
  4. soylentgreen

    soylentgreen Guest

    xp home........disc labels for cd cases insets etc. and cd,s.

    soylentgreen, Jan 25, 2008
  5. soylentgreen

    chuckie® Guest

    "soylentgreen" <drm6112@=SPAMBLOCK= blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Can anyone recommend a simple effective cd labelling software programme

    dont
    > want bells and whistles eye candy stuff etc, I have looked around on the

    net
    > but am no nearer to finding anything thats suitable.
    >
    > Thanks

    I know this is a really dumb, stupid suggestion, but, enter 'cd labeling
    software' into Google (or any other search engine) and check the results...

    That being said, most brand name cd burning software (Nero and EZCD Creator
    come to mind) have that function built into them. I have also used
    SureThing and NTZ (which, I believe, I got with some Memorex CD labels),
    with good results...luck...

    chuckie®, Jan 26, 2008
  6. soylentgreen

    thanatoid Guest

    "soylentgreen" <drm6112@=SPAMBLOCK= blueyonder.co.uk> wrote
    in news:xBtmj.266203$:

    > Can anyone recommend a simple effective cd labelling
    > software programme dont want bells and whistles eye candy
    > stuff etc, I have looked around on the net but am no nearer
    > to finding anything thats suitable.
    >
    > Thanks

    It's called "Sharpie" (standard, NOT the /really/ thin point
    ones) and can be found in any stationery store and even most
    supermarkets. In a VARIETY of colors!

    I'm not joking. Should you ever be unlucky enough to have even a
    part of a stick-on label come off, it will /most probably/,
    depending on storage conditions and label quality, take enough
    of the disc's data with it to render it totally useless. To get
    an idea, make a razor cut on the top layer (that's where all the
    data is, the bottom is just plastic to protect the top layer).
    See what happens. On crappy discs, sometimes just some Scotch
    tape will do the trick.

    I am sure the quality of labels has improved over the years but
    I still would not trust ANY of my discs with ANY labels. WTF do
    you need a label for when the disc is IN THE PLAYER? (Speaking
    of which, any label which is less than /perfectly/ centered can
    cause other interesting effects I won't get into.) All this
    "technology" is as necessary or useful as laser lens cleaning
    brush discs.

    If you can't come up with a 5 or less word description of the
    contents, you might want to look into inserts and booklets. Of
    course, then you will need a program which prints directories'
    contents, since Windows still can not do it and it appears
    practically certain that it never will.

    The "light scribe" technology and the older "special printer
    with a printable disc" technologies are fine, but you need
    special discs and hardware and IMO it's just not worth the cost
    or bother.

    And THANKS a LOT for making me break my cycle of not replying to
    anything.

    --
    Any mental activity is easy if it need not be subjected to
    reality.

    thanatoid, Jan 26, 2008
  7. soylentgreen

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 06:37:56 +0000, thanatoid wrote:

    > And THANKS a LOT for making me break my cycle of not replying to
    > anything.

    Was wondering where you were, mate. Nice to see you back here (if only on
    a flying visit).

    Aardvark, Jan 26, 2008
  8. soylentgreen

    Guest

    , Jan 27, 2008
  9. soylentgreen

    Matt Guest

    Greetings!
    I suggest you try our "Maestro Label Designer" label software. The
    software is free, easy to use, and we have live customer support if
    you have questions. You can try our software by clicking on the
    following link. http://www.onlinelabels.com/software.htm

    Also if you have a need for CD or DVD Labels check out this page.
    http://www.onlinelabels.com/dvd-labels.htm
    Please feel free to call (888)575-2235 with any questions.

    Thanks,

    Matt Hamilton
    http://www.onlinelabels.com
    Click. Print. Stick.

    Matt, Jan 28, 2008
  10. soylentgreen

    ellis_jay Guest

    chuckie® wrote:
    > "soylentgreen" <drm6112@=SPAMBLOCK= blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> Can anyone recommend a simple effective cd labelling software
    >> programme dont want bells and whistles eye candy stuff etc, I have
    >> looked around on the net but am no nearer to finding anything thats
    >> suitable.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    > I know this is a really dumb, stupid suggestion, but, enter 'cd
    > labeling software' into Google (or any other search engine) and check
    > the results...
    >
    > That being said, most brand name cd burning software (Nero and EZCD
    > Creator come to mind) have that function built into them. I have
    > also used SureThing and NTZ (which, I believe, I got with some
    > Memorex CD labels), with good results...luck...

    I don't see the original poster so I hope you do not mind me piggy backing
    here/

    I use undercoverxp from:

    http://www.undercoverxp.tk/

    and I use this one:

    http://www.5star-shareware.com/Windows/Business/BusinessCardsLabels/cd-toolbox.html

    both freeware..........

    --
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his
    government. ___Edward Abbey

    ellis_jay, Jan 28, 2008
  11. soylentgreen

    ellis_jay Guest

    thanatoid wrote:
    > "soylentgreen" <drm6112@=SPAMBLOCK= blueyonder.co.uk> wrote
    > in news:xBtmj.266203$:
    >
    >> Can anyone recommend a simple effective cd labelling
    >> software programme dont want bells and whistles eye candy
    >> stuff etc, I have looked around on the net but am no nearer
    >> to finding anything thats suitable.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > It's called "Sharpie" (standard, NOT the /really/ thin point
    > ones) and can be found in any stationery store and even most
    > supermarkets. In a VARIETY of colors!
    >
    > I'm not joking. Should you ever be unlucky enough to have even a
    > part of a stick-on label come off, it will /most probably/,
    > depending on storage conditions and label quality, take enough
    > of the disc's data with it to render it totally useless.

    I read somewhere that at times the practice can interfere with data reads.
    I have done the Sharpie thing, but try to stay away from it now. I do not
    remember where I read that but it may be that it was a label making
    site...dunno...but then again may be that it is wasn't. Do you have any
    awareness of this issue?

    ellis_jay, Jan 28, 2008
  12. soylentgreen

    thanatoid Guest

    "ellis_jay" <o'> wrote in

    > thanatoid wrote:

    <SNIP>

    >> It's called "Sharpie" (standard, NOT the /really/ thin
    >> point ones) and can be found in any stationery store and
    >> even most supermarkets. In a VARIETY of colors!
    >>
    >> I'm not joking. Should you ever be unlucky enough to have
    >> even a part of a stick-on label come off, it will /most
    >> probably/, depending on storage conditions and label
    >> quality, take enough of the disc's data with it to render
    >> it totally useless.

    > I read somewhere that at times the practice can interfere
    > with data reads.

    I assume you are talking about labels. I haven't heard THAT...

    [and frankly it doesn't make sense - I mean it MAY, but not JUST
    because of the /label/, but because of the problems the label
    CAUSES. I don't know it /that/ makes ANY sense. I am trying not
    to post anymore since I am cracking up.]

    ....but the other stuff I said explains my position on labels and
    glue which may or may not turn to transparent tar depending on a
    variety of factors.

    > I have done the Sharpie thing, but try to
    > stay away from it now.

    So what do you do?

    > I do not remember where I read that
    > but it may be that it was a label making
    > site

    Well, that would be a /RATHER/ subjective statement then,
    wouldn't it? *I* would *also* tell people to stay away from
    Sharpies if I could sell a quarter's worth of paper with some
    glue on it for $10! Not to mention the kickbacks from inkjet
    makers!

    > ...dunno...but then again may be that it is wasn't. Do
    > you have any awareness of this issue?

    Of what "dunno...but then again may be that it is wasn't" means?
    No, I have NO awareness of that at all. :)

    As to the "possible damage by Sharpie", I have been using them
    on *everything* since about 1975. The only problem with them is
    that they don't really stay sharp very long, but still, they are
    the best. Not that THAT means anything, but did you ever wonder
    why almost all autographs from the last 30 years or so look like
    they were written with the same "pen"? Sharpies were for a
    *long* time the only thing that would write on glossy photo
    print paper that some movie (and other) personalities tend to
    have a lot of with them at most times. It also writes on
    virtually everything else. Anyway, enough of the commercial.

    Well, a little more, from the site:

    Sanford turns its focus to the emerging marker business and
    introduces the Sharpie marker. The Sharpie Fine Point black
    marker becomes the first pen-style permanent marker. It writes
    on almost any surface from glass, wood and stone, to plastic,
    metal and, of course, paper. NBC talk show hosts Johnny Carson
    and Jack Parr are some of the first celebrity endorsers.
    --

    I have a Quantegy (formerly Ampex pro products) 650MB CD-R
    burned in January 1997. I have no idea of the ACTUAL

    The "printed surface" they refer to are 2 areas of very thin
    (but discernible by finger-tip) white ink which is printed over
    the golden-surface actual recording multi-layer.

    I used an Extra Fine Sharpie, ON the white ink. I wouldn't be
    writing all this if the disc was no longer good. It is, AFAICT,
    exactly the same as it was 11 years ago. No one /knows/ that it
    won't melt into a golden-grey puddle in 2 months from now, of
    course.

    Anyway, it is not the best example (just the oldest one I have)
    because it has the printed white areas. There ARE as I am sure
    you know CD's and DVD's with a similar white surface intended
    for inkjets and industrial level printing. You could write on
    THOSE with a brand new extra-fine BIC I would imagine, AND press
    hard. I haven't tried them.

    The oldest CD-R's I have which have NO "special printed surface"
    are Maxell 650's from 2003. They MAY have been made a year or
    two before - it was around that time that 650's were beginning
    to be hard to find, but being a bit of a stickler for standards
    (700MB CD's do not conform to the red/orange book CD standards)
    I made a point of seeking them out. I labeled them all with
    Sharpies, and they are still just fine (no pun intended).

    I know someone who uses a Sharpie but only writes on the clear
    plastic center part. He tends to be a little paranoid in
    general. That aside, I must say that especially using a fine
    point extra fine Sharpie, you could fit quite a bit of info even
    in that tiny area. OTOH I would NOT use any but the standard
    Sharpie on the regular multi-layer surface of ANY current
    standard CD-R's.

    I know nothing about DVD's.

    And, to end this WAY too long reply (I told you, I'm losing my
    mind), again, from the Sharpie site:

    --
    Is the Sharpie marker safe for writing on CD's?

    Sanford has used Sharpie markers on CDs for years and we have
    never experienced a problem. We do not believe that the Sharpie
    ink can affect these CDs, however we have not performed any
    long-term laboratory testing to verify this. We have spoken to
    many major CD manufacturers about this issue. They use the
    Sharpie markers on CDs internally as well, and do not believe
    that the Sharpie ink will cause any harm to their products.

    Sharpie CD/DVD marker has a twin tip for added versatility in
    labeling CD and jewel cases.
    --

    Of course, they can not be totally objective about their own
    product (although they do seem to /try/), but certainly appear

    And, to REALLY end the post, may I say that I would rather use a
    Sharpie - perhaps even a medium ball-point! - than ANY pen
    claiming to be "for CD's labbel" (sic).

    --
    "As you know, it is considered bad form to discuss the latest
    news with persons from the beyond."

    thanatoid, Jan 29, 2008