    but no luck. It shows the device under device manager and I can see
    the D drive. It will not play any type of cd or dvd. Can anyone help?
    Thanks
    ron b, Jul 31, 2007

  2. ron b

    - Bobb - Guest

    "ron b" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have a dell desktop with a NEC DVD+RW-3530A drive. I have ran all
    > diagnostics and the computer says its ok. I have updated the driver
    > but no luck. It shows the device under device manager and I can see
    > the D drive. It will not play any type of cd or dvd. Can anyone help?
    > Thanks

    Back up a bit ... a few basic questions:
    WAS it OK until today ? and now just 'doesn't work?'
    Or you "found it and stuck it in there".
    Does it spin/ try to read the disc ?
    Have you tried Music CD ? mp3 ? video ?

    If you set BIOS to boot from CD , does it try ?
    LED activity ? Or is it a paperweight ?
    Windows ?
    Right-click My Computer on desktop - Manage
    Event Viewer - System - anything helpful error messages there ?
    Event Viewer - Application - anything there ?

    Same errors in event log ?
    What error ? - under
    " Event Type: Error"

    click on
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp
    and it will take you to MSFT website to look up the error for you. And
    possible solutions.
    Still need help ? post that info here.
    Bobb
    - Bobb -, Jul 31, 2007

  3. ron b

    ron b Guest

    On Jul 30, 10:20 pm, "- Bobb -" <b...@noemail.123> wrote:
    > "ron b" <> wrote in message

    > >I have a dell desktop with a NEC DVD+RW-3530A drive. I have ran all
    > > diagnostics and the computer says its ok. I have updated the driver
    > > but no luck. It shows the device under device manager and I can see
    > > the D drive. It will not play any type of cd or dvd. Can anyone help?
    > > Thanks

    > Back up a bit ... a few basic questions:
    > WAS it OK until today ? and now just 'doesn't work?'
    > Or you "found it and stuck it in there".
    > Does it spin/ try to read the disc ?
    > Have you tried Music CD ? mp3 ? video ?
    >
    > If you set BIOS to boot from CD , does it try ?
    > LED activity ? Or is it a paperweight ?
    > Windows ?
    > Right-click My Computer on desktop - Manage
    > Event Viewer - System - anything helpful error messages there ?
    > Event Viewer - Application - anything there ?
    >
    > Same errors in event log ?
    > What error ? - under
    > " Event Type: Error"
    >
    > click on
    > http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp
    > and it will take you to MSFT website to look up the error for you. And
    > possible solutions.
    > Still need help ? post that info here.
    > Bobb

    Bobb,

    The device will not read any types of media, yes it sounds like its
    trying to run and boot. It lights up and I can hear the disc spin. The
    driver has not worked for a few weeks. I did find a error: the device
    cdrom0, has a bad block. Microsoft says that the device has a bad
    block of memory which windows attemped to read. Solutions are to
    clean the physical hard drive.
    ron b, Jul 31, 2007
  4. ron b

    - Bobb - Guest

    "ron b" <> wrote in message
    > On Jul 30, 10:20 pm, "- Bobb -" <b...@noemail.123> wrote:
    >> "ron b" <> wrote in message

    >> >I have a dell desktop with a NEC DVD+RW-3530A drive. I have ran all
    >> > diagnostics and the computer says its ok. I have updated the driver
    >> > but no luck. It shows the device under device manager and I can see
    >> > the D drive. It will not play any type of cd or dvd. Can anyone help?
    >> > Thanks

    >> Back up a bit ... a few basic questions:
    >> WAS it OK until today ? and now just 'doesn't work?'
    >> Or you "found it and stuck it in there".
    >> Does it spin/ try to read the disc ?
    >> Have you tried Music CD ? mp3 ? video ?
    >>
    >> If you set BIOS to boot from CD , does it try ?
    >> LED activity ? Or is it a paperweight ?
    >> Windows ?
    >> Right-click My Computer on desktop - Manage
    >> Event Viewer - System - anything helpful error messages there ?
    >> Event Viewer - Application - anything there ?
    >>
    >> Same errors in event log ?
    >> What error ? - under
    >> " Event Type: Error"
    >>
    >> click on
    >> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp
    >> and it will take you to MSFT website to look up the error for you. And
    >> possible solutions.
    >> Still need help ? post that info here.
    >> Bobb

    > Bobb,
    >
    > The device will not read any types of media, yes it sounds like its
    > trying to run and boot. It lights up and I can hear the disc spin. The
    > driver has not worked for a few weeks.

    " >> I have updated the driver but no luck. "

    Did you change the DRIVER ?
    Or was that a typo. If so, why ?
    You mentioned driver (not drive) in first msg and again here.
    Was it OK until you change the driver ?

    If hardware failure and not software (driver), then 'errors reading block
    0' on several CD's means it cannot read at all. Really the only thing I'd
    suggest is to get a vacuum cleaner and - holding it far away - hook it up
    to BLOW - not vacuum - open the Cd drawer and bring the air slowly to the
    open tray . You want to clean out any dust from the tray area and not make
    a mess by disturbing the dust (potentially) inside the PC.
    If that doesn't work - then you're drive has bad read circuitry. Not worth
    fixing. You can buy another dvd/cd for cheap money - or a DVD burner for
    that matter.

    - Bobb -, Jul 31, 2007