CD insert causes reboots

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Dave, Oct 16, 2007.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    I have a computer that ran fine for a few years. Then it began to
    reboot whenever someone would insert a CD. I assumed it was a bad CD
    Rom.

    I recently rebuilt (reinstalled windows) and installed a different CD/
    DVD burner. The problem is it still reboots when I insert a CD.

    The old burner was PATA the new one is SATA.

    I can figure out how to identify the problem. I have been all over
    the forums. I have looked through the application logs and tweaked
    the registry. I have also uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers and
    burning applications.

    I ran memtest86 for a few hours and did not have any memory errors. I
    also tired booting with only one stick of ram (then switching) and it
    did not help.

    Can someone offer a little direction on where I can go from here?

    OS: WinXP Pro
    Mobo: NF7S V2.0

    Any help or advice would be appreciated!!!

    Dave, Oct 16, 2007

  2. Dave

    Brian Guest

    Sounds like a power supply issue or overheating maybe, try swapping power
    supply to see if that fixes the problem

    Brian, Oct 17, 2007

  3. Might I suggest a problem with the Power Supply.

    The CD Drive is pulling the power down, and this causes a reboot. If you
    have other loads that use the same power, try unplugging them, and perhaps
    using a different power cable to feed the CD Drive, then see if the machine
    still reboots.

    You could have a problem with the CD drive itself, you would test this
    theory by swapping in a different drive.

    Jeff Strickland, Oct 17, 2007
  4. I said that too. Before I read your post, really ...

    Jeff Strickland, Oct 17, 2007
  5. Dave

    JANA Guest

    I have had a bad or under-rated power supply cause exactly what you are
    having!

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Oct 17, 2007
  6. Dave

    Dave Guest

    On Oct 17, 12:36 am, "JANA" <> wrote:
    > I have had a bad or under-rated power supply cause exactly what you are
    > having!
    >
    > --
    >
    > JANA
    > _____
    >
    > "Dave" <> wrote in message

    > I have a computer that ran fine for a few years. Then it began to
    > reboot whenever someone would insert a CD. I assumed it was a bad CD
    > Rom.
    >
    > I recently rebuilt (reinstalled windows) and installed a different CD/
    > DVD burner. The problem is it still reboots when I insert a CD.
    >
    > The old burner was PATA the new one is SATA.
    >
    > I can figure out how to identify the problem. I have been all over
    > the forums. I have looked through the application logs and tweaked
    > the registry. I have also uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers and
    > burning applications.
    >
    > I ran memtest86 for a few hours and did not have any memory errors. I
    > also tired booting with only one stick of ram (then switching) and it
    > did not help.
    >
    > Can someone offer a little direction on where I can go from here?
    >
    > OS: WinXP Pro
    > Mobo: NF7S V2.0
    >
    > Any help or advice would be appreciated!!!

    I will swap out the power supply and let you guys know how it goes.
    Hardware doctor says my -5v rail is bad. I did a little research and
    it looks like the CD drive does not use the -5V. I dont know much
    about PSU's and it was the one that came with the case so hopefully
    this fixes it.

    Dave, Oct 17, 2007